Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Who else has been thinking of creative ways to find info?

I have even tried with multiple online insurance quotes to see if I can get some info there, as far as value. But nothing yet.

My dealer has been great and giving me whatever they get. Last week I get an email at 9pm to call them asap. So I did and was told some ordering has opened up and what is my pick.

When I got rid of my 2012 titan I had full intentions of getting an ecodiesel. But we had just had our coldest winter in a long time and we had alot of documented issues with the ecodiesel in ontario. The other thing that interested me was the new F150 with the 2.7. So I went that route. I have grouched on here in a few posts about the F150. To sum it up the 2.7 is my favorite gas engine to date, the rest of the truck I have no faith in. To the point after 8 mths of ownership it's going to be gone. The titan xd has been my first choice but the delays are taking its toll. My plan B if pricing doesn't come in where I want is back to the ecodiesel considering I can pretty much get $15000 off right now.
But a big part of me still being patient and waiting on the xd. I know the Nissan quality and I'm one of those guys who wants something that's a little different and not what everyone else has.

·
25 Posts
Who else has been thinking of creative ways to find info?

I have even tried with multiple online insurance quotes to see if I can get some info there, as far as value. But nothing yet.

My dealer has been great and giving me whatever they get. Last week I get an email at 9pm to call them asap. So I did and was told some ordering has opened up and what is my pick.

When I got rid of my 2012 titan I had full intentions of getting an ecodiesel. But we had just had our coldest winter in a long time and we had alot of documented issues with the ecodiesel in ontario. The other thing that interested me was the new F150 with the 2.7. So I went that route. I have grouched on here in a few posts about the F150. To sum it up the 2.7 is my favorite gas engine to date, the rest of the truck I have no faith in. To the point after 8 mths of ownership it's going to be gone. The titan xd has been my first choice but the delays are taking its toll. My plan B if pricing doesn't come in where I want is back to the ecodiesel considering I can pretty much get $15000 off right now.
But a big part of me still being patient and waiting on the xd. I know the Nissan quality and I'm one of those guys who wants something that's a little different and not what everyone else has.
What Nissan quality are you referring to?
Slipping transmission, broken shackles, body rusting through the paint, cracked dash, peeling and cracked leather, rattling sun roof, creaking suspension, leaking gas tank, faulty fuel pump, broken door handles, slow window motors, faulty CD player, faulty transfer case, exhaust that fell off, broken fog light mounts, failed DVD player after 3 movies, and horrendous brakes that fade after 3k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year was yours?
I do know about the axle issues in the first couple of years. And the rear diff vent mod my dealer did from new.

Mine was flawless. Actually I know a few guys that bought 2012's and 13's when they were being aggressive with pricing and say the same thing as me. But all grouch about economy. There is also a survey company I know up north that gets into pretty remote areas that bought a few titan's for their fleet. Those things go through **** with terrain and employee abuse. So far they have stood up the best compared to other brands. Alot less downtime.

My titan was an sv with a few less features then yours but I do feel your pain as I'm going through alot of those issues with my 2015 f150 with 25000km
Panoramic roof drain tube kinked from factory, one morning cup holders full of water.
Panoramic roof panels rattle so much.
Doors clunk and rattle bumpy road.
They have spent 15 hours trying to align body panels and every door takes two tries to close.
The warmer it gets out the more the dash warps in two area's
110v inverter works speriodic
Inside box gaps when standing inside the box the colder it gets the more you can see the ground, great for winter road salt. Dealer's response was because every truck on the lot is like that it's considered a normal part of production.
Tranny has this down shift every once in a while that you swear it's falling out.
The funny part 3 of 4 Centre wheel caps ford symbol has peeled off.
Some more personal dislikes is least stable truck I have owned for towing. And hands down the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. I drive 3 hrs one way to my property regularly and within one hour I develope this bad leg pain I can't shake rest of the way.

·
51 Posts
What year was yours?
I do know about the axle issues in the first couple of years. And the rear diff vent mod my dealer did from new.

Mine was flawless. Actually I know a few guys that bought 2012's and 13's when they were being aggressive with pricing and say the same thing as me. But all grouch about economy. There is also a survey company I know up north that gets into pretty remote areas that bought a few titan's for their fleet. Those things go through **** with terrain and employee abuse. So far they have stood up the best compared to other brands. Alot less downtime.

My titan was an sv with a few less features then yours but I do feel your pain as I'm going through alot of those issues with my 2015 f150 with 25000km
Panoramic roof drain tube kinked from factory, one morning cup holders full of water.
Panoramic roof panels rattle so much.
Doors clunk and rattle bumpy road.
They have spent 15 hours trying to align body panels and every door takes two tries to close.
The warmer it gets out the more the dash warps in two area's
110v inverter works speriodic
Inside box gaps when standing inside the box the colder it gets the more you can see the ground, great for winter road salt. Dealer's response was because every truck on the lot is like that it's considered a normal part of production.
Tranny has this down shift every once in a while that you swear it's falling out.
The funny part 3 of 4 Centre wheel caps ford symbol has peeled off.
Some more personal dislikes is least stable truck I have owned for towing. And hands down the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. I drive 3 hrs one way to my property regularly and within one hour I develope this bad leg pain I can't shake rest of the way.
Holy Smokes! I had the F150 as my 2nd choice if I didn't like the Titan XD. I am hoping that this Titan will be a similar situation to what Toyota did when they first came out with the Tundra. From the very first truck manufactured in 2000 until 2007, they really hit it out of the ball park. I just have this feeling that this is what Nissan is shooting for with the XD. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a disposable truck, I'm going for quality.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Well it's funny, the complaints of a few. With a bit of preventative maintenance the current Titan will last and last ...

I have over 200,000 miles on mine, Its over 10 years old and the only thing it needs is paint (needs that bad too). Yep, I tow an 8000lbs trailer all the time as well. I was told when I purchased it by a few Ford and Chevy friends that tow all the time I would be lucky to get 30,000 miles out of it. Well... My friend with the Ford, he now tows with the Titan, because his truck hit about 56,000 miles and boom... the Chevy guy, well he is driving a new Chevy, well actually it's his 3rd ;)...

·
167 Posts
Same here. I have a 2007. Live in wet coast and have zero rust issues. I park it outside always. 200000k on my LE and only real problem that isn't solved by maintenance was the shitty jobber exhaust manifolds. I'm sure mine is cracked but has been that way for long time. No codes no running issues. Axle problems were short lived in a bad batch of spider gears from Dana. Not really nissans fault. Axle breather valve is a 20 dollar part that if replaced every 50 k will save any axle seal issues. So every manufacturer has a lemon come out of the factory once in a while but in general I think most owners have had excellent service with engine transmission and electrical components with the Titan under normal usage. I tow a 7500 lb boat up hilly roads regularly in the summer. Brakes are a wear item from all manufactures as they want regular replacement from the service shops. I put jobber brakes on after my first set and life span is more than double that of factory Nissan brakes. Haven't had any caliper issues with 3 sets of brakes from and back. Replaced front after 70k of use on the jobber brakes and they were still half life left. So overall I'm happy with the product quality (except exhaust manifolds).

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Ahh... the Exhaust Manifolds. Yes. that is still an issue. I took the "opportunity" to put headers on ;) ...

·
58 Posts
Mine is a 2004 SE. 197000 miles on her now with about 65000 of it towing four tons of Airstream all over the lower 48. Did the manifolds with aftermarket at about 100k. Replaced the front rotors with slotted/dimpled about the same time.

Hoped to trade it in this winter on an XD but I really would prefer mid-trim and the 5.6 gasser and it looks like it will be months before we see any of those.

So, I just had the axle seals done (they have been weeping for a while and, since I was going to trade it in...). Put new gaskets on the valve covers and fluids, hoses... Want to keep her rolling until, well, you get it...

The trickling out of information has been excrutiating. C'mon Nissan, sell the **** thing already!

Mike

·
235 Posts
Ford has this plasma method that refurbishes old engines. Maybe Nissan will make it available in the future and Diesel engines will last twice as long with it!

·
772 Posts
What Nissan quality are you referring to?
Slipping transmission, broken shackles, body rusting through the paint, cracked dash, peeling and cracked leather, rattling sun roof, creaking suspension, leaking gas tank, faulty fuel pump, broken door handles, slow window motors, faulty CD player, faulty transfer case, exhaust that fell off, broken fog light mounts, failed DVD player after 3 movies, and horrendous brakes that fade after 3k miles.
haha what'd you do, google "nissan titan problems" and just compile a list? guess what, thats true of every vehicle ever. they all have issues. Nissan didn't fix the rear diff (also dana quality control screwed them over with the dana rear ends) also nissan refused to fix the exhaust manifolds.

·
7 Posts
^^ I was just going to say, why are you on this forum if you dislike Nissan and the quality so much? I think Nissan overall is top notch quality and performance. Yes, just like all the manufacturers they try to get cheap and ends up burning them in the long run. I wish they would just figure that out, but that's the economy we live in. I just got done training on the new Titan XD and Cummins engine. I finally got to drive it and all I can say it was everything I expected it to be. It drives very similar to the 3/4 ton with the tough solid feeling and that big hood in your view. It is overall quite but still gives you that diesel satisfaction. If you guys have any questions let me know, I love it and would love to buy one but it is way over my price range right now regardless of price.

·
772 Posts
^^ I was just going to say, why are you on this forum if you dislike Nissan and the quality so much? I think Nissan overall is top notch quality and performance. Yes, just like all the manufacturers they try to get cheap and ends up burning them in the long run. I wish they would just figure that out, but that's the economy we live in. I just got done training on the new Titan XD and Cummins engine. I finally got to drive it and all I can say it was everything I expected it to be. It drives very similar to the 3/4 ton with the tough solid feeling and that big hood in your view. It is overall quite but still gives you that diesel satisfaction. If you guys have any questions let me know, I love it and would love to buy one but it is way over my price range right now regardless of price.
But does it ride like a half ton???

whens training start for the gasser non XD's????

my current titan is over 100k and still on the original radiator, rear end, and manifolds (i have an exhaust leak, so one is likely cracked) lol its a rare one.

·
25 Posts
2005 Titan Crew LE 4x4 (120k miles)
On a good note, great off road. Nice interior at the time. Strong motor. In 2005 I felt it was top of the field for what I needed. I know some of the upgrades in later years corrected some things. But after 11 years, I'm disappointed.

2005 F150 at work (window switch failed) 85k miles. (engine did get tired).
2000 Silverado (Junk, too many problems to list).
2010 Sierra Denali (Junk, too many problems to list).

·
25 Posts
Well it's funny, the complaints of a few. With a bit of preventative maintenance the current Titan will last and last ...
QUOTE]

Really? My maintenance is probably better than most. I have my own shop for my hobby and work on cars/motorcycles often.

Which of those items listed were lack of maintenance items?

·
25 Posts

I don't dislike Nissan. That's why I bought one.

I'm on the Nissan XD forum because I was hopeful the XD would be my next truck. I was really impressed with the initial announcement...enough that I waited on buying a truck. I'm pretty tired of waiting to get solid info on the 2016 XD, though.

I am irritated with the quality long term of my current truck. It's a good argument for extended warranties, which I had. I think Nissan missed on some durability with their Gen 1.

·
7 Posts
But does it ride like a half ton???

whens training start for the gasser non XD's????

my current titan is over 100k and still on the original radiator, rear end, and manifolds (i have an exhaust leak, so one is likely cracked) lol its a rare one.
I have a 2001 2500HD and I have to say it rides like a 3/4 ton. Obviously much nicer than my 2001 but a very solid heavy duty feel. The transmission is an Aisin 6 speed that is used in 2500 and 3500 trucks. I loved the way it shifted and when coming to a stop, the transmission helped with slowing the truck down very nicely. The brake system uses the same brake assist as the NV and stops like it could slow down anything its towing without trailer brakes. I like how the trailer brake was built into the vehicle giving it a more appealing look. I got to say, Cummins spends an abundance of time research and developing there engines and it shows with this easy to work on V8 5.0. If it ever needed service which I cant see happening, it is very easy to work on and is engineered for service, I wish Nissan would think more like that ;) The engine has been in development for over a decade and was going to be used in the hummer way back when. As far as training goes for the gas/Titan in general, there will be a new model training I am sure that will explain and teach a lot more but has not been announced yet. I got to admit, whenever a I see a Titan come in the shop with over 180k on it I cringe a little just because I know what to expect, but if people would maintain there junk a little better you would be surprised how far you can get with what you got (exhaust manifolds are obviously uncontrollable)

·
7 Posts
QUOTE]

Really? My maintenance is probably better than most. I have my own shop for my hobby and work on cars/motorcycles often.

Which of those items listed were lack of maintenance items?
I would consider a slipping transmission a good possibility on lack of maintenance, depending on when you did your first fluid exchange and if you used Matic S. As far as the other complaints, it sounds like a hard worked work truck. Leather seats ripped? I have not seen that yet and I am sure it cant be worse than a GM lol. Noisy suspension? probably have loose ball joints and there is a certain way to check those. Rattly sunroof? who cares, you should be able to fix that. Not saying that your'e like the rest, but from my experience it is the guy that does his own maintenance that has the one of the worst trucks that comes through my shop. Not trying to beat up on this topic, but I think if you wait another month and see what happens with this new Titan you may be impressed, good things come to those who wait :smile2:

·
25 Posts
I would consider a slipping transmission a good possibility on lack of maintenance, depending on when you did your first fluid exchange and if you used Matic S. As far as the other complaints, it sounds like a hard worked work truck. Leather seats ripped? I have not seen that yet and I am sure it cant be worse than a GM lol. Noisy suspension? probably have loose ball joints and there is a certain way to check those. Rattly sunroof? who cares, you should be able to fix that. Not saying that your'e like the rest, but from my experience it is the guy that does his own maintenance that has the one of the worst trucks that comes through my shop. Not trying to beat up on this topic, but I think if you wait another month and see what happens with this new Titan you may be impressed, good things come to those who wait :smile2:

The problems are not persistent, but happened. Under warranty, I take it in. Had the roof rattle off of the lot, brought it back 5 times, never fixed it. I did later. Trans was intermittent, yes on Matic S. Noisy suspension is with new ball joints/control arms (it's squeaky, not popping or clunking). I happens in the leafs when unloaded around a turn. Lubricating the leaf springs will probably make it go away...but yet another thing. The seats really surprised me...and I conditioned them every now and then.

I'm sure your right on what you see at your shop. I restore cars as a Hobby...not a pro, but I'm pretty anal. I do run my vehicles hard, but maintain them well. GM is the absolute worst (and I'm a chevy guy). The F150 was run harder and held up better. And true the salt air surely added to some of the corrosion issues on worn parts.

But for a 40k "luxury" truck. It fell apart rapidly after about year 6 or 7. I'm just comparing it to 2 GMs and Ford, I've used. I hoped Nissan would have lasted better, longer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts