Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
20 Posts
I know what you are going through, I've had 6 regen in 808 miles. I'd drive the truck on the highway at 70 MPHs for 30 miles, exit into town and my truck would go into regen. Took it back to the dealer with 607 miles and on my 5th regen, they had the truck all day, drove her 44 miles on a road trip and jammed my rear seat center seat/shoulder belt. Said I was not driving her hard enough. Last week I poured in a gallon of DEF into the tank and now all of sudden my mileage is up and I haven't had a regen for 150 miles.....How is DEF connected to the regen process, fuel mileage not sure, or maybe my truck final burned out all the junk in the DEF after its manufacture?

·
1 Posts
I just purchased mine Tuesday and have 175 mile on it. I have only gotten to drive it twice and both times were about 80 mile roundtrips mostly interstate. On the second trip I has a regen. I had no idea what was going on and thought something was on fire under the dash because of the smell (like burning plastic). My fuel mileage dropped under 10 mpg for about 15 miles. Glad I found this forum today.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Without fail, my truck goes into regen around 300 miles or once every tank. Is this normal for most of you? Don't recall a regen until the 2k mark. Since then, it has been once every tank. Currently at 3900.

·
324 Posts
Without fail, my truck goes into regen around 300 miles or once every tank. Is this normal for most of you? Don't recall a regen until the 2k mark. Since then, it has been once every tank. Currently at 3900.
Depends on my driving. With most of it freeway I go a long ways between regens. When I do a lot of city driving it is once a tank or so.

·
424 Posts
The truck has a timer and will do a regen after 24hrs of run time if one has not been done since reset. That's possible if your working it hard but otherwise the differential pressure across the DPF will trigger it. As noted in the above post, short trips and stop and go traffic, and long idle times will trigger them more frequently. Most of my driving is highway and I still get at least one regen per tank sometimes two.

·
89 Posts
Mine usually Regens every tank or every other tank depending on how many short trips I make on that tank.. What I do notice though, is the Regen usually occurs right after I fill the tank up. Anyone else notice that too?

·
12 Posts
I noticed my first regen on my titan immediately after the second time filling up my tank. After driving 60 or so miles it went out of regen. My truck has 554 miles on it and really only noticed it going into regen this one time. I was getting around 6mpg during the whole process and luckily didn't have any diesel fumes or burning odors in the cab. I only had the truck for just shy of 3 weeks and can't see the DPF being filled with that much soot to cause it to go into the regen process. I could be wrong! I'm still really green with these diesel motors and the emissions systems on these trucks. I called my dealership trying to get information on how the process for these titans going into regen was(mileage, engine hours, diesel top offs) and the service expert was not available. I watched this video explaining the regen process and wanted to know if the information was accurate.

Going into regen right after filling up was not a fun experience!

·
198 Posts
My build date is 12/16. I've had one Regen at 600 miles. I have 1500 now, and to the best of my knowledge, have not had another one. I do however tow a nice size RV which gets the exhaust temp up. I think if you're getting a bunch, get on it harder as mentioned. The key is to produce enough heat in the exhaust to burn out the soot.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
424 Posts
9500KM and no regens but over 8000KM of that has been towing travel trailer. We do not use this truck for a daily driver
If it hasn't then something is broke. The system will do a regen after 24 hours of engine run time even if it's not needed. At 9000km you should have had at least 3-4 regens, but they will be short and running the highway hardly noticeable.

·
5 Posts
Wondering what you think. In the last 6000 miles and since I've been keeping track my truck has regened 17 times. Several times twice on a single tank of fuel. There is some commuting in traffic and driving around town but I try to take the highway as much as possible. Considering switching to a gas engine. No dealer has been able to tell me what is "normal" for this truck.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Wondering what you think. In the last 6000 miles and since I've been keeping track my truck has regened 17 times. Several times twice on a single tank of fuel. There is some commuting in traffic and driving around town but I try to take the highway as much as possible. Considering switching to a gas engine. No dealer has been able to tell me what is "normal" for this truck.
I dont think you will find a "catchall" answer I'm afraid.

Many Titan XD owners (not all) are coming from gas vehicles and are not used to the whole new diesel regen thing. I do miss my old diesel trucks with no DPF/DEF!!

To compare, my 2015 Ram 2500 did the same thing as my Titan. If I did commuter traffic then I would go into regen once per tank with my Ram as I do with my Titan. Now the bad smell is just something you have to deal with until you get some mileage under your belt. The first time my Ram did one I thought I caught the undercarriage on fire. It smelled like burning rubber and everything else! The Titan is the same however it seems to come through the vents more for some reason. The smell gets better and easier to tolerate.

There are passive and active regens. I can only tell I'm in a passive regen, if I come off the highway and stop at a stop sign or stop light in the middle of one. I don't see the same mileage drop as in an active one but when I stop I get a whiff of that bad metal heating up smell. Active regens you will know...You get a major fuel mileage drop and RPM's are different.

I would say my truck, with 17000kms on it, I do one regen every 1500kms or so. But I live in the outskirts of town and do a minority of in city driving. If I leave it idle when its too **** hot to turn it off while waiting for the wife to shop etc I will get a regen for sure during that tank. It makes sense. Diesels are inefficient at idle. they need heat to be efficient. I just got back from a 4000km trip to the East coast of Canada and I think I had one active regen from being in stop and go traffic due to a collision and one passive one.

My final point is that when I first got my truck it went into regen alot. But it gets better as it gets broken in I find. Don't let it idle and take it out and run the snot out of it on the highway every once and a while and you will be happy. Regens are good. It means things are working the way they should be. If they weren't then you would be getting a engine light..

Hope that helps a bit.

·
104 Posts
Probably a stupid question but how does one know when it is in regen mode? I have 3900 miles in one month of ownership and never have seen or heard anything different.

I am almost 20k on my Titan and bought it with less 100 Miles. I have not seen or noticed any indication that a regen is occurring. I do notice a hit burning smell sometimes when I pull in my garage so I am guessing it is performing a regen. I had a 2011 F250 6.7l. It would display a message when the process was happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 57 Posts