Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I ended up ordering some more RF's. 2 pairs of 3 way 6.75s and 1 pair of 6.75 components in case I get brave enough to drill the holes for the tweeters. Whatever I do I'll send the pair I don't use back. Will keep updated with what I do and how it turns out. Planned on installing tomorrow but the weather is calling for rain all day and I don't have a garage that is usable lol. Maybe Tuesday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IB8R8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076SIIBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok got them all installed. Want smooth and I'm very happy with the results. I think I will end up adding a 5 channel amp to power them and a small woofer though to get the most of it. But as it is right now the sound is no longer muddy but very clear while it does lack bass. Which factory speakers did too.

Attachments

·
485 Posts
So where are you getting the source for the Tweeters on the lower front door panels. The front door speakers only get mid-low freq from amp? Also, typically tweets are not installed low down in the cabin so how dose that sound? Would'nt they sound better in the original location on dash -pillars?

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So where are you getting the source for the Tweeters on the lower front door panels. The front door speakers only get mid-low freq from amp? Also, typically tweets are not installed low down in the cabin so how dose that sound? Would'nt they sound better in the original location on dash -pillars?
The front component speakers have built in crossovers. So only the highs go to the tweeters. I mounted them low since they sounded best down there to my hears. Up top, they were a bit harsh for my taste. Dash speakers are still there in factory form. You can mount tweeters where ever you like as you should move them around to find the best place for sound per your hears and cabin.

·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I should add that I did end up adding a 5 channel amp to get the best sound as the factory head unit wasn't enough power. I also added 2 10in subs under the back seat to complete the setup. In the end, I really like the setup and sounds so much better than stock. But in the beginning, I did not plan to add an amp but had I know so beforehand I would have bought a different set of speakers. The Rockford's sound good don't get me wrong but would have maybe gone with JL Audio or Infinity Kappas.

·
485 Posts
Good to know that there is high freq available to the front doors. My Ram 1500 only had mid-low there so was limited to what I could do. Replacing all speakers are on my to do list...got to buy a soft cover for the back first.

·
308 Posts
If you have the Rockford Fosgate stereo the speakers down in the door will be only low frequency since the speakers are true 3-ways. The speakers in the dash and pillar are mid range on up. Also in this system all the speakers are 2 Ohm and after market speakers are all 4 ohm with a few exceptions so changing them out will reduce the power they see in half from the stock 2 ohm speakers. In this system if you replace the front speakers you will want to get a new amp if you want to have any real improvement.

·
4 Posts
I should add that I did end up adding a 5 channel amp to get the best sound as the factory head unit wasn't enough power. I also added 2 10in subs under the back seat to complete the setup. In the end, I really like the setup and sounds so much better than stock. But in the beginning, I did not plan to add an amp but had I know so beforehand I would have bought a different set of speakers. The Rockford's sound good don't get me wrong but would have maybe gone with JL Audio or Infinity Kappas.
Could you show a picture of your 2 10's under the seat? Thanks

·
15 Posts
Acoustic treatment for factory sub enclosure.

The stock sub does a great job of adding some punch to the music however it does not play very low bass but it adds some excellent Mid Bass kick that you can feel. I will be retaining the stock sub and adding some rammatt to enclosure to further improve the bass quality.
I have been thinking of using Dynamat Extreme (I got a deal -- mismarked -- on it years ago and I still have plenty left) on the plastic sub enclosure. I suspect that the Titan XD's has a plastic sub enclosure typical of most factory "premium" sound systems -- resonant leading to boominess and bloated mid-bass.

Did you notice a significant improvement from adding the RAAMmat to your factory sub enclosure? I'm hoping that treating mine will tighten up the bass and get rid of some of the boominess.

Thanks for your posts and info on this topic.

·
308 Posts
Its not worth the effort. The stock sub is really only a mid bass driver. I even replaced the stock sub driver with a Kicker shallow 8 sub and it was better but there just isn't enough power to really drive it well.

If you want any real quality bass you need to have an aftermarket 10 or 12 in custom box with an aftermarket amp to drive it.

If you going to use sound deadning do the front doors, that actually made a big improvement in sound and it quieted down the truck even more.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I am about to change out the speakers in my Rockford Fosgate system. I will be starting with the front dash mid-ranges. Then move to the front door woofers and then the rear woofers. I will also add sound deadening in the doors and may do the floor (not sure about that yet). I think the factory system sounds pretty good but I can't get the system front to rear balanced for my liking by using the fader. I am going to with 4 ohm speakers in the dash and 2.3 ohm woofers in the rear door and 2 ohm in the front doors. I don't think I will be changing out the tweeters right now. My goal is to bring the sound stage in the front down a bit. Does anybody know the cross-over points for each of the speakers?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Changed out the three speakers in the dash and it has made a big difference. The front sound stage is considerable cleaner and much more detailed. I was surprised to find that the two factory 2.75" side speakers are 4 ohm's. The 3.5" center speaker is 2 ohms. For the center speaker I installed an Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m midrange speaker (3.5 ohm) - (I have one left over from the pair if any one is interested in buying it) and for the sides I used Kenwood Excelon KFC-X2C midrange speakers (4 ohm). You can see the difference in the attached pictures. On to the doors!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Did the rear doors today. I installed JBL Stadium GTO620 6.5" coax speakers. The GTO620 are 2.5 ohm speakers. I also installed 80 mil butyl sound deadener. The doors sound very solid when you close them! I wish I had a scope to see what frequencies are directed to the factory speaker, it was interesting to see the factory speakers have a whizzer cone attached to them - so I figured there must be some higher frequencies being reproduced. The new coax speakers sound very good and are definitely handling some of the higher frequencies. So far the improvements are getting me to where I need to be with much more detail and clarity. Busy this weekend so the fronts will need to wait until Monday.

Attachments

·
1 Posts
Has anyone replaced their factory speakers yet? Ive looked on Crutchfield just for sizes and Im getting 6 1/2 and 6x9's for the front doors. Just curious what is being put in. I don't have the RF system so looking to add little more quality than what in there. Thanks

I just replaced the front speakers in my 2018 Nissan Titan XD. The front doors are 6.9

·
11 Posts
I just recently upgraded sound system in single cab XD SV, with new amp, under seat sub, and speakers. For the doors, I used 6x9s Pioneer ts-a692c with mounting brackets from Crutchfield that requires some trimming by the nail opening. Also, the + and - metal connections on the speaker didnt clear the opening easily and required some bending and raising the mounting bracket with rubber door seals. If I were to do it over again, I would recommend first attaching bracket and speaker, then test fit the entire assembly into opening to make sure it clears the opening before drilling holes to mount the bracket. I reused 2 existing holes, and drill 2 new holes.

·
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Nissan Titan SV midnight edition. Truck is great. Speakers are awful. When I turn it up it sounds like it is underwater. I tried adjusting the sound levels in the settings but it still sounds awful. Maybe the speakers are bad? My wife drives a basic chevy Malibu and her speakers sound amazing compared to this. I’m so confused why it sounds like this. Is it that terrible? Is there an easy way to fix. I’m handy but have never done a speaker repair.

·
11 Posts
Yes, door speakers sucks. Once you take it out, it is apparent that the speaker material sucks, and the magnet is tiny. The dash speaker isn't too bad actually and its a pain to remove, and you will likely break something along the way. I did a lot of research on car audio systems. You need to figure out how much better you want it to sound and I assume you want to keep your factory head unit.

First, if you just want to go from suck to "good enough", then just buy a $50-$70 pair of 2 way, 6x9 speakers like this: MTX Terminator69 Terminator Series 6"x9" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield. You can also buy 3 way speakers that add a tweeter, but not really necessary since the dash speaker is already a tweeter. If you buy from Crutchfield, they will come with door panel removal instructions which was helpful, but you can also Youtube it:
. Crutchfield will also supply a speaker wiring harness that you will use to connect the new speakers to the speaker connector on the door. You will also need trim tools that look like plastic forks and knifes to remove the door panels. Install time will probably be around 5-6 hours for 4 doors for a newbie. CAUTION: Make sure you remember or take a photo of how the 2 metal cables to the door lock and handle attaches to the interior door panel, so you know how to put it back. I did it the wrong way once, and I panicked when I was unable to open the door. Luckily, I was able to fix my mistake, but it was scary.

If you want to go from "good enough" to good, then you need to add a powered subwoofer that has a built-in amplifier, and I believe you might need a line output converter so you can connect it to the factory stereo. I have this in my other car, and since I didn't set it up myself, I don't know how to install this setup.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts