Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tighten the play in the steering gear box. Over time mine is getting really bad with 19k miles on a 2018 truck seems ridiculous. Some gear boxes on other brands have the ability to do this.

·
196 Posts
my experience with 'loose steering' (on any vehicle) is that it is rarely the steering box (or rack). it's almost always tie rod ends, or ball joints, or control arm bushings or something of that nature. also, wear and tear on those items is extremely increased if you are running oversize wheels/tires and/or have suspension 'upgrades' such as a lift kit etc etc.

start by checking your tierod ends -- jack up the front of the truck and put on heavy duty stands and try moving the suspension and wheels in every direction and see what is moving. try with the wheels on and then take them off and use some big bars/tools to put some real force on the suspension and watch the ball joints and tie rod ends and control arm bushings for movement.

hopefully you are on a stock suspension and no 'upgrades'? if you are still in bumper to bumper warranty (sounds like you are) they should replace whatever is worn out. they won't if it's been 'upgraded' though.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Level kit, wheels and tires. I have already been around with my Nissan dealer when my strut went out at 12k miles. I found some play in the idler arm side to side and I have ordered a new one, I also ordered a steering stabilizer. I'll see what kind of difference this makes when installed.

·
4 Posts
Nissans steering boxes are junk I have play in mine too.. No other problems with the truck I love it but it just has loose steering. the dealership told me it was a reoccurring issue in the Titans.. most steering boxes have adjustments I can’t find one on my Titans steering box. I’m hoping an aftermarket steering box comes available and I can go that route. I’m used to it now but it took a while to get used to and I am frustrated when I hop between my 2019 titan and my 2017 Chevy work Truck and my titan feels like it’s a 1989 pos.... let me know how the stabilizer works out and the idler arm thanks

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the Idler arm, no fix to the loose steering and clunking. Still have not gotten around to installing the stabilizer since I have to have a bracket welded on. I think I am going back to stock and work out the steering afterwards. That way the dealership might help me.

·
3 Posts
Level kit, wheels and tires. I have already been around with my Nissan dealer when my strut went out at 12k miles. I found some play in the idler arm side to side and I have ordered a new one, I also ordered a steering stabilizer. I'll see what kind of difference this makes when installed.
Does your steering lock or are you able to turn the wheels by hand when you jack up the truck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts