Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Cummins has some really interesting technology, if anyone can pull better mileage for the same or better power, they can.

·
608 Posts
Its a good idea. I think a lot of people see diesels as eco-unfriendly, so educating the public about how fuel efficient they can be is a good strategy if they want more people to consider diesel.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a good idea. I think a lot of people see diesels as eco-unfriendly, so educating the public about how fuel efficient they can be is a good strategy if they want more people to consider diesel.
They're not talking to yummy mummies who might be considering a hybrid. They're talking mostly to industry who have to deal with fluctuating fuel costs constantly as part of overhead. If you can help them cut that they'll give you their money all day everyday...

·
608 Posts
They're not talking to yummy mummies who might be considering a hybrid. They're talking mostly to industry who have to deal with fluctuating fuel costs constantly as part of overhead. If you can help them cut that they'll give you their money all day everyday...
Whether its people who want fuel efficiency for cost savings or just to be nicer to the environment, I don't think it really matters. Nissan is happy with either one being their customer.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whether its people who want fuel efficiency for cost savings or just to be nicer to the environment, I don't think it really matters. Nissan is happy with either one being their customer.
Again you're missing the point. Sure all Nissan ans Cummins want is dollars, so the question is what is the path of least resistance to accumulating those dollars?

Is it easier to accumulate dollars selling diesel pickup trucks to yummy suburban mummies or to fleet managers in the oil patch?

Who do you think is attending the Cummins cross country tour? Mummy with a Machiato....I don't think so...

·
608 Posts
They don't have to choose between the two groups though. Fuel efficiency will appeal to both even if its for different reasons.

·
608 Posts
For the other group fuel efficiency is pushed back a few positions or more on what matters.
I mean, given that better fuel economy means saving money, I think that's something that everyone can be excited about. And on top of that its not like they have sacrificed capability to get that fuel economy.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They don't have to choose between the two groups though. Fuel efficiency will appeal to both even if its for different reasons.
You're fighting a losing battle. Why would Nissan go out of their way to market the XD to suburban mommies on the basis of fuel economy, when A) the size and capability of the truck are far greater then necessary B) if you make the fuel econ pitch to suburban mommies you also bring small CUV's into the game which is what that demo is currently buying

Think about it this way. You have 1 dollar to spend on advertising, you're hoping that what you spend the dollar on at LEAST brings back a dollar or more in sales. Which demo seems like the better bet for your dollar, Fleet managers/Oil, construction industry types or suburban moms who want fuel economy and style???

·
608 Posts
You're fighting a losing battle. Why would Nissan go out of their way to market the XD to suburban mommies on the basis of fuel economy, when A) the size and capability of the truck are far greater then necessary B) if you make the fuel econ pitch to suburban mommies you also bring small CUV's into the game which is what that demo is currently buying

Think about it this way. You have 1 dollar to spend on advertising, you're hoping that what you spend the dollar on at LEAST brings back a dollar or more in sales. Which demo seems like the better bet for your dollar, Fleet managers/Oil, construction industry types or suburban moms who want fuel economy and style???
They may market to more contruction type people as far as where they place the ads. All I was saying is that good fuel economy appeals to everyone. Advertising that will appeal to both groups.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They may market to more contruction type people as far as where they place the ads. All I was saying is that good fuel economy appeals to everyone. Advertising that will appeal to both groups.
but not if the advertising dollars won't generate enough return to even cover the cost of the campaign.

No one is saying fuel econ doesn't appeal to both groups, but what I AM saying is that your mommy group has those needs serviced by products that square better with their tastes and needs. Why would I start a conversation with these people when I know that my product doesn't satisfy their needs and there is little possibility of conversion... Think about that...

Nissan already sells them Rogues, why would they want to cannibalize that cash cow instead of building another one with a different demographic...

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Final point I promise. It's still a V8 engine. Its still the same engine RAM turned away from because it wouldn't give them their desired fuel economy targets. If RAM binned it on the basis that they couldn't market it on fuel economy why is it that you think Nissan can now all of a sudden play up the same card?

Diesel V8 vs turbo 4, probaably 1000 lbs of difference in weight... I don't care you're not getting any traction pitching the XD's fuel economy to a yummy mummy...

·
857 Posts
That's a good point and the fact they turned it away is something to think about, being a brand that only builds trucks and does well at it, it sure says something... something Nissan could have learned from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts