Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Diane Allen is the Senior Design manager for the Nissan Titan. Being the head of design for the Titan, she has the best understanding of the Titan's design process, and she has been telling the media about some of the behind-the-scenes details.

As expected with any design process, Allen was confronted with many challenges along the way. The overarching challenge for the Titan was capturing "fullsize, powerful and capable, but all Nissan, not like one of the competitors." Given the clout of competitors from Ford, Ram and Chey, that was a tall order. Ultimately the Titan gives off a unique "big, tough and capable" look that Nissan is proud of.

That was only the big over-arching challenge though. Along the way there were many more minor challenges. Many of those were in the area of aerodynamics. For example, the side mirrors were large and not very aerodynamic. Allen explains that they "had to add curvature to them." Similarly, "the center high-mounted stop light at the back of the cab has two little spoiler on it to help its aerodynamics." It's all these little details that are the true challenge for a design manager.

The big diesel engine also had a big impact on the design. The grille design had to offer sufficient cooling for the diesel engine. That texture on the grille isn't just for show, it functions in just the right way to keep the diesel engine at the right temperature. Allen describes the front face of the Nissan Titan as "the mask of a gladiator."

One thing that Allen talked about I'm not so much a fan of though.

We are really proud of the name Titan, so you see it on the top of the grille, on the back of the bed, in the base headlamp with the standard bulb, even on the cup holder in the back seat.
I think that trucks often go a little crazy plastering the name everywhere. Trucks today are over-badged in my opinion.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1507-interview-with-2016-nissan-titan-senior-design-manager-diane-allen/

·
492 Posts
I agree with you on the overabundance of badging. This is one area where they really stole the Ford SUPER DUTY ideas, including the Cummins fender badge.
Nissan, get rid of it!

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I remember when SuperDuty was the toughest variant of the F-Series and not just marketing bs.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that cars, especially trucks, have gone badge happy. You don't have to put every feature on the side of the vehicle.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think that the Titan is really that much different from its rivals though. They all look kinda the same to me. I just mean that nothing is that revolutionary really.

·
665 Posts
I think the 2008 model year chevy silverado had almost identical lines on the front end as the 1992-1998 F-series. Looked different obviously but look at the headlight outline, grill outline and a few other bits and it screamed OBS Ford.

·
857 Posts
Well they are trucks in the segment they're in and with that follow a recipe of big headlights, big grille, etc that complements its proportions. Each truck still looks uniquely its own

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only so many ways to put a cab and box on rails!
Yea I suppose there is only so much that you can do with it. They are probably just playing to the styling that the customer base wants. I also think that the big grille is a function of having to cool a large engine.

·
665 Posts
Cooling more than just the engine. There needs to be enough airflow to cool the AC condensor, the charge air, the transmission oil, the engine oil and the engine coolant, plus keep the engine bay temperatures under control in a desert on the hottest summer day, pulling it's maximum load.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least we know the tailgate can support weight...I weigh in around 260lbs so it's good to know I can sit on that tailgate :devil:
LOL. She obviously did do a good job with the tailgate. Tested it herself.

·
665 Posts
There is an old German saying: "Never trust a skinny cook."

As far as I'm concerned, she cooked up a **** of a truck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts