Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we had a test drive scheduled today. Met the wife there, with the baby, while the other 2 kids were in school.

Rides heavy, but that's expected. The wood plastic on the steering wheel partially defeated the heated steering wheel. Blocked the 'lower' palm area of my hand. I suspect the pro-4x will function better as it's a typical leather wrapped wheel. Our former '04 Maxima with heated steering wheel was very nice.

Brakes nicely. Slight diesel delay before the turbo kicks in from dead stop, but not too bad. I do have some diesel experience, but not much, so this is just my opinion.

For whatever reason, and the salesman said the same thing, the running boards/step bars that are standard on the PR weren't on it. So it was a good step up into it and I'm 5'11". When we looked at their Pro-4x they'd just received, it was next to another PR. The Pro was 2-3" higher than the PR. More clearance in the wheel wells as expected.

And now the fun time, with about 3/4 of the test drive done, the battery light came on, then the check engine, then dash said '4x4 mode fail, consult manual. Then 'DEF fluid, consult manual. Then radio died, then more lights on the dash (should've taken a picture) and wife rolled her window down a bit to just 'test', then it wouldn't go back up. We lower it a bit more, still wouldn't go back up. So had to drive with snowy and slushy conditions at 0c/32f with window down and baby in the back. Wasn't bad as the heater still worked, but not something you want happening on a brand new vehicle with 600km on it.

So got back to the dealership, parked it. Turned it off. Waited 10 seconds, tried to turn it back on, wouldn't turn over.

Told salesman, he was surprised. I'd say 30 minutes later, notice it was moved, asked the 'lot attendant' if he knew what happened. He didn't know anything, and he was the 1 that moved it, it just started up just fine and no indication of an issue. Gremlins.

Salesman said 3 XDs were purchased site unseen. On their '2016 Titan CC XD Diesel - Gradewalk' paper, it shows *S, SV,SL Base trims - Late availability / BSW & RCTA - Late Availability.

BSW being Blind Spot Warning, yeah, that would've been nice knowing that, as our '12 Quest has it, and since driving a newer top end Nissan that's much larger, I would've liked having that.

RCTA being Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

Salesman unsure if either of these would be put into current units at a later date. Yeah, you need to not say that and say, yes, it lists it, it will have it.

Also he didn't know what the 'Follow Me home function' was. Yep, neither did I, that's why I asked. He also didn't have a solid answer on 'Pre-wire for DVD FES'. Told me it was the 3 inputs for a Playstation to plug into and use the display. Once I clarified he meant the main center display as their wasn't any other display, I rolled my eyes, he didn't know the answer to this either.

He touted it as '3/4 ton power in 1/2 ton size' with over 12k lbs towing and 2k payload. Told him, no, this is a PR, it's 10.6k towing and 1470 payload. I think at this point, he decided to stop BS'ing me, as I knew my homework.

These beefs aside, and the wtf gremlin in the system during our drive, if Nissan or the dealerships would (factor in talking Canadian dollars) by 10k then they'd be realistic. I just don't know why they're being so stubborn with wanting to get these on the road, but not at the current pricing. That Cummins will do alot of the saleswork, but not all of it. I would consider buying 1, but not at the current pricing.

·
122 Posts
I am jealous, I havent seen a PR in person yet. The truck could have been in dealer mode or transit cause I have had that happen to cars before when I went for test drives. All the features dont work properly on transit mode. The trucks are the same height if you measure the back from the ground. The PR has slightly bigger tires on it with the 20" wheels.

·
119 Posts
I worked for a rental company (with new cars being delivered and put in the fleet) for a few years and "transit" mode usually defaulted speeds and some other minor functions, not the kind of wackiness described that this unit had. There's so darn many computer finctions these days that it'll probably be a few months before all of the gremlins are worked out...a friend's new diesel Dodge 1/2T has been back to the dealer for 3 ECU reflashes...and those include the 8 speed tranny computer.

·
15 Posts
This morning, I test drove a SV trim with the premier option. I've owned a diesel engine vehicle before so it was interesting to hear that diesel engine sound. This one had the 20" wheels and heated front bucket seats. The truck rides nice and everything worked like a charm - except when before the test drive, the low tire pressure light was on and it indicated that the two rear tires needed air - I mentioned this to the sales consultant and he said don't worry and off we went. The sales consultant told me that the dealership has received 5 XD's so far and all but 1 were pre-sold

·
927 Posts
Sounds like a poor ground connection or a connector that is not fully seated. In transit mode you would have some options that don't function properly but not the battery and engine lights coming on.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the salesman today via email;

We found out what was wrong with the Titan that day when it malfunctioned. There was a loose positive battery terminal which was becoming loose when it hit bumps etc. Causing the loss in power etc. Just thought you may be curious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts