Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing a weird loose feeling in the steering wheel while going over small bumps? Its hard to explain. Not a vibration and I only feel it when I hit little bumps. You can feel it in the steering wheel. No noises though

·
399 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing a weird loose feeling in the steering wheel while going over small bumps? Its hard to explain. Not a vibration and I only feel it when I hit little bumps. You can feel it in the steering wheel. No noises though
I thought I was the only one! Yes, it almost feels loose.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it could also be whatever shocks are on the PR model cause there different than the Pro 4X model ones.

·
399 Posts
Footloose, how would you describe it? Do you have the General tires on yours?
I do have the SL 4x4 that comes with the General tires. It doesn't feel like the steering is loose, but the suspension feels that way and it comes thru to the steering wheel. I've driven cars with loose suspension bolts and it feels like that. Almost as if a strut wasn't tightened down all the way inside the engine bay or something.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So do think just trying to tighten the the top bolt on the strut where the shock comes up through the upper control arm might help or where the shock mounts to the lower control arm?

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So went to the dealer and he checked alot of bolts and nothing seemed to be loose or broken. It might just be the bushings breakin in. I am gonna have to live with it unless it gets worse.

·
11 Posts
This.^

It doesn't feel to jumping over the road. It's the feedback that you can feel thru the steering wheel while hitting small bumps
Footloose,

Footloose, does it kind of feel like there is no resistance from the steering system when you hit small bumps or from road ruts on the highway? I think I have the same problem. Its a bit terrifying. It feels like anything could grab a tire and pull the truck off the road if you don have a full white knuckle grasp on the wheel.

Like you said, the steering isn't loose (no play in the steering), it just feels like you really need a steering stabilizer or something? There shouldn't be that much feedback on the steering wheel?

A brief look over the internet, it appears that the only steering stabilizer available for our trucks is the RC one. Anyone else find one from BDS or Zone or...?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
The steering doesn't feel sloppy. It's only over bumps where it doesn't feel solid like every other vehicle. Hard to describe.
Mine also feels a bit weird to me. I have the power adjust steering wheel on mine....and it almost fits like there is some play in it or something

Steering its self fits direct and fine. Its just the wheel itself. Idk Hard to explain. Going around it seems fine, but if you grab it at 9 and 3 and kinda push and pull opposite of each other, it feels like there is play in it.

·
9 Posts
I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm going through the same issues with my truck. I do think this is the old style recirculating ball type steering gear box, so that may need some adjustment... Like others have said, though, steering feels tight. Just happens after small bumps in road or the pitch of the road changes a bit. It was a bit more magnified when towing the travel trailer last week... Now I'm feeling it more. I'm not sure if it is worse or just a windy day for a drive.

I've also been looking for some polyurethane sway bar bushings, but haven't come up with a listing for the XD trucks yet. Some older Titan truck discussions also mentioned steering rack bushings. I'm not sure if the XD trucks have those or not, but worth a check.

BTW, It was this way with my original General Grabbers (SL trim) and my new Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts