Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2017 xd SV, cummins, 37k miles.
My concern is the 60mnth/100k mile warranty is about to expire, and I have been reading posts about all the issues and maintenance with these, mostly the oil leaks. help me feel better as I know most people come to complain.
If I do pull the trigger on this, should I delete it asap?
or should I find a gasser?
I have had a few 1st gen titans and been through the crack manifold business, replacing with jba headers and uprev, etc. not looking for a project. I need a dependable tow vehicle.
Thanks

·
98 Posts
My concern is the 60mnth/100k mile warranty is about to expire, and I have been reading posts about all the issues and maintenance with these, mostly the oil leaks. help me feel better as I know most people come to complain.
I have had a few 1st gen titans and been through the crack manifold business, replacing with jba headers and uprev, etc. not looking for a project. I need a dependable tow vehicle.
Thanks
2017 Titan XD 5.0 Cummins SV 4x4 83k miles

No problems. Put it on a diet 10k miles ago. Best thing I could’ve done. I like the 5.0 more then the 5.9. Came from an 03 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. Had 300k miles when I sold it.

·
453 Posts
If you're going to use it as a diesel and do a lot of towing/hauling, don't worry about deleting it. It'll be fine. Plus you and your neighbors will love not having to put up with the stench of a diesel. But if you're going to use it as a daily driver and only occasionally tow/haul, go with a gasser. Diesel trucks need to be worked and worked hard.

Quite a few diesel XD's up here and I haven't heard of a single problem. But, up here we use trucks as trucks so we work them hard. My '16 diesel XD (32k miles, 90% of which are towing/hauling) just keeps getting better and better because it loves to work.

·
4 Posts
Thanks
Don’t go near it! Just had second engine blow on 2016 xd

·
75 Posts
47,000 on my 2016 XD Diesel. No problems at all.

·
4 Posts
47,000 on my 2016 XD Diesel. No problems at all.
First engine went at 130000 km, second went day after I got it back yesterday after 120km. There is a defect in the Titan Cummins engine. All I’m saying is don’t drive it without a full warranty. They are currently replacing engines in the most recent gas versions as well according to the service manager at my dealership.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
759 Posts
115k on my 16, no problems. Tows like a champ. Also been deleted, definitely recommend it

·
13 Posts
Also looking at a 16 Xd pro4x. 55k miles. Really like the truck, inside and out. Reading these posts makes me nervous though. I live 90 miles from where they were built. Not that that matters but for some reason makes me feel better. Would be my first diesel. Would not tow much at all. Just like the truck and i fee like it’s priced right.

·
98 Posts
Also looking at a 16 Xd pro4x. 55k miles. Really like the truck, inside and out. Reading these posts makes me nervous though. I live 90 miles from where they were built. Not that that matters but for some reason makes me feel better. Would be my first diesel. Would not tow much at all. Just like the truck and i fee like it’s priced right.
I will tell you the truth. I absolutely love my truck and I literally never want to sell it. If my truck started having has issues like everyone else is having, then I would buy a third gen 5.9 Cummins. That is the best Diesel engine there is, hands down. That transmission only has a bad wrap because people would tow to heavy or beat the crap out of it with a hot tune on.

buying an older 5.9 Cummins with really low mileage for upward of 35k miles would be worth it. But again, I don’t want to do that because I love the 5.0 Cummins.

·
453 Posts
If you're not going to tow much it makes no sense to buy a diesel. Why buy a truck that doesn't meet your needs?

·
505 Posts
If you're going to use it as a diesel and do a lot of towing/hauling, don't worry about deleting it. It'll be fine. Plus you and your neighbors will love not having to put up with the stench of a diesel. But if you're going to use it as a daily driver and only occasionally tow/haul, go with a gasser. Diesel trucks need to be worked and worked hard.

Quite a few diesel XD's up here and I haven't heard of a single problem. But, up here we use trucks as trucks so we work them hard. My '16 diesel XD (32k miles, 90% of which are towing/hauling) just keeps getting better and better because it loves to work.
^^What this guy said^^

I had a 2016 Cummins XD. Had the turbo blow at 150,000 miles along with the EGR going bad. After 80,000 miles had tons of issues with emissions, DEF, etc. The daily drama and poor reliability was so frustrating. Traded it in for a gasser XD and absolutely, positively LOVE this truck. Fantastic platform. I would only recommend people buying a diesel for people who uses trucks to WORK them like a diesel. If you get the Diesel, go on a diet and VERY importantly add a catch can on the turbo. The diesels are capable, but for longevity, you have to put it on a diet and add the catch can. I've owned both trucks. Put 150,000 on the diesel and now have 50,000 miles on the XD gasser. I LOVE the gasser. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

·
98 Posts
^^What this guy said^^

I had a 2016 Cummins XD. Had the turbo blow at 150,000 miles along with the EGR going bad. After 80,000 miles had tons of issues with emissions, DEF, etc. The daily drama and poor reliability was so frustrating. Traded it in for a gasser XD and absolutely, positively LOVE this truck. Fantastic platform. I would only recommend people buying a diesel for people who uses trucks to WORK them like a diesel. If you get the Diesel, go on a diet and VERY importantly add a catch can on the turbo. The diesels are capable, but for longevity, you have to put it on a diet and add the catch can. I've owned both trucks. Put 150,000 on the diesel and now have 50,000 miles on the XD gasser. I LOVE the gasser. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
That is such an old way of thinking. Thousands of people buy diesel trucks for performance now. Swapping Diesel engines in old muscle cars is becoming a big thing. To tell someone it’s only for work is nonsense.

·
13 Posts
I’m not going to lie, reading this forum has caused me to rethink this purchase. Don’t mean to hi jack this post either but what exactly is “diet”. Is that deleting ? Is there a post someone can link me to that show’s pro’s and cons? Someone who’s opinion I trust said to be careful with mods and there is a reason it comes a certain way from the factory. Man, I really like this truck but I don’t know. Thanks.

·
13 Posts
I’m not going to lie, reading this forum has caused me to rethink this purchase. Don’t mean to hi jack this post either but what exactly is “diet”. Is that deleting ? Is there a post someone can link me to that show’s pro’s and cons? Someone who’s opinion I trust said to be careful with mods and there is a reason it comes a certain way from the factory. Man, I really like this truck but I don’t know. Thanks.
And to be clear...I appreciate EVERYONE’S opinion. Whether they are positive or negative toward the truck. I’m 51 and this would be my first diesel and the nicest truck I e had in 20 years. It’s priced right. it will come with a ONE YEAR WARRANTY bumper to bumper. The truck did have def fluid put in the diesel. It was fix in Canton MS Where they are made. That in itself is giving me pause. Maybe I’ve just got the “wants” to bad.

·
759 Posts
Diet is in reference to the certain mod you mentioned. There are no cons that I can think of to those particular mods and I would disagree with "vehicles are best out of the factory." They need to meet a certain criteria, they don't care about longevity. As far as def in the diesel, if the truck was repaired properly, like tank drained and flushed, fuel filters changed once or twice, and the truck is a good price... I wouldn't be totally terrified of that.

·
759 Posts
As to the OP question/concern, I'm bias towards diesels, I hope to never own anything but a diesel, therefore my recommendation would be diesel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts