Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
37 Posts
Jigsaw, I think I have the same feeling in my steering on my just over a month old XD. If I'm on a long turn like an off or on ramp and it's bumpy then anyone can feel it. Same thing over small bumps. I have a 4wd Pro 4x also. Truck has no play in actual steering wheel and tracks pretty true all the time. On my old Dodge it felt the same way when I bought that new and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft and that fixed it. At about 300 miles I was going to take the XD in but because I was heading for a long trip I decided to wait till I got back. I don’t like any work done to my truck before a long trip especially not on the steering so I waited. Just got back a few days ago so now have 2200 miles on it. Same weird metallic sound and feel in steering. No worse and no better. Just the same. I’ve checked the shaft looking through driver side front fender and the bolt is tight between the joints. Next time I’m at the dealer I will have them check it out. I’m not all in a hurry yet because it’s so new and also I’ve felt it before and it was an easy fix and was just annoying to feel. Let us know if you get yours into to have it looked at.

·
37 Posts
I forgot to mention I had the same metallic sound when going over small bumps and imperfections in the road and it was my hood needing adjustment as stated by another member. I backed out two of the outer rubber bump stops one whole turn and no more metallic sound over small bumps. Now this is not felt in the steering but I wanted to pass this along long just in case.

·
7 Posts
Resurrecting this thread... I have the same issue and wanted to see if anyone found a resolution to this issue.

I have the issue with:
  • bumps in the road
  • going over gravel at 40 mph or higher
  • a kick back feeling when accelerating from a dead stop
  • when the steering well is turned approx 15% to 20% (from center) to the right when turning and vehicle's weight shifts to the passenger side.
I always get the metallic clink / loose feeling in the steering wheel and can be repeated.

I have had my Pro4-X 4x4, with Gen Grabber tires at the time, at the dealer 5x for this issue drifting to the right as well (and no, alignment or new tires resolved this). Both front shocks were replaced (both exploded and no oil left in the cylinders), steering gear box replaced (was leaking), and driver lower link replaced (had movement it when lower vertical pressure was applied).

When the steering gear box and the driver lower link was replaced, this had no effect of the loose / metallic clink in the steering wheel. When I had the struts replaced the steering was stiff and the loose / metallic feeling was significantly reduced. Though only reduced for approx 1K miles and it came back.
I now have Open Country tires and the tire side walls are not as stiff as the Gen Grabbers. With new tires I also had the steering wheel re-centered via some adjustment the alignment guy did and the vehicle finally does not drift to the right.

I believe the metallic clink / loose feeling issue is possible passenger outer CV and both driver and passenger outer tie rod links.

Hopefully there is an answer out there or we can resolve this once and for all..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts