Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many snapped cranks are out there, does anyhow know how we can find out and what’s causing it. No ever seems to have a proper diagnosis from nissan. I don’t buy the fuel is bad, harness issues seems to come up or oil. I see bearing issues from lack of lubricant, but no reason why. But what indicators if any have there been. I know the number is low but it’s not low enough to know that there is a issue. Are they ticking time bombs I don’t think so but the number does raise a brow

·
53 Posts
From what I have read from another member who is suing Nissan to get his engine replaced, there has been about 400 snapped cranks. Both stock and modified. There were about 14,000 of these engines put in Titans so that is still a very small percentage of failures. There have been reports of the wire harnesses being bad and an injector being stuck open, leading to snapped cranks. Others have shown that their crank had bluing at the bearings showing heat damage while others have shown none at all. Bad fuel shouldn't cause a snapped crank but perhaps the quality of oil does. For example, it has been shown that Rotella T6 does not do well in these engines and only lasts about 5,000 miles before it shears down. However, in other applications T6 does just fine. While I'm no expert, the T6 results and bluing of the bearings leads me to believe that these engines are just hard on oil so I run a high quality oil as insurance. Will it help? Only time will tell I suppose. As for what exactly is causing these failures? Might just be a bad batch of cranks. There have been a couple of these trucks that have crossed the 200k mile range, one even passed 300k, so they can go the distance. Seems to be down to luck. Some people have multiple issues with their Titans while others have none.

·
41 Posts
Might just be a bad batch of cranks.
I’m thinking this is the most likely reason. Cummins has a really good reputation and track record building Diesel engines for many years.

I too would like to know the actual number of crank failures. If someone knows where we can find this would be great.

·
132 Posts
I agree that T6 does not do well in this engine. I ran it once and it was the only time I have had a change engine oil light come on. I do not have the count up reminder set up so the warning wasn’t that. I personally try and change the oil every 5 k miles but no more then 6k. I did three oils changes this year and will need another one in 2k miles. I use 10w30 in hot months and the 5w40 in winter months. This is per the manual. I do my fuel filters every 10k. Currently at 48k miles with no engine problems. I really wonder if most of these failures are from people not maintaining their trucks properly and beating them to hell and back. There is a difference between working a truck and beat the hell out of a vehicle. Just my 2 cents. But would really like to know if this is a manufacturer issue or abuse. I am considering upgrading the truck but I am worried about injector harness failure. I am not interested in horse power gains just reliability improvements. Emission warranty is up at 50k so I may do it then. But I have seen more and more 100k plus mile truck that are still stock so I don’t know. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the shell oil T6 more specifically. My engine didn’t like it found it noisy and excessively loud. Errr switched to amsoil and the DB‘s instantly quietened. even though it’s a small number it’s a large portion of major real complaints. This is what is taking our engines out. Very few transmission issues, besides flairs.

·
271 Posts
From what I have read from another member who is suing Nissan to get his engine replaced, there has been about 400 snapped cranks. Both stock and modified. There were about 14,000 of these engines put in Titans so that is still a very small percentage of failures. There have been reports of the wire harnesses being bad and an injector being stuck open, leading to snapped cranks. Others have shown that their crank had bluing at the bearings showing heat damage while others have shown none at all. Bad fuel shouldn't cause a snapped crank but perhaps the quality of oil does. For example, it has been shown that Rotella T6 does not do well in these engines and only lasts about 5,000 miles before it shears down. However, in other applications T6 does just fine. While I'm no expert, the T6 results and bluing of the bearings leads me to believe that these engines are just hard on oil so I run a high quality oil as insurance. Will it help? Only time will tell I suppose. As for what exactly is causing these failures? Might just be a bad batch of cranks. There have been a couple of these trucks that have crossed the 200k mile range, one even passed 300k, so they can go the distance. Seems to be down to luck. Some people have multiple issues with their Titans while others have none.
I do long trips with my truck towing a 7K TT, I have noticed that oil gets really thick @5K miles so I was forced to change it early, I'm not sure what oil is used I still have free oil change from Nissan dealer when I bought it, and while on the road, I just paid for oil changes. What oil do you recommend? Lots of forum member says Rotella T6 is their choice, so now I have doubts lol.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My goal on this thread is to find us some definitive answers. on 10-30 she does run smooth I won’t argue there. Let’s see who else will chime in hopefully with some answers.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I have been running 15-40 Rotella T6 (except for once I ran Royal Purple). I just ordered Amsoil 5-40. I will send the rotella off for analysis after the change. It will have around 5000 miles on it. I also run a bypass kit from Amsoil. When I get another 10000 I will pull the Amsoil and run another analysis. I might pull a sample at 5000 for an apples to apples comparison.

·
311 Posts
I’ve been running the 10-30, also since new.

I just sent off my oil sample to Blackstone, yesterday. This will be my first oil analysis since I’ve deleted.

I will compare it to my other analysis from before I deleted. All other variables remain the same.

10-30 at 10k intervals, all service done on time.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Here is the thread I was talk of ng about.

·
419 Posts
To avoid high stress on the crank bearings and the crank itself, keep the engine above 1600 rpm (where peak torque occurs) under higher boost conditions. This includes climbing a hill when empty. I have a long steady hill near my house where the engine will run 18+psi boost at 1250-1300 rpm for some 30-40 seconds if I don’t manually down shift. The engine/transmission programming doesn’t prevent this from happening when in normal mode but it really should. Tow haul mode is better at keep rpm up higher.

·
371 Posts
Ok gang, I have been running Rotella T6 since the beginning with my truck. I'm at 144,000 miles and going fine. When I first bought the truck, I accidentally ran into a Nissan developer of the Titan XD who lived near me in AZ. He told me to run T6, change it every 10K, and the truck would last a LONG time. Not buying the T6 reasoning. Are other oils better? Possibly. Ask 100 people, you will get 100 different answers.

If I had to take a stab at this, I'd say its a bad batch of cranks. 400 out of 14,000 is 2.9%. That's a HIGH failure rate IMO, enough to have a recall. JMHO - if those numbers are correct

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok gang, I have been running Rotella T6 since the beginning with my truck. I'm at 144,000 miles and going fine. When I first bought the truck, I accidentally ran into a Nissan developer of the Titan XD who lived near me in AZ. He told me to run T6, change it every 10K, and the truck would last a LONG time. Not buying the T6 reasoning. Are other oils better? Possibly. Ask 100 people, you will get 100 different answers.

If I had to take a stab at this, I'd say its a bad batch of cranks. 400 out of 14,000 is 2.9%. That's a HIGH failure rate IMO, enough to have a recall. JMHO - if those numbers are correct
i absolutely agree the number is uncharacteristically high.

·
111 Posts
I have been running 15-40 Rotella T6 (except for once I ran Royal Purple). I just ordered Amsoil 5-40. I will send the rotella off for analysis after the change. It will have around 5000 miles on it. I also run a bypass kit from Amsoil. When I get another 10000 I will pull the Amsoil and run another analysis. I might pull a sample at 5000 for an apples to apples comparison.
Why change a 5K with bypass? I thought you got extended miles with by pass?

·
Banned
356 Posts
Why change a 5K with bypass? I thought you got extended miles with by pass?
I normally do it when the system tells me too, between 7500-8500 on average. Yes, you can run extended with a bypass, but I dont take any chances. Why ask for trouble? I know guys do it with no problems, but I dont mind spending the money for the piece of mind. Once I change it to Amsoil, I will go to 10000 miles and run another oil analysis to see how its holding up. Maybe I will extend it from there, but maybe not.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To avoid high stress on the crank bearings and the crank itself, keep the engine above 1600 rpm (where peak torque occurs) under higher boost conditions. This includes climbing a hill when empty. I have a long steady hill near my house where the engine will run 18+psi boost at 1250-1300 rpm for some 30-40 seconds if I don’t manually down shift. The engine/transmission programming doesn’t prevent this from happening when in normal mode but it really should. Tow haul mode is better at keep rpm up higher.
i have the exact same issue with the hills in my town with stop and go she doesn’t want to down shift. She’ll spool then grab

1 - 20 of 34 Posts