Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my Titan home from the dealership and the tail gate handle is not functioning properly. It seems that it is disconnected internally. Randomly the handle will work. I've tried with key, with out, with both and no rhyme or reason to when it will work. I've even read the manual with no helpful info. Is anyone else having this issue?

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I stopped back at the dealership today, They had two other SL models in stock which did not have the same tail gate issue. Strange thing though, the other two only had manual lock and unlock with the key while the one I have can be unlocked with the remote. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the issue resolved.

·
857 Posts
Could be something as simple as a wire or clip not doing it's job. I know sometimes that clips can go just like that, even on a new vehicle, although it's not that common.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service dept took it apart and told me it was a spring that was not fully engaging. They took the spring out, left it in the unlocked position internally with a zip tie until the part arrives from back order. At least it opens and closes now, also I put on the trifecta cover on the bed and it looks/functions great!

·
15 Posts
My tail gate works but the outside handle to door behind driver seat won't open. I have to open it from inside! I haven't had chance to get it to dealer.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: dealer called and said part is still on back order with no known date of arrival

·
96 Posts
only thing needed is to adjust the strikers, ours at work did the same thing a quick 1 minute adjustment fixed it.

·
405 Posts
only thing needed is to adjust the strikers, ours at work did the same thing a quick 1 minute adjustment fixed it.
How/where do you adjust it? It appears that when I close my tailgate the left side is flush with the body but the right side is pushed in. I need to pull the right side out a bit. Maybe 1/8" or less

·
22 Posts
Mine had the same symptoms. Occasionally it would work. However, most of the time, when you hit the electric unlock switch, you could hear what sounded like the lock disengaging, but the handle still would not open the tailgate. I eventually found two problems: First, the strikers had to be adjusted down almost a quarter-inch. The latches were tearing up the plastic sleeves on the strikers because they were so high. I THOUGHT that was probably the only problem - but no, the tailgate still refused to open most of the time.

So, I took the latch assembly apart. This is kind of hard to describe, but there are two plates sandwiching another plate that pivots between them on an eccentric path. On my truck the two plates were not parallel - they were pinched too close at one side. So the inner plate would only pivot intermittently. I took a flat blade screwdriver and pried the "pinched" end apart a little. Then I put some more white lithium grease on the plates, buttoned everything up, and it has worked perfectly ever since. The latch is really easy to remove, but takes a little head-scratching to figure out. On your truck, it might be as simple as greasing the two plates to allow the center plate to slide a little better. Might be worth a try while the dealership fumbles around for a warranty solution...

ERIC

·
235 Posts
If anyone decides to try this out on their tail gate handle, can you take a picture of the sandwiching plates and how to take the latch assembly apart?

Thanks!

·
22 Posts
When I said I took the "latch assembly" apart - I should have been a little more specific. I REMOVED the latch assembly, but did not have to actually disassemble the latch itself. To make this process a little clearer, I just pulled my truck into the bay and took the tailgate apart again to take some pictures.

In the first two pictures, you can see that you need to remove the 8 screws holding down the plastic tailgate liner (they also hold down the long metal latch cover plate that's under the liner.) You must also pull out the plastic push-rivet on each side of the liner. At that point, you can lift the liner high enough to put something under it to keep it out of the way (pic 3). It is held to the bottom of the tailgate by a STRONG piece of double tape and there is no need to remove that.

Lift off the long painted metal access plate and you can easily access the latch assembly (pic 4). Pop open the two yellow/orange linkage rod holders and remove the two 10mm nuts that hold the latch assembly to the outside handle (pics 5 and 6). You can now simply lift the entire latch assembly out of the tailgate (pic 7).

In the remaining pics you can see the black "looped" piece that must slide easily between what I called the "two plates" (actually the latch frame itself and the linkage mount.) This black piece is what the electric lock solenoid pushes on to unlock the tailgate. If it doesn't slide properly, it will not allow the tailgate to unlock. In the very last pic, the view is end-on. This is the area that, on my truck, was pinched down and wouldn't allow the release mechanism to operate properly and consistently.

I put a small flat-blade screwdriver between the plates and pried up until the "pinch" was gone. I also put a bit more white lithium grease in the slide area, then put it all back together in exact reverse of taking apart.

Just now, it took me about 7 minutes to take it all apart and put it back together. I hope that helps!

ERIC

Attachments

·
93 Posts
Thanks kraftee for the details. I just had to do this on mine. In my case prying open the two metal pieces further and adding lithium grease didn't help all the way. What I noticed though are the slotted mounting holes for the latch. Sliding the latch down about 1/8" toward the bottom of the tailgate from its original mounting position did the trick though. Folks might want to be cognizant of this.

·
104 Posts
Does anyone know if Nissan has an updated this assembly. The plastic arm keeps coming off the pin and the assembly is stuck in the last position.

·
705 Posts
So I received my bed cover today. Was super excited to install it but when I walked out to start my tailgate would not open. What is the luck of that? I opened up the gate as shown here and messed with a few things. My plates looked to be working as intended with enough play. For some reason the assembly was not moving fully to the unlock position. I loosened the assembly bolts and tried to slide it a little but not very successful. Anyway, I guess I moved it enuf because it seems to be working now. My concern is if I install the cover and the tailgate latch fails me again. I'm not sure there is a way to get into the bed if it does fail without doing some major damage to the tailgate or bed cover. . Ideas?

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR 4x4 - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
705 Posts
I've cycled my latch about 30 times now and can't get it to fail so I don't think I'm going to get the dealer to replace my mechanism under warranty unless it's not working. Problem is if it does quit working I'm going to have a completely secure truck bed with very few options to open unless I damage the tail gate or cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
705 Posts
It stopped working again. At dealership now for what I'm hoping is permanent fix!!

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR 4x4 - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts