Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday it was -5f when I went to start the truck. I cranked very slowly for about 15 seconds, then coughed and started. It was rough for another 10 seconds, and a "low fuel pressure" warning popped up. I drove it about 10 miles to Lowes without a problem. When I started it again the warning went away. It's -14f this morning, and I'm not going to try starting it until the temp is above 0.

Is this typical behavior for the Cummins? It's never been this cold in the three years I've owned the truck.

·
2018, Titan XD, SV, 4x4, 5.0, 4" Lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
5 Posts
Cummins recommended:

White or Grey bottle?

Red bottle when really needed....

Cheers

·
2018, Titan XD, SV, 4x4, 5.0, 4" Lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
5 Posts
Every since I took a trip to Taos NM in 2018 with the new truck I have used Diesel Kleen in every tank. Grey in Summer, White in Winter. I keep a 911 in the door just in case.

In NM, weather got about -20F overnight. Had about 1/4 tank of Oklahoma Diesel (probably purchased in Enid or Woodward). Truck did the exact same thing OP mentioned. Except it took until the third start cycle to even start. Not sure how much longer the two batteries would have cranked. Drove fine after warming up. Drove it into Taos and filled up with some local (cold weather) diesel. Looked all over for the Diesel 911 but couldn't find any anywhere close.

Was worried the next morning after another -20F night but that good diesel in New Mexico had no issues. Started up just like it was summer.

Move to this weekend.... Here over the last 3-4 days we have had -5 to -10F nights with a steady N wind (with the lifted butt of my truck facing north). Makes me nervous so I put 1 dose of 911 in with my last tank. Started all weekend in the morning with very little issues.

Sorry for the long post...

Good luck!

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cummins recommended:

White or Grey bottle?

Red bottle when really needed....

Cheers
Very helpful info. In the 30+ years I've been here, this is the longest, coldest snap. Off to Walmart or O'Reilly to look for Diesel-911 today.

·
412 Posts
Just to throw my experience into the mix... My XD has been in negative overnight (and daytime) temps quite a few times (yeah, I know, what a shocker in AK! :) ). Sometimes sitting for days at a time. I have never used an additive and I've never had a single incident where it didn't start right away on the first try (knock on wood).

·
8 Posts
Just to throw my experience into the mix... My XD has been in negative overnight (and daytime) temps quite a few times (yeah, I know, what a shocker in AK! :) ). Sometimes sitting for days at a time. I have never used an additive and I've never had a single incident where it didn't start right away on the first try (knock on wood).
I would attribute that to the fuel stations in the cold areas having diesel that’s already had anti gelling additives in the fuel. Here in north texas with our current record cold conditions, diesels everywhere are having issues.

·
412 Posts
I don't believe our diesel is pre-mixed with an anti-gel additive but gas stations here use either #1 or a blend of #1/2 (I don't recall seeing only #2 anywhere). So I would probably attribute it to better quality fuel.

·
35 Posts
Put a touch of additive in the fuel. Any winter rated stuff. I’m sure diesel in some parts is probably not blended for winter temps like we have now.

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I was late to the party here. All the auto parts stores were out of diesel additives. I found a bottle of Gumout for gas and diesel at a gas station. I added that to a full tank. It's not so cold today, so maybe the worst is over for this winter. 🤞

·
35 Posts
Read my post from another cold start topic. If you have issue on starting or low pressure due to cold. Heat the filter housing next to the engine. The back where the fuel comes in seems to gel there and restrict fuel. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the aluminum. Works for me everytime it won’t start due to cold.

·
3 Posts
Yesterday it was -5f when I went to start the truck. I cranked very slowly for about 15 seconds, then coughed and started. It was rough for another 10 seconds, and a "low fuel pressure" warning popped up. I drove it about 10 miles to Lowes without a problem. When I started it again the warning went away. It's -14f this morning, and I'm not going to try starting it until the temp is above 0.

Is this typical behavior for the Cummins? It's never been this cold in the three years I've owned the truck.
It was -20 and I cranked mine 4-5 times and nothing the batteries died so I obviously stopped. I had the same fuel pressure warning and looked up the issue and it seems the truck will not inject fuel until the cylinder reaches a certain temperature. I put the batteries on a charger and purchased some starter fluid and 30 minutes later I was in business on the first crank.

·
2 Posts

I'm finding out that it's typical for that motor. Thats what I have. The additive will help. But in the other post, it appears that the fuel gels up near at the inlet and output of the fuel filter under the hood. On my 2017 Nissan Titan, that was easily accessed on top of the motor to the drivers side a bit. Black cap about the size of an oil filter and you can see the fuel lines on the side of the filter case. If it will not start at all, put a hair dryer on it for about 5-10 minutes. Mine fired right up. We were at -7 and even with the battery charger and cranking fast, it wouldn't fire till I did that. Good luck!

·
2 Posts

Quick question, are you plugging the block heater in when the temperature gets down around 0? Just curious.

·
2016 Titan XD PRO-4X 5.0L Cummins
20 Posts
Personally I've had no issues cold starting. I've started it right up anywhere between -15 and 5 degrees in NM with no issue. I try to always fill up with Chevron diesel, my truck runs better on it, especially in the winter. I put anti-gel in the tank before any cold front comes in. Also, I'd recommend turning the power on (two button clicks) for at least 20-30 seconds prior to starting her up. Not only is this good for the glow plugs, but it also allows the fuel pump system to pressurize... Seems to work perfect for me. I thought I was going to need a block heater here, but no need. She purrssss

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick question, are you plugging the block heater in when the temperature gets down around 0? Just curious.
I don't know if this truck has a block heater (I never looked). I'll get a can of Diesel-911 to carry in the truck, but I think that the Polar Vortex is done for this year.

·
2 Posts
I don't know if this truck has a block heater (I never looked). I'll get a can of Diesel-911 to carry in the truck, but I think that the Polar Vortex is done for this year.
Mine is a 2018 and it came with a block heater from the factory. Of course the dealer didn't even know it had one because Nissan doesn't give you the power cord. I had to buy the cord myself. Fyi, I live in the northeast and bought the truck new in '18. I've only had to plug in the heater 4 times since new (four nights below 0). Hopefully we have seen the end to the polar vortex. So many people are suffering from this unusual event. Our thoughts are with everyone that has been affected.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts