Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
24 Posts
I think you all need to take that 400 number with a grain of salt. That is not an official number, but from a post on this forum of a guy who new a guy who works for Cummins or Nissan who heard 400 or thought it was 400. Maybe it is true, but there is absolutely nothing validating this number.

Not attacking any one here but one guy breaking cranks is towing travel trailers for a living with his XD. Sure he is with in limits but I would of assume most of you all are not towing a rv every day all over the country. This truck was probably never designed to be used like this commercially.

If you google Cummins broken cranks plenty of Ram guys have broken cranks as well.

My truck just hit 60k and runs awesome and it’s stock.

You guys are getting way to hung up on internet speculation. Take care of your truck, change the oil when your supposed to and check occasionally between fills, you will be fine. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
356 Posts
I think you all need to take that 400 number with a grain of salt. That is not an official number, but from a post on this forum of a guy who new a guy who works for Cummins or Nissan who heard 400 or thought it was 400. Maybe it is true, but there is absolutely nothing validating this number.

Not attacking any one here but one guy breaking cranks is towing travel trailers for a living with his XD. Sure he is with in limits but I would of assume most of you all are not towing a rv every day all over the country. This truck was probably never designed to be used like this commercially.

If you google Cummins broken cranks plenty of Ram guys have broken cranks as well.

You guys are getting way to hung up on internet speculation. Take care of your truck, change the oil when your supposed to and check occasionally between fills, you will be fine. Enjoy it!

Where in Colorado are you?

·
929 Posts

Get on the duramax forums, they have motors breaking cranks also. Majority of the people on this forum freak out over nothing. I ignore 99% of the bs on here

·
24 Posts
How many snapped cranks are out there, does anyhow know how we can find out and what’s causing it. No ever seems to have a proper diagnosis from nissan. I don’t buy the fuel is bad, harness issues seems to come up or oil. I see bearing issues from lack of lubricant, but no reason why. But what indicators if any have there been. I know the number is low but it’s not low enough to know that there is a issue. Are they ticking time bombs I don’t think so but the number does raise a brow
This is what I can find on this site.

Date
any other info available

July 2017
BQVTN
Custom Tune
Nissan Claims Lack of Oil
All bearings/journals blue from excessive heat

January 2018
Knunn11
Broke two crankshafts
First 118k
Second engine @142k
Dealer stated the bearings looked fine, it snapped.
Tows RV’s for a living, with in weight limits of truck (Commericail use.

March 2018
Holeshot23 (Only 2 posts)
17k miles
2016 XD

March 2018
Burly
14k Miles
4/17 Build Date

September 2018
Oldestsanti
broke crank at 18k
tows a fifth wheel camper

November 2019
Texomakid
Broke crank at 36k
Stock truck, delvac oil from dealer

·
Banned
356 Posts
So 6, 7 if you count the guy who broke 2, out of 5.1k members. Not bad odds, although the guy who broke 2 is somewhat worrisome. What are the odds of that? Still no consensus on what the common factors might have been. Does anyone know who manufactures the cranks? Are they built in house? I wonder if rebuilding one if these with Callies or Eagle components would "bulletproof them?

·
24 Posts
So 6, 7 if you count the guy who broke 2, out of 5.1k members. Not bad odds, although the guy who broke 2 is somewhat worrisome. What are the odds of that? Still no consensus on what the common factors might have been. Does anyone know who manufactures the cranks? Are they built in house? I wonder if rebuilding one if these with Callies or Eagle components would "bulletproof them?

The odds are better if you look deeper,

I’m trying not to call any one out but....

The guy who broke two probably has the hardest working XD in the country.

One guy said he has broken cranks on other vehicles (racing engines)

One guy had a custom tune

And one guy is likely towing a RV well over the rated limits.

Again I’m not saying any one did anything wrong... just pointing out what I found on a very simple search of past posts.

·
Banned
356 Posts
The odds are better if you look deeper,

I’m trying not to call any one out but....

The guy who broke two probably has the hardest working XD in the country.

One guy said he has broken cranks on other vehicles (racing engines)

One guy had a custom tune

And one guy is likely towing a RV well over the rated limits.

Again I’m not saying any one did anything wrong... just pointing out what I found on a very simple search of past posts.

Well, I run a tune, same company he was running. It's a company with a pretty good reputation though. I also tow pretty heavy, although not.that often. My RV is between 11500 and 13000 when fully loaded. So far I haven't seen anything to worry about, but I will get an oil analysis soon. As for the tune, I feel (and it's my opinion) that deleted and tuned trucks are less likely to fail unless you are running the piss out of them all the time. I have done everything I can to ensure longevity. I use quality oil, change it within manufacturers specs, have no EGR problems to deal with (you can guess why), have an oil bypass kit, catch can, and monitor EGTs at the exhaust manifold. I dont rag it out. I listen to those that have had issues and try to learn from them. I am hoping for at least 200,000, hopefully far more, out of this motor.

·
836 Posts
The guy who broke two cranks was one of the early broken cranks from what I remember. It is not unlikely that the long block that was put into his truck was an earlier build engine. From what I have heard there was an issue with some cranks in the earlier production engines. If that was the case than it is not inconceivable that it might happen and was nothing more than bad luck.

·
53 Posts
I saw a used crank for sale on ebay and it had "Made in Germany" stamped on it. Even weirder than that....our blocks were cast in Brazil.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I saw a used crank for sale on ebay and it had "Made in Germany" stamped on it. Even weirder than that....our blocks were cast in Brazil.
Some really good information here guys which was the goal ultimately. All due respect our cranks are relatively low but enough to raise some questions. Let’s call a spade a spade here besides this glitch and the tranny flair which I ignore there really pretty solid trucks. My neighbours ram has had his tail lights on for a week and they can’t figure out why they won’t shut off.
1) seems to be oil lubricant issues and the very very odd casting failure. With those scorched how many were using that larger amsoil filter I’m not hearing a relation but looking to really narrow it down.

·
24 Posts
Some really good information here guys which was the goal ultimately. All due respect our cranks are relatively low but enough to raise some questions. Let’s call a spade a spade here besides this glitch and the tranny flair which I ignore there really pretty solid trucks. My neighbours ram has had his tail lights on for a week and they can’t figure out why they won’t shut off.
1) seems to be oil lubricant issues and the very very odd casting failure. With those scorched how many were using that larger amsoil filter I’m not hearing a relation but looking to really narrow it down.
That or the 6.7 filter with a different flow rate?

However not all cranks showed heat issues, according to the dealer. That and some said they drove up to 700 miles, some how, with the broken crank which could have caused the suspected heat issue, after the fact.

·
430 Posts
This is what I can find on this site.

Date
any other info available

July 2017
BQVTN
Custom Tune
Nissan Claims Lack of Oil
All bearings/journals blue from excessive heat
It's July 2019, btw. LOL