Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to talk to you about one of the name brands we offer for the XD, Amsoil.

Specifically the signature series Max duty synthetic diesel oil for the Titan XD.

The signature series offers maximum engine protection with six more times wear protection than conventional motor oil. It is compatible with other conventional oils and my favorite, two times Recommended service life. That's fewer oil changes with the same protection and less work.

Know that your maintenance is done the best by using the best products available.

Read more about this product here.

There are many way to purchase AMSOIL. Please contact myself or @mrmanners for more information or a quote.

·
1,263 Posts
Hmm...$109.45 plus shipping for 2.5 gallons.... Have to think some before spending that....

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...$109.45 plus shipping for 2.5 gallons.... Have to think some before spending that....
While this may seem like a lot of money for 2.5 gallons of oil, keep in mind a couple things. One, this is a full synthetic motor oil made from group 4 chemical base stocks and group 5 additives. There zero dyno oil in any product from AMSOIL. Next, if you run this per AMSOIL recommended drain interval, you are saving 1-2 oil change per year depending on how many miles you put on your truck. Remember when combined with an AMSOIL EaO oil filter, AMSOIL guarantees the recommended drain interval.

Lastly, there are many ways to purchase AMSOIL to save you money. Most AMSOIL users are setup as Preferred Customers or become dealers themselves, which typically will save you 15-25 percent off full retail. AMSOIL in January started offering free shipping to Preferred Customers and Dealers with orders over 100 dollars.

If you are interested in this product for your Titan or anything else you might own, please contact me for a specific quote. I can save you some money off retail!

·
1,263 Posts
Guess you've never bought any expensive motorcycle oil.
That would be a bargain.
I always use Honda synthetic oil in my Goldwing and Valkyrie....but they only hold 5 quarts.

·
895 Posts
Although Amsoil oils are with good reputation and an unheard of cause for a blown engine, Amsoil Siginature series is not API approved and Nissan could determine to void engine warranty issues w/o problem. Beside that for those that don't care, Amsoil dealers are everywhere and need for shipping is a rarity.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This comment and concern about AMSOIL comes up all the time. Did you know when checking the Shell Rotella website, the T4 and T6 oils I reviewed say nothing about being API "Approved" or "Certified"?

AMSOIL meets or exceeds ALL API requirements for that grade of oil. AMSOIL does not "Certify" their products with API due to the cost of the certification and restrictions applied afterwards. AMSOIL is continually improving their product formulations for one thing or another. If they certified their oil and then made a formulation change that improved something, they would have to recertify it again. By doing it this way, they save you money.

The oil industry as a hole has increased prices nearly every year due to increased costs of base products and additives. AMSOIL has only implemented minor price increased over the last 5 yrs. In some cases prices have stayed the same while other mfg has increased theirs.

Regarding your comment about warranty. AMSOIL backs their products completely and under the law Nissan cannot void your warranty for using an oil not recommended by them. They could try, but would have to prove chemically that the oil was the cause of the malfunction and them AMSOIL would back you up.

If I can answer any other questions or help you with a quote on AMSOIL, please don't hesitate to ask.

·
2 Posts
Oil weight

Hello. Just picked ip a NEW, 2017 XD single cab w/Cummins. The owners manual says 5W 40 below 68 F. 10W 30 from -9 on up. That can't be right. Is that a misprint. You would think the 5W 40 would be better in warmer temps. Would you recommend 5W 40 years round? I'm planning on changing to Amsoil once I pass a thousand miles..

nick

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
This comment and concern about AMSOIL comes up all the time. Did you know when checking the Shell Rotella website, the T4 and T6 oils I reviewed say nothing about being API "Approved" or "Certified"?

AMSOIL meets or exceeds ALL API requirements for that grade of oil. AMSOIL does not "Certify" their products with API due to the cost of the certification and restrictions applied afterwards. AMSOIL is continually improving their product formulations for one thing or another. If they certified their oil and then made a formulation change that improved something, they would have to recertify it again. By doing it this way, they save you money.

The oil industry as a hole has increased prices nearly every year due to increased costs of base products and additives. AMSOIL has only implemented minor price increased over the last 5 yrs. In some cases prices have stayed the same while other mfg has increased theirs.

Regarding your comment about warranty. AMSOIL backs their products completely and under the law Nissan cannot void your warranty for using an oil not recommended by them. They could try, but would have to prove chemically that the oil was the cause of the malfunction and them AMSOIL would back you up.

If I can answer any other questions or help you with a quote on AMSOIL, please don't hesitate to ask.
Misinformation. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 does meet API Service....here is a picture of the back of the bottle from my last oil change?
I have run either Rotella or Mystic for the last 30 plus years...never an issue.
My first choice is Mystic but not readily available in Central Texas.
My second choice is Rotella...if I had to choose a third it would be Delo.
That's from 32 years of diesel ownership and working on and rebuilding diesel engines.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

Misinformation. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 does meet API Service....here is a picture of the back of the bottle from my last oil change?
I have run either Rotella or Mystic for the last 30 plus years...never an issue.
My first choice is Mystic but not readily available in Central Texas.
My second choice is Rotella...if I had to choose a third it would be Delo.
That's from 32 years of diesel ownership and working on and rebuilding diesel engines.
Sorry..forgot to attach the pic..her e it is for the Rotella..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

Dude..no one should be running Amsoil product in their diesel engine unless they believe in snake oil.
There is not one major (over 50 truck) fleet of Class 5-8 trucks with diesel engines running Amsoil as their oil for their fleet in their Cummins, International, Detroit, CAT, Mack engines.....
If Amsoil was such a great product then fleets would be using it. Fleets are the test bed for "all things diesel" related...

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello. Just picked ip a NEW, 2017 XD single cab w/Cummins. The owners manual says 5W 40 below 68 F. 10W 30 from -9 on up. That can't be right. Is that a misprint. You would think the 5W 40 would be better in warmer temps. Would you recommend 5W 40 years round? I'm planning on changing to Amsoil once I pass a thousand miles..

nick
Not sure whats going on with your manual bur yes 5W 40 year round. You'll be fine. Contact me when your ready to buy Amsoil.

·
Vendor
64 Posts
Where’s Amsoil on the CES20086/20081 certification list?

http://lubritecinc.com/PDF/CES 20086(2).pdf
Being in the business for 10 years now, I have seen questions like this come up as much as I have seen the question what is the "best oil" for my (pick a mfg) new truck. First one that comes to mind immediately is AMSOIL Torque Drive which is a product nearly identical to Castrol Transynd when compared under lab conditions. It is recommended by AMSOIL for most Allison Transmissions. It is not on Allison's recommended list of products for the same reason as you are not seeing it on the product you shared here.

Most times, to be added to a given list, that manufacturer wants you to pay them to run it through testing and their "certification" process. A very expensive process. AMSOIL uses the standards set forth by manufacturers and the API in their test and evaluation process before a product is released to the market so AMSOIL proved within their own labs that it meets or exceeds the standards set forth. From a business perspective, why would you pay someone money outside of your organization to prove a product complies with their requirements when your own lab has already done that?

Then when a product is "certified" by the API or manufacturer standard, the formulation is locked in and cannot be changed or it voids the certification. AMSOIL does not "certify" their signature series extended drain oils as they are continually testing and finding improvements to their formulations.

If oil companies certified through API or manufacturer standard with every new product OR reformulate it would drive prices through the roof. That is why you see Meets or Exceeds....

Specifically to Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40, it meets or exceeds the following standards:

• API CK-4/SN, CJ-4, CI-4+, CF
  • Volvo VDS4.5, VDS4, VDS3
  • Mack EOS-4.5, EO-O
  • Renault RLD-4, RLD-3
  • Cummins CES20086, CES20081
  • Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3, ECF-1-a
  • DDC 93K218, 93K215, 93K214
  • DFS 93K222
  • ACEA E9, E7
  • MB 228.31
  • MAN 3575
  • MTU Type 2.1, II, I
  • JASO DH-2
  • Allison TES439
  • Deutz DQC III-10LA
  • Scania LA-2
  • Chrysler MS 10902
  • Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
One final note. AMSOIL does API certify their OE "oem recommended drain interval" and XL "12k miles or 1 year" line of products. If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Vendor
64 Posts
@Arice, the image you attached doesn't say anything about certified by API nor show an API certification brand. I did some digging and found Shell Rotella T6 on the API certification list. My apologies for not doing my due diligence and depending on Shell website about Rotella. It is unfortunate that Shell has not done a better job of clearly identifying it is an API Certified product. AMSOIL clearly does state it in their website product description and on the front of the bottle for their OE (OEM specific drain interval) and XL (12k miles or one year) products. Here is a list of API certified AMSOIL products for gassers. AMSOIL has always done an excellent job of providing as much information as possible about all their products.

What does the API certification really do though for the end user? You get the fancy label, you get a 2d or even 3d lab to test the oil formulation, breaking it down, verifying the formulation meets any and all standards. Now though, Rotella T6 or pick a certified brand, is locked in and cannot changed. If Rotella find a way to improve their formulation, they are stuck because now they have to pay the expensive process of re-certifying their product, ultimately increasing the product price. AMSOIL and several other oil companies do all this testing in their labs and prove that a given formulation meets or exceeds the standards sets forth. This saves them and their customers undue expense. From a personal aspect, I really don't see the added value of "certification".

Some will call it "snake oil or pick another derogatory term" because they cannot just run the the corner auto parts store and find it on the shelf or they have only ran one brand and that is the only brand that matters to them. AMSOIL's business model from the beginning, over 40 years ago, has been for independent dealers like myself and my team to market and sell their products. You can search for and find local retail shops and dealers who keep AMSOIL on their shelves though. Many NAPA franchises and motorcycle shops carry AMSOIL.

Over the decades of being in the business, big box stores have wanted to put AMSOIL on their shelves but AMSOIL has stayed dedicated to their dealers, small oil change locations, repair shops, retail outlets and commercial companies with fleets of equipment vehicles and that model has worked well for them. Some will understand that dedication to the little guy versus doing strictly volume, big box stores. Most will find though there is a lack of informative information when it comes to knowledge of sales help in big box stores. Being a little guy in this business, I certainly appreciate AMSOIL's approach.

Synthetic Motorsports business model has always been E-Commerce, becoming a vendor, then helping out on forums like this providing information about aftermarket parts and a lubricant option to forum members who don't have it locally. While we are not on the same level as you; Synthetic Motorsports brings 10 years of experience, knowledge and brand dedication to the Duramax, Powerstroke and Cummins (to include the Titan) market. I am positive @Arice, your 30 years of diesel experience, knowledge of diesels and brand dedication are all extremely valuable to a community that is new to diesels, thanks! If you don't like AMSOIL because you feel it is "snake oil or something else" we understand that is your opinion and kindly ask that you move on to another thread. "

If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
@Arice, the image you attached doesn't say anything about certified by API nor show an API certification brand. I did some digging and found Shell Rotella T6 on the API certification list. My apologies for not doing my due diligence and depending on Shell website about Rotella. It is unfortunate that Shell has not done a better job of clearly identifying it is an API Certified product. AMSOIL clearly does state it in their website product description and on the front of the bottle for their OE (OEM specific drain interval) and XL (12k miles or one year) products. Here is a list of API certified AMSOIL products for gassers. AMSOIL has always done an excellent job of providing as much information as possible about all their products.

What does the API certification really do though for the end user? You get the fancy label, you get a 2d or even 3d lab to test the oil formulation, breaking it down, verifying the formulation meets any and all standards. Now though, Rotella T6 or pick a certified brand, is locked in and cannot changed. If Rotella find a way to improve their formulation, they are stuck because now they have to pay the expensive process of re-certifying their product, ultimately increasing the product price. AMSOIL and several other oil companies do all this testing in their labs and prove that a given formulation meets or exceeds the standards sets forth. This saves them and their customers undue expense. From a personal aspect, I really don't see the added value of "certification".

Some will call it "snake oil or pick another derogatory term" because they cannot just run the the corner auto parts store and find it on the shelf or they have only ran one brand and that is the only brand that matters to them. AMSOIL's business model from the beginning, over 40 years ago, has been for independent dealers like myself and my team to market and sell their products. You can search for and find local retail shops and dealers who keep AMSOIL on their shelves though. Many NAPA franchises and motorcycle shops carry AMSOIL.

Over the decades of being in the business, big box stores have wanted to put AMSOIL on their shelves but AMSOIL has stayed dedicated to their dealers, small oil change locations, repair shops, retail outlets and commercial companies with fleets of equipment vehicles and that model has worked well for them. Some will understand that dedication to the little guy versus doing strictly volume, big box stores. Most will find though there is a lack of informative information when it comes to knowledge of sales help in big box stores. Being a little guy in this business, I certainly appreciate AMSOIL's approach.

Synthetic Motorsports business model has always been E-Commerce, becoming a vendor, then helping out on forums like this providing information about aftermarket parts and a lubricant option to forum members who don't have it locally. While we are not on the same level as you; Synthetic Motorsports brings 10 years of experience, knowledge and brand dedication to the Duramax, Powerstroke and Cummins (to include the Titan) market. I am positive @Arice, your 30 years of diesel experience, knowledge of diesels and brand dedication are all extremely valuable to a community that is new to diesels, thanks! If you don't like AMSOIL because you feel it is "snake oil or something else" we understand that is your opinion and kindly ask that you move on to another thread. "

Another member of this forum questioned my intelligence and understanding of oils and petroleum products and was defending Amsoil because he "knew folks" at Amsoil that could "school me" up and down.
Well hopefully he's reading this post.
You just stated that the picture of Rotella synthetic I posted stated nothing about API certification.
Boy...you are really hoping the audience is stupid aren't you.
I'm reposting the picture with the API service ratings and you...better than anyone, should know that any manufacturer that uses the word or term "API" in regards to standards and certification could be held liable for "misrepresentation".
Do you think Shell is that stupid or arrogant and would expose themselves in that manner in today's world?
Of course they don't or wouldn't.
Why don't you simply get the owners of Amsoil to run the certification tests and get OEMs to bless and all this will be put to bed.
You would think, if your product provided such reliability and engine life, a company like Cummins would be the first to jump on board to help make their engine products look and sale better.?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

Another member of this forum questioned my intelligence and understanding of oils and petroleum products and was defending Amsoil because he "knew folks" at Amsoil that could "school me" up and down.
Well hopefully he's reading this post.
You just stated that the picture of Rotella synthetic I posted stated nothing about API certification.
Boy...you are really hoping the audience is stupid aren't you.
I'm reposting the picture with the API service ratings and you...better than anyone, should know that any manufacturer that uses the word or term "API" in regards to standards and certification could be held liable for "misrepresentation".
Do you think Shell is that stupid or arrogant and would expose themselves in that manner in today's world?
Of course they don't or wouldn't.
Why don't you simply get the owners of Amsoil to run the certification tests and get OEMs to bless and all this will be put to bed.
You would think, if your product provided such reliability and engine life, a company like Cummins would be the first to jump on board to help make their engine products look and sale better.?
....and by the way....I'm not brand loyal to Shell or Rotella products. I'm only loyal to what I know, thru objective measurement thru the years, actually works and is the most economical overall.
Lastly you also can quit with the "grass roots" small guy dealership deal...you know if you could sale a couple thousand gallons to a "big boy" you'd do it in a minute.

·
Vendor
64 Posts
My apologies to the group. What started as a thread to be informative has turned into a bashing session. That is not what Synthetic Motorsports is out to do and wont participate in it. Too many times I have seen forums threads like this go in a completely different direction that what the post was started for.

We are not here to misrepresent, judgemental, argumentative or just be sales guys. It doesn't do anyone any good. If you have further questions about AMSOIL or any other lubricant, please feel free to contact us.

Thread is closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.