Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there actually takin it out on a test drive? To see how it handles and accelerates? And other stuff....

·
19 Posts
I think Bigfoot has but they haven't found him or the truck since he left the mystery dealership that had one in stock.
Seriously, I haven't read anywhere here where someone has even touched the vehicle much less driven one. They are as elusive as Bigfoot even though they have been in production for over a month

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I touched one yesterday in Corpus Christi TX. Pro 4X, but it was in the showroom so we couldnt start it or anything. The dealer said they where still waiting till 2 January for a tech to come from mississippi to do training with them before they can get anymore in.

·
19 Posts
Better fully disclose that I'm a fleet manager at a Nissan dealer.....

I drove a platinum reserve. Seats super comfy, was bizarre how much I noticed that. Very quiet for a diesel at all times. Engine felt strong, would love to tow with it to experience what is reputed (and I think it is!) to be a great strength of the vehicle. Heavy & strong feeling. Rode quite smoothly.

Going 100km/hour it sat a a nice low RPM and was nearly fairly quiet road noise/engine wise. Steering feels light and accurate (much like the NV vans in that regard). Prototype (or more accurately early build) was well put together, not squeaks or rattles, nothing really standing out as not well done. I'm far from an audiophile but seemed to me the stereo banged out pretty good.

I did have the fuel economy reset at the start of my 100km's or so of driving, I don't recall the number on the screen when I finished driving it. I do remember thinking it was ok for a truck with that size and weight. We do not have any numbers internally on what it's "rated at" as apparently this vehicle will not be rated by the EPA.

I'm 6'2 240pds no problems with knees hitting anything or size problems. Back seats are huge no problem sitting back there. Liked the storage stuff in the back seating area.

The goal to make a 3/4ish ton truck feel like a half ton during driving has been accomplished in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to the supply getting a bit greater on the ground and getting one as a demo (probably take 8 to 10 months to get some inventory built up).

·
19 Posts
I'll need to spend some more time driving it but my first experience with it was excellent. I showed it to 4 sets of current Nissan fleet customers and all were quite complimentary about it. I did get several orders for trucks from those I showed it too.

As you might imagine we at the dealership level are quite excited about this truck...and impatient as everyone else is to get it here!

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
My salesman called me yesterday to let me know they should have some mid January.

When I talked to him a couple weeks ago ge said he had eight sold already, was just waiting on trucks.

·
903 Posts
Not sure how anyone could feel so certain they wanted to buy a truck before they even drove it. My last 2 titans have been great. I love how they drive like a car and they will haul just about anything I asked them to. Granted the specs on the new xds are great but how will they drive? Can't hardly wait to put in some seat time...

·
665 Posts
If I hadn't bought the Leaf I'd be number nine.

It's the technology in the truck and how well designed it appears to be. That's why I'd buy it sight un-seen.

I bought the Leaf without test driving it...

·
12 Posts
If I hadn't bought the Leaf I'd be number nine.

It's the technology in the truck and how well designed it appears to be. That's why I'd buy it sight un-seen.

I bought the Leaf without test driving it...
Wait, you were going to buy a truck that gets somewhere around 17MPG and you ended up buying a Leaf? Huh? LOL

We bought the Leaf when it first came out. The only way I'd do it again unseen is by leasing it like we did that one. We've since leased another one. I won't buy one until it can go at least 300 miles on a charge.

·
665 Posts
Wait, you were going to buy a truck that gets somewhere around 17MPG and you ended up buying a Leaf? Huh? LOL

We bought the Leaf when it first came out. The only way I'd do it again unseen is by leasing it like we did that one. We've since leased another one. I won't buy one until it can go at least 300 miles on a charge.
At the time I was getting pissed off with my other cars nickle and diming me to death on little things. I was driving my Q45 and my 300zx and for my daily commute they used more fuel than the payments on my Leaf.

After I ran the budget on the Titan I realized there was no way it could be my daily driver. Payments and operating costs are too high for a daily commuter.

I bought my Leaf, my intention is to run it into the ground or if I like the next gen Leaf, buy the new one and give my current Leaf to my dad.

I managed to reduce my fleet down to four cars, so for the vast majority of my needs, 150km of range is more than sufficient. A 500km range Leaf would pretty much remove the need for me to ever use a vehicle with an IC engine, but I do still need a pickup occasionally.

·
12 Posts
At the time I was getting pissed off with my other cars nickle and diming me to death on little things. I was driving my Q45 and my 300zx and for my daily commute they used more fuel than the payments on my Leaf.

After I ran the budget on the Titan I realized there was no way it could be my daily driver. Payments and operating costs are too high for a daily commuter.

I bought my Leaf, my intention is to run it into the ground or if I like the next gen Leaf, buy the new one and give my current Leaf to my dad.

I managed to reduce my fleet down to four cars, so for the vast majority of my needs, 150km of range is more than sufficient. A 500km range Leaf would pretty much remove the need for me to ever use a vehicle with an IC engine, but I do still need a pickup occasionally.
So you're happy with it? We loved our first one enough to lease a second one, but wifey only drives 30 miles a day at most.

As soon as it can go over 300 (480 Km) miles per charge, I'm getting one to drive to work. I commute 100+ miles (160 Km) round trip every day.

·
19 Posts
I would like to look at one. I drive 40 miles one way all hyw to work and 40 back home. What is the distance on these? Do you have to get some special plug put into your garage to charge nightly

·
665 Posts
I bought my 2015 Leaf in July and I'm a little over 19,500km. My commute is ~125km or higher if I have errands to do. I have a L2 charger at work so I have no range anxiety issues with my commute. I drive the Leaf like I stole it. It excels at passing people!

The Leaf has sold me on the electric car. Once 500km range is the norm the electric car will really take off. The electric car is a better driving experience by a wide margin.

edit to add: 125km round trip

·
665 Posts
I would like to look at one. I drive 40 miles one way all hyw to work and 40 back home. What is the distance on these? Do you have to get some special plug put into your garage to charge nightly
The biggest ripoff with electric cars are the EVSE(Electric Vehicle Service Equipment). They're a $500-$1000 glorified smart extension cord. For your commute you'd probably need a L2 charger on both ends of your trip to have plenty of range to spare.

At home I'm using the 120v L1 charger that comes with the car but if I work overtime the car isn't fully charged in the morning. I'm going to put in a OpenEVSE at home, has more options for half the price.

Another issues is even Leaf certified dealerships don't know much about the Leaf or even really want to sell it. There is almost nothing to service on them and what little there is, isn't difficult to do at home.

·
12 Posts
Nope. Not for you, unless you can recharge somewhere along the way.

I bought my 2015 Leaf in July and I'm a little over 19,500km. My commute is ~125km or higher if I have errands to do. I have a L2 charger at work so I have no range anxiety issues with my commute. I drive the Leaf like I stole it. It excels at passing people!

The Leaf has sold me on the electric car. Once 500km range is the norm the electric car will really take off. The electric car is a better driving experience by a wide margin.

edit to add: 125km round trip
Wifey's got a radar detector in hers. Everyone asks her why. Those people have never driven an electric car. The power's insane!

The biggest ripoff with electric cars are the EVSE(Electric Vehicle Service Equipment). They're a $500-$1000 glorified smart extension cord. For your commute you'd probably need a L2 charger on both ends of your trip to have plenty of range to spare.

At home I'm using the 120v L1 charger that comes with the car but if I work overtime the car isn't fully charged in the morning. I'm going to put in a OpenEVSE at home, has more options for half the price.

Another issues is even Leaf certified dealerships don't know much about the Leaf or even really want to sell it. There is almost nothing to service on them and what little there is, isn't difficult to do at home.
The chargers are very expensive. But, with $12,000 in incentives, it's easy to afford one for your garage. As for Nissan dealerships not knowing anything about the Leaf, I'd say it's getting a little better. I still knew more than my salesman a few months ago, but I don't blame him. I actually owned a Leaf for 3 years. But you're right. They should get trained on them. Even have to drive them. It'd help sales.

·
665 Posts
Nope. Not for you, unless you can recharge somewhere along the way.
In this you are incorrect, at least as far as my 2015 is concerned, and is even less of a concern with the 30kWh battery in the 2016.

A bridge was out on my drive home, so I had to take the long way around which was close to 100km. The entire trip was on the highway, cruise control locked in at 100km/h. The largest drain was a small mountain I had to go over. Arrived home with 9% battery.

So if he has an L2 charger on both sides of his highway commute, 40miles wouldn't be a problem as long as he didn't go too fast.

I've noticed, 80km/h draws around 12kW, 100km/h - 18kW, 140km/h 30+kW.

·
235 Posts
Well the Chevy Bolt is coming out with a 200+ mile range and it's supposed to charge pretty fast. So it's the perfect daily drive accompaniment to the Titan XD.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts