Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend was kind enough to give me the Softopper that he had on his older Silverado, and I got it out onto the trail this week in the Steens. It looks a little small, but the advantage is that there is still access to the stakepost mounts on the bed rail. Overall it worked really well, and is very easy to take on and off.

Attachments

·
658 Posts
My friend was kind enough to give me the Softopper that he had on his older Silverado, and I got it out onto the trail this week in the Steens. It looks a little small, but the advantage is that there is still access to the stakepost mounts on the bed rail. Overall it worked really well, and is very easy to take on and off.
I like free!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
This is way after the past, but this actually looks phenomenal. Do you have water entry issues on the sides when it rains, because the topper is so much skinnier than the bed walls?

Do you happen to know which year/model truck he had, in case I decide to buy that for my truck?

Do you mind showing some photos of how you mounted this to your truck?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Softopper on Nissan Titan XD 2016 & 2017

I have spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Bob, one of the owners at Softopper.

Pertinent information for having a Softopper on your Nissan Titan XD:

1) it absolutely will not fit if you have Titan Boxes - the top of the boxes sit 4" below the top edge of the bed wall, and the Softopper system requires at least 6.5" of space below the bed wall to be able to

2) he explained that although their website does not list the Titan XD, the correct model for our truck (with the 78" long and 62" wide bed, internal measurements) is their part number FS 78 and they have it available with clamps designed for a utility rail track like many of the Titans come with.

I hope this is helpful to any interested parties. I adore the Titan Boxes I drove hundreds of miles to purchase used and will not give them up - so earlier tonight, I went and ordered a Bestop Supertop which based on measurements of the bed will be the correct size. Updates to this endeavor will end up in my thread so head there if you are interested. - see edit below

EDIT: 3) I spoke to Bestop's technical support on the phone earlier today and made a few important discoveries. Namely: they had a Nissan Titan (old style gas V8) topper which would have worked with the utili-trak rails on my XD (their part number 76316-35) but unfortunately this item is discontinued. The rep is not sure if/when they will release the topper actually designed for the XD. He also advised that the model I had been guided to order (their part number 76303-35) based on the dimensions of my bed cannot be safely used because the clamps will not work on/around the utili-trak rail. SO: that order I placed last night will soon be canceled!

·
507 Posts
I have decided to go with a soft top for my XD, and am finding it to hard to find one available.
Looking like somebody is about to have their product copied by me.
Not the first convertible top I have sewn...
Considering the price of them I am a little surprised to find the companies no producing them for the new Titan line, as the bed sizes are fairly standard, so it should not require much to have a few.
I see they have them for the Ridgeline, pretend truck,

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is way after the past, but this actually looks phenomenal. Do you have water entry issues on the sides when it rains, because the topper is so much skinnier than the bed walls?

Do you happen to know which year/model truck he had, in case I decide to buy that for my truck?

Do you mind showing some photos of how you mounted this to your truck?
Sorry for the delayed response. It's worked great through the rainiest NW winter on record, and through lots of snow storms when I head out to Eastern Oregon. I haven't had any intrusion to speak of. The nice thing about having the topper skinnier is that the post holes are still accessible. I haven't used that yet, but could imagine a use for it ;-)

He had a Silverado...guessing it was around '02

Softopper makes the clamps for the Utili-trak, so it's very easy to position and fit. I'll get some pics later and put it up. In the front of the bed, Softopper usually has the top buttoned to the bed (requiring installation of the button mounts). I simply wedge it under two Utili-trak cleats.

·
712 Posts
I'd love to get one of these, if it mounts into the Utili-trak that would be awesome.
I'm not putting holes in my bed for button mounts tho.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pertinent information for having a Softopper on your Nissan Titan XD:

1) it absolutely will not fit if you have Titan Boxes - the top of the boxes sit 4" below the top edge of the bed wall, and the Softopper system requires at least 6.5" of space below the bed wall to be able to

So...I've been using the softopper with my Utili-trak AND Titan Boxes for 10 months now. Works great. Here's the issue that he's alluding to: The boxes either need to be open or closed (I leave them open with the top on)...the doors can't be moved with the top on. So that part is not great, but also not a big deal because I can mostly close them and strap them closed. But TRUE...you can't lock them.

·
3 Posts

Hey great looking truck, I have the same one, what size and type of wheels and tires are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
30 Posts
I love that. I've been thinking of getting something like that for my truck. I have to help my roommate pull the canopy off his Tacoma pretty frequently and I think it would be annoying to constantly have to ask for help to take it on and off. Especially seeing that my truck is lifted 6".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts