Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
454 Posts
If you have money to burn and are ok with a short life for your truck, then definitely buy a truck that is the exact opposite of your needs and drive it the exact opposite of what it was built for. To play off the "Ferrari" comment, what you're planning to do is like buying a Ferrari and never going over 30mph. Like a diesel truck, race cars need to be worked and worked hard. That's what they're made for. But, hey, go for it!

For Jchar19, I would stay away from a used diesel that had DEF put into the diesel tank if it only comes with a 1 year warranty. Read through the forum to hear horror stories about making that mistake.

·
98 Posts
If you have money to burn and are ok with a short life for your truck, then definitely buy a truck that is the exact opposite of your needs and drive it the exact opposite of what it was built for. To play off the "Ferrari" comment, what you're planning to do is like buying a Ferrari and never going over 30mph. Like a diesel truck, race cars need to be worked and worked hard. That's what they're made for. But, hey, go for it!

For Jchar19, I would stay away from a used diesel that had DEF put into the diesel tank if it only comes with a 1 year warranty. Read through the forum to hear horror stories about making that mistake.
One thing we can agree with, wouldn’t buy it after having DEF in the fuel tank.

·
310 Posts
I wonder if it has a salvage title due to having DEF in the fuel tank.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
760 Posts
It really depends on how long the truck ran after having def in the tank. If it was shut down immediately and taken care of properly then it'll be fine, but I guess that's what you're risking by not knowing. However if it's running fine, I don't think def will cause any long term unforseen damage.

·
505 Posts
That is such an old way of thinking. Thousands of people buy diesel trucks for performance now. Swapping Diesel engines in old muscle cars is becoming a big thing. To tell someone it’s only for work is nonsense.
To each their own. You want to own a diesel, go for it. But having owned a modern diesel in the XD platform and driving the wheels off of it for work (50,000 miles a year), I'll never own a modern diesel again unless I tow heavy on a weekly basis. I know they can be used in old muscle cars, jeeps, off road buggys, etc. But the EPA is seriously cracking down on tunes and deleting. And the new diesels are so choked, the performance gains are nothing like what can be done with a quality tune and delete. This takes the fun factor out of using them in other vehicles. As that continues to take hold (and it will), its unlikely people will use them for old muscle cars et al. What is also taking place is people converting old muscle cars to electric (and I'm not a tree hugger). That's becoming bigger and bigger. Expect more of that to happen to keep the greenies happy.

·
98 Posts
To each their own. You want to own a diesel, go for it. But having owned a modern diesel in the XD platform and driving the wheels off of it for work (50,000 miles a year), I'll never own a modern diesel again unless I tow heavy on a weekly basis. I know they can be used in old muscle cars, jeeps, off road buggys, etc. But the EPA is seriously cracking down on tunes and deleting. And the new diesels are so choked, the performance gains are nothing like what can be done with a quality tune and delete. This takes the fun factor out of using them in other vehicles. As that continues to take hold (and it will), its unlikely people will use them for old muscle cars et al. What is also taking place is people converting old muscle cars to electric (and I'm not a tree hugger). That's becoming bigger and bigger. Expect more of that to happen to keep the greenies happy.
It’ll make having a diesel on a diet plan that much more cool and unique.

·
310 Posts
Would that one thing be enough? That’s definitely considered a “major” problem if so.
It might...

Search for posts regarding the costs involved in repairing the damage...

I recall seeing costs upwards of $20K. Some have turned it in to insurance, etc.

·
10 Posts
^^What this guy said^^

I had a 2016 Cummins XD. Had the turbo blow at 150,000 miles along with the EGR going bad. After 80,000 miles had tons of issues with emissions, DEF, etc. The daily drama and poor reliability was so frustrating. Traded it in for a gasser XD and absolutely, positively LOVE this truck. Fantastic platform. I would only recommend people buying a diesel for people who uses trucks to WORK them like a diesel. If you get the Diesel, go on a diet and VERY importantly add a catch can on the turbo. The diesels are capable, but for longevity, you have to put it on a diet and add the catch can. I've owned both trucks. Put 150,000 on the diesel and now have 50,000 miles on the XD gasser. I LOVE the gasser. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

·
266 Posts
Would that one thing be enough? That’s definitely considered a “major” problem if so.
I get the "cool & Unique" ... BUT,,,
So unique, especially after Cummins discontinued manufacturing the ISV (5.0L V8 platform) as of August 2019. So unique that even after the short-term "Pandemic/chip shortages" are resolved, there will never be a surplus of Cummins 5.0 parts..
So unique there has never been a large after-market parks market

So, yeah, for unique!

Losing my interest in the "cool", tho' I really do love my '17 5.0 PR.

I'd go with a gasser.

·
310 Posts
I saw a post last night on the FB XD forum from a guy who had his truck at the dealer for two months waiting on a turbo actuator, He got the truck back, it threw a CEL and now they say it needs a whole turbo, so he gets to wait some more.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts