Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Can you provide a summary of the wording you used in your complaint?
I didn't capture but basically this: "As I started to drive from a red light traffic on city street, the engine started to make loud noise and shut off. I had my truck towed to dealer, later found out that the crank shaft was broken. New engine was replaced under warranty."

If more of us who had crank shaft failure report to NHTSA, it'll bring to their attention and they will investigate, or push Nissan and Cummins to investigate the root cause of this issue. Hence, either we'll have our warranty extended, or something...

Reactions: mbcabinetmaker

·
635 Posts
I didn't capture but basically this: "As I started to drive from a red light traffic on city street, the engine started to make loud noise and shut off. I had my truck towed to dealer, later found out that the crank shaft was broken. New engine was replaced under warranty."

If more of us who had crank shaft failure report to NHTSA, it'll bring to their attention and they will investigate, or push Nissan and Cummins to investigate the root cause of this issue. Hence, either we'll have our warranty extended, or something...
NHTSA reports are about safety, not necessarily reliability. The nexus of an NHTSA complaint needs to be related to the safety of the traveling public. Without stating a specific and credible threat to safety, an NHTSA complaint will be rerouted to the circular file.

"While towing 10,000 lbs, the engine made a horrible knocking sound and then stopped, causing me to lose power steering, brake assist, and the ability to adequately control my load, placing the traveling public and myself at a grave risk of harm."

·
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NHTSA reports are about safety, not necessarily reliability. The nexus of an NHTSA complaint needs to be related to the safety of the traveling public. Without stating a specific and credible threat to safety, an NHTSA complaint will be rerouted to the circular file.

"While towing 10,000 lbs, the engine made a horrible knocking sound and then stopped, causing me to lose power steering, brake assist, and the ability to adequately control my load, placing the traveling public and myself at a grave risk of harm."
Well, if the engine dies while you are on the highway, isn’t that safety call?

·
262 Posts
Always a good idea to interweave key words like crash, fire, explosion, death into an impact statement when dealing with this agency, especially when filling out a form. Depending on the volume of complaints they receive, text scanning tools might be used to filter keywords to select and prioritize issues. Even if human read, those words are attention grabbers. We are dealing with bureaucrats that might not have the intellect to carry the thought further on the ultimate outcome of what might happen if your vehicle suddenly becomes disabled at Interstate speeds in heavy traffic/towing 10,000 lbs or dies on railroad tracks with a freight train bearing down on you.

Reactions: BQVTN

·
635 Posts
Reactions: BQVTN
1 - 7 of 7 Posts