Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the same exact message very early on. Like you said the next day when I started the truck the message was gone... It has never been back on...
http://www.titanxdforum.com/#/forumsite/20813/topics/9738?page=1
I thought I remembered seeing some else had that pop up. BTW your link isnt working for me. Did you get it diagnosed?

I have an apointment to take it in this am. So will see if they can still pull the code now that the light re-set its self.

I will say tho after the light went out, its like driving a whole new truck almost feels like some sort of governer just got turned off.

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got the truck back from the dealer. They installed a new software update for the ECM. Makes no difference in how the truck drives.

They also finally installed the replacement carpet after waiting 3 weeks for Nissan to ship it. Only problem now is the dealer did not properly reinstall the rear seat and the drivers kick panel is now loose... argh...

Nissan corporate has at least been calling every 3 days to check in with me on the status and they are sending an engineer out to look at the truck.

I love driving the truck, but I sure hate paying nearly 60K to be a beta tester... especially since this is the 3rd Nissan we have bought new and have grown to expect flawless vehicles.

·
6 Posts
I had the same thing just happen three days ago, lasted a day and a half before it cleared itself one morning. Dropped it off at dealer. Dealer called said they forgot to tell me they only have one Diesel Tech and he won't be in until Monday next week. I am now the proud driver of a white Nissan Sentra loaner car, I can park anywhere now lol!

I have a 2016 XD PR Red. Truck works fine.

Attachments

·
168 Posts
I too had this error about 2k miles ago. It cleared with no issue. Zero problems. It appears to be a software glitch or maybe related to some confusion between throttle input and wheel speed. Who knows? Either way, it's common and nothing that requires a dealer visit in the experience of the forum.

·
1,300 Posts
Nice Truck Actiontkr

·
6 Posts
Update on my truck...So the dealer has done software updates on transmission and the computer that handles the throttle warning. They also are in the midst of repairing a slight rattling in the steering column when the truck points downhill and encounters bumps in the road. Turns out the rattle requires replacement of the entire shifting mechanism in the column. To make it interesting they shipped the part to the wrong dealership (so they say) and now they need to keep it another 6 days. I have to say there has been a couple of issues of communication problems with service and myself which leads me to believe I will take it somewhere else in the future. Once I get it back I'll give a more accurate update.

·
450 Posts
This sounds like a very serious problem. That message means that one of the many failsafe modes in the drive-by-wire throttle control were triggered and your vehicle was put into limp mode to protect you - not protect the truck. I would really grill the service manager on what it is they are doing to correct it and why and ECM update fixed it. I would hate to find out that the ECM update corrected it by simply choosing to ignore whatever failsafe triggered the response.
@realbored - Help us out here big brain!

·
920 Posts
This sounds like a very serious problem. That message means that one of the many failsafe modes in the drive-by-wire throttle control were triggered and your vehicle was put into limp mode to protect you - not protect the truck. I would really grill the service manager on what it is they are doing to correct it and why and ECM update fixed it. I would hate to find out that the ECM update corrected it by simply choosing to ignore whatever failsafe triggered the response.
@realbored - Help us out here big brain!
I haven't seen an ECM update for this warning. It is possible that there is one if the engineers have determined that the ECM software is triggering a false code and putting the truck into limp mode. We have only had one customer that has had the message and it was gone when he brought it in to have it looked at. There was no codes store in the ECM and everything was functioning properly at the time. It has not happened again and it has been about 4 months now. Due to the time when he brought it in I wasn't able to call techline for more information on the cause and wasn't able to find any information about it in the service manual. Being a diesel there is no throttle on the engine. Not what you were looking for but if I get a chance I will see if I can get some more information.

·
426 Posts
Isn't this a required safety mode when the ECU detects an error communicating with the throttle position sensor? So a quick online search brings up as I thought above. Seems electrical issues are the major cause from bad batteries to bad sensors on the same power supply, water in connectors, loose connectors etc.

·
920 Posts
Isn't this a required safety mode when the ECU detects an error communicating with the throttle position sensor? So a quick online search brings up as I thought above. Seems electrical issues are the major cause from bad batteries to bad sensors on the same power supply, water in connectors, loose connectors etc.
There is no throttle position sensor on the engine as there is no throttle. The wording of the warning is probably not the best. The ECM is seeing sensor data from one or multiple sensors that it does not like and is triggering the warning. On Monday if I remember I am going to email our regional technical service rep to get some more information.

·
168 Posts
Mine did not go into limp mode, when this warning message was displayed, albeit it only lasted 45-60seconds. The truck operated "normally" during this time, though.

·
426 Posts
There is no throttle position sensor on the engine as there is no throttle. The wording of the warning is probably not the best. The ECM is seeing sensor data from one or multiple sensors that it does not like and is triggering the warning. On Monday if I remember I am going to email our regional technical service rep to get some more information.
I fully understand what your saying but there is a accelerator pedal position sensor that acts as a fuel/throttle request. Since Toyota had throttle issues back the 2000's with the "drive by wire"system, this safety has been widely used. Doesn't matter if it's a diesel or gas. The warning message is common on RAM 6.7 Cummins trucks when the vehicle battery gets low as well as the EcoDiesel.

·
920 Posts
I fully understand what your saying but there is a accelerator pedal position sensor that acts as a fuel/throttle request. Since Toyota had throttle issues back the 2000's with the "drive by wire"system, this safety has been widely used. Doesn't matter if it's a diesel or gas. The warning message is common on RAM 6.7 Cummins trucks when the vehicle battery gets low as well as the EcoDiesel.
I fully expect the APP sensor would be one input that could cause the message. I just want to find out what other sensors/conditions could cause it. Sometimes it puts trucks into fail safe and sometimes it doesn't so there must be multiple reasons that are causing it. It is frustrating when they don't put the information in the manuals.

·
22 Posts
Fwiw, I had this message come up 4 times in my first 2000 miles on my 2016 diesel. After long and hard troubleshooting, the regional service manager for Nissan found that a contact spade on the female side of the exhaust pressure sensor was bent and therefore causing intermittent contact and generating the warning.

Just wanted to mention because often the exhaust pressure sensor was identified as bad because of the code, but after replacing the sensor it would return. Coupler can only be repaired unless entire engine wiring harness is replaced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
895 Posts
When does this usually occur? During highway/city speed or start up in cold, warm, hot or all weather conditions? And at what mileage on odometer (earlier 2016 yr trk vs 2017 trk model)?

When did all this trk malfunction happen to y'all?

·
920 Posts
Fwiw, I had this message come up 4 times in my first 2000 miles on my 2016 diesel. After long and hard troubleshooting, the regional service manager for Nissan found that a contact spade on the female side of the exhaust pressure sensor was bent and therefore causing intermittent contact and generating the warning.

Just wanted to mention because often the exhaust pressure sensor was identified as bad because of the code, but after replacing the sensor it would return. Coupler can only be repaired unless entire engine wiring harness is replaced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The majority of the time when an intermittent problem occurs it is due to poor pin fit in a connector. It is often overlooked or not checked because it can be very time consuming. Most guys pull the code and if it is not current will just replace whatever part is indicated by the code. It is probably the leading cause of customers having to return for the same issue.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
The majority of the time when an intermittent problem occurs it is due to poor pin fit in a connector. It is often overlooked or not checked because it can be very time consuming. Most guys pull the code and if it is not current will just replace whatever part is indicated by the code. It is probably the leading cause of customers having to return for the same issue.[/QU Exactly what I experienced in thirty plus years in auto service, a unwillingness to dig into a problem further, take the easy road out, once we got better management that pushed for customer satisfaction our lazy tech's either got on board or moved on...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts