Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a little weary of our trucks lately due to the problems I've been reading about. That's not to say that there was anything wrong with mine at all, or any others for that matter but I just didn't want to worry about potential problems. The thought of a crank breaking past February of next year was just not worth it to me. (That's when my 5 year warranty runs out. Granted I would only have about 51k on it but still)

I took advantage of Chevy truck month and got a stout Trail Boss with the 6.2 today and traded my baby in. Hated to do it but for my sanity I felt like it was a good move. I know the Chevy can break too but hopefully it won't be to the tune of $15k plus for a long block.

Proud to say that I had my XD for almost 5 years...and was the first one to have one in my area. It was a fun build and I hope the next owner gets a good deal and has years of trouble free enjoyment out of it.

I'll still be lurking around as I'd like to think I have a bit of Titan XD knowledge that I can share if needed...

Also posted some parts for sale in the sale section as I no longer need them.

·
291 Posts
Well, I've been preparing to jump ship, too. Have been looking at going to the 7.3 Godzilla if no major kinks are reported over the next year or 2. From what I've been reading, the 10 speed trans in it might have some issues. According to Nissan's service records, I've got 60K left on warranty or until June 2024 whichever comes first. Will sell it with a chunk of warranty left for the next owner. Will be ready to act sooner if a crippling issue arises with it. I will hate to see the XD go, but too many ways for that thing to go south on me in the middle of the desert.

Reactions: Speed3

·
340 Posts
wakinvol, hope the new ride works out well...I know what you mean about the "worry factor." I have that too, but try to ignore it. Appreciate all your posts....

Have been looking at going to the 7.3 Godzilla
Yes, that looks like a nice engine. Simple, OHV design--fewer sensors to break, rugged--it looks like Ford may have done it right on that one. There is no substitute for cubic inches. That thing looks like a cross-bolted, aluminum headed, thoroughly optimized/updated chunk of 1960's iron. Like a modern FE/428 or 429/460 engine. With today's materials, machining, ring technologies, oil chemistries, etc. could probably get a boatload of miles out of one of those if taken care of. Be interesting to see in a couple years like you say...

·
284 Posts
Welcome to the club! Lots of sleep after tossing Nissans version of the hot potato. It was a great truck by far. I always had a problem finding that one Cummins mechanic in the dealership who wasn't a dolt. I pity the guys in a rural area going forward.

Reactions: QuikCoastie17

·
972 Posts
I’m a sucker for white trucks. I bet that 10 speed and the 6.2L is a sweet combo.

Update us on real world MPGs and driveability

·
147 Posts
Nice truck! One of my neighbors has one in silver. The white paint with black rims always looks sharp. And I know what you mean about being worried about issues with the truck. I love mine. But ever since my lift pump jumped ship on me while driving on the Interstate, I get a little nervous every time I crank her up. And add to the that the fact that the part wasn't covered by the warranty, 3/36 had expired, and the extended warranty that I now know was wasted money declined the claim as well, it makes it that much worse worrying if one day it will happen again. Or worse, the turbo actuator fails or the dreaded broken crankshaft, which luckily my 100k powertrain is still well in effect.

·
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m a sucker for white trucks. I bet that 10 speed and the 6.2L is a sweet combo.

Update us on real world MPGs and driveability
It's got the GM "performance" package with intake and cat-back exhaust as well. It absolutely sounds fantastic. Coming back on the interstate yesterday at 80-85 I got around 17.5. It's not gonna be great, BUT I got 15.9 driving there in the XD. (around 122 miles) I ran the XD between 70-75 as well. That being said I know we don't buy trucks for economy, but for the power this thing has I can live with it. It's still cheaper than diesel all around.

The 10 speed is definitely different, but I can learn to live with it. I will say this...hammer it on the interstate at 80 and it will GO.

·
2 Posts
Honest question here from a new (to me) 2018 Titan XD gas owner and forum member...if you guys loved your Titan XD Diesels so much, did you consider Titan XD gas trucks before going to Chevy 6.2 and Ford 7.3? I am liking my XD gas so far so just curious. Thanks,
Steve.

·
972 Posts
Honest question here from a new (to me) 2018 Titan XD gas owner and forum member...if you guys loved your Titan XD Diesels so much, did you consider Titan XD gas trucks before going to Chevy 6.2 and Ford 7.3? I am liking my XD gas so far so just curious. Thanks,
Steve.
Can’t answer for everyone, but when I ditch my XD Cummins (and travel trailer) i will probably scoop up a non-XD gasser in Pro-4x or Platinum Reserve Trim. That’s partly because my Nissan dealer has been so good to me- from sales to service.

·
291 Posts
Steve.
Not even for a microsecond.

·
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope...not at all. Well, maybe due to my topper and wheels but it went away very quickly. I’m bothered that Nissan caused me to worry to the extent that I had to make a change. Be darned if I’m going to give them a chance to do it again.

and honestly...the Chevy rides/drives a WHOLE lot better than the XD.

·
2 Posts
Nope...not at all. Well, maybe due to my topper and wheels but it went away very quickly. I’m bothered that Nissan caused me to worry to the extent that I had to make a change. Be darned if I’m going to give them a chance to do it again.

Thanks for the reply. As stated, I was just curious if it was the gas engine in the Titan XD, Nissan Service, or something else shared between the gas and diesel XD models that drove you to Chevy/Ford. Again, I have been happy with my XD gas purchase so far including the ride of the truck but I was coming out of a 2008 Sequoia and not comparing the ride to new trucks like you guys. My work truck is a 2012 F250 XL CC 4x4 and the Titan XD rides significantly better than the F250. I tow a boat in the 7,000 lb range wet on the trailer and equipment on a flatbed trailer up to around 8-10k occasionally so the Titan XD Gas made sense to me in terms of fitting my needs. Good luck with the new trucks.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts

Well of course it rides better, the xd suspension is setup for towing, the Chevy isn’t.

·
10 Posts
I've been a little weary of our trucks lately due to the problems I've been reading about. That's not to say that there was anything wrong with mine at all, or any others for that matter but I just didn't want to worry about potential problems. The thought of a crank breaking past February of next year was just not worth it to me. (That's when my 5 year warranty runs out. Granted I would only have about 51k on it but still)

I took advantage of Chevy truck month and got a stout Trail Boss with the 6.2 today and traded my baby in. Hated to do it but for my sanity I felt like it was a good move. I know the Chevy can break too but hopefully it won't be to the tune of $15k plus for a long block.

Proud to say that I had my XD for almost 5 years...and was the first one to have one in my area. It was a fun build and I hope the next owner gets a good deal and has years of trouble free enjoyment out of it.

I'll still be lurking around as I'd like to think I have a bit of Titan XD knowledge that I can share if needed...

Also posted some parts for sale in the sale section as I no longer need them.
I've been having the same thoughts............

·
28 Posts
I have been having the thoughts, on and off.
I got a new short block at 20K miles (gas). Knocking.
They all have issues, I just hope mine is fixed.

30K miles now, 2.5 years more warranty. If the knock doesn't come back, or worse, I will be keeping her.

Enjoy the Chevy.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
I have been having the thoughts, on and off.
I got a new short block at 20K miles (gas). Knocking.
They all have issues, I just hope mine is fixed.

30K miles now, 2.5 years more warranty. If the knock doesn't come back, or worse, I will be keeping her.

Enjoy the Chevy.
All of today’s trucks are pieces of shit, no matter the brand. You just have to pick which one you want more and say screw it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts