Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may have seen from the large thread, linked below, NavyCuda has been working on a tune for our trucks, specifically the diesel model. He's been at it for about a year, but he's finally been able to produce a tune that he felt was worthy of beta testing, after alphas testing it on his own truck with excellent results. He wamted to make sure it worked on another truck before selling it. That's where I come in. I've been testing his most recent version, which at the time of writing this post is V2.18. I agreed to be a guinea pig after an agreement with him. He would send me this tune via my EZ Lynk Auto Agent 2, and I would download whenever I wanted to. He asked for honest feedback in great detail, which I promptly provided after testing, and datalogging if something seemed strange, which never happened. He does not have the money to provide me any sort of warranty if something were to go catastrophically wrong and destroy something. If his tune blew up my engine, I was on my own. I understood the risk.

I installed it about a week ago, and immediately let the truck idle for ~30 minutes. It sounded normal, compared to my old tune, but that changed once the coolant reach 10°C, at which point the turbo's rotary valve opened up a tad. Before reaching 10°C coolant temperature, the truck is choking itself for warmup. After this, it idles normally. Most tunes leave it choked, from lazy programming. With V2.18, it sounded like a different truck entirely. The turbos weren't as loud, with my 4" straight pipe, and it had a deep, pleasant, harmonic thumping for an exhaust note. The engine sounded less stressed.

After 30 minutes of idling while watching various sensor readouts on my EZ Lynk app, I decided to drive it. Immediately noticable was that pedal response. It requires a hair more input to get going compared to my CTT tune, but that took about 20 minutes to get used to. I asked NavyCuda about it, and he said it was intentional, to help the truck be more efficient and easy on the turbos. A tradeoff I'm happy with. I had my phone monitoring the sensors while driving. I was out for about 45 minutes, driving through a residential area, a town, and a highway. It was 3am, so traffic didn't exist. I could test as I please. I noticed the turbos weren't as loud compared to my previous tune, which is nice. The truck drives smoother, and swems like it's mot working as hard. V2.18 makes the rotary valve much less restricive since this tune, unlike others, doesn't let the ECM try to raise exhaist gas temperatures to satisfy emissions equipment that isn't even there. This gave me greater thermal efficiency, which I noticed when my coolant temperatires only moved by a degree or two while cruising. Previously, it would oscillate by around 12°F, bounching off the thermostat as the truck kept restricting the exhaust flow to make the gasses very hot for no applicable reason. Lack of emmisions equipment renders this behavior to be needlessly inefficient. In other words, my truck is now allowed to breathe properly, and I noticed a slightly better indicated MPG readout on a route I take often. Below 1000 RPM, the truck has a very deep rumble, like a deleted 6.7 Cummins. I never guessed a 5.0L V8 diesel could sound that good.

Overall, I'm very happy with the tune. NavyCuda is still working on it, with the primary goal being efficiency and longevity. I believe he's getting into timing now that the air maps are addressed. This should help amplify the fuel savings if handled correctly. I'll state it again, I'm not being paid, I still have my old tune and can install that if I wanted to at any moment, and I tested this at my own risk. I will not be making any commision of his sales, so it doesn't make a bit of difference to me if anyone buys it. I'm simply a man that gambled his truck to test a tune. I'm sharing my honest opinion about V2.18 because it emrages me to see what few companies we have in our timy aftermarket gouging us for money for medicore products. Examples are various companies producing lazy tunes that simply tell the ECU that everything's ok with emissions instead of getting rid of those parasitic larameters, CFT charging over $1000 for a kit to delete an EGR but it comes with a bunch of excessive shit like charge pipes and a resevoir, and Titan charging $1400 for a fuel tank; a box with hoses for liquid. It's been several years since our trucks started being sold, and we just now have a better option for tuning. Some of ua have found cheaper solutions to remove the EGR and some are selling their improved ideas, and many are sharing methods for cheap and easy fixes that woukd cost us thousands at a dealership of poorly trained mechanics who just throw parts at shit instead of finding the actual problem. We're own our own, Nissan left us out to dry, and the aftermarket is greedy. NavyCuda's tune is a great example of a community fixing shit themselves.

Navy's write-up on his progress that he keeps updating: Update! - Fuel Efficiency 0Hp Tune for the 5.0L...

2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
1,295 Posts
I really appreciate you validating my work. I don’t know if I would have said yes in your shoes, some random person on a forum claims to have written a tune… wanna try it?! Yeah…

Thank you again and I appreciate the kind words.

For me, it’s a labour of love, I’ve wanted this truck and engine combination since it was announced. My truck is my precious!

320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your tune killed my engine, I can't imagine how pissed my wife would be that I blew it up or bricked the ECM with some experimental tune from a random internet dude.

1,295 Posts
I'm curious to know, have you experienced any change in transmission behaviour as it gets used to the tune?

I asked NavyCuda about it, and he said it was intentional, to help the truck be more efficient and easy on the turbos. A tradeoff I'm happy with.
I wanted to cover this point a bit further. In our private discussions I mentioned about how there is a very large dip in the map at idle. The charge air tables are written in absolute values, with 0psig being a full vacuum and 14.7psig being sea level. When the engine is at idle the ecm is trying to maintain a value set in the calibration, 650rpm. The engine adds the fuel required to reach equilibrium over all the parasitic loss. In the stock calibration and many of the deleted ones, the charge air map is calling for 18psig of manifold pressure. Some of that comes from egr, but once the egr is disabled that all has to come from the turbos. The rotary valve is then commanded to clamp shut to increase the exhaust velocity enough to drive the high pressure turbo to hold boost at idle... and it will hold boost at idle. I'm calling for 4.5psig of manifold pressure at idle. This makes the idle far more efficient because the engine will naturally fill the cylinders above that pressure. This can add complications in very cold weather behaviour, while the engine is cold however.

So I could, theoretically increase throttle response in the low rpm areas by giving more turbo and fuel, or adjusting the accelerator map to ramp requested torque faster. However, as you accurately pointed out, this goes against my stated goals.

The best fuel economy comes from the engine being relaxed. It has plenty of power and can get to highway speeds without ever seeing any boost at all, if you're willing to wait for it. It will hold 60mph on the flats with no indicated boost (<1.5psi). Most of the work this engine does is in the low rpm, low fuel areas. It's advantageous to economy to soften the response in these high traffic areas. Everything above 2000 rpm, charge air is set to be on the slightly lean side but nothing like stock.

With V2.18, it sounded like a different truck entirely.
This is by far one of my favourite points about the tune. Though if I'm completely honest, v1.13 sounded the best, however I, again got extremely lucky there. I had disabled all the post injections and that caused some oil consumption issues. Thankfully that's all that happened. All four of the injection events are critical to the health of our engines, as a result v2 has all four. This slightly softened the exhaust note and took a little bit of "brapt" out if it. I have a video on youtube with I think v1.13 idling. Can see the oil getting past the rings.

v2 has proper rotary valve control and it really shows. on v1, the valve could clamp up and effectively stall the engine on hard tip in. V2, you can barely hear when the rotary valve has to force a bit of restriction to bring up the boost. My stereo is always off, and the passenger window is open ~1" so I can hear my turbos. My wife isn't the biggest fan of the Music of my People, but it's a cultural thing so she deals.

We're own our own, Nissan left us out to dry, and the aftermarket is greedy. NavyCuda's tune is a great example of a community fixing shit themselves.
The aftermarket is greedy and in some cases dishonest. I don't believe Nissan and Cummins intentionally left us out to dry. I think Nissan and Cummins, and frankly Cummins should know better, but did not adequately explain to their customers what they were getting into. The 6.7L in the Ram is an industrial engine. Everyone that buys that truck knows that. They know diesels need more attention and cost more to fix when something goes wrong. Nissan and Cummins both tried to sell the ISV as a drop in gasoline to diesel replacement in a V8 envelope. It's still an industrial diesel engine, despite how advanced it is. Nissan was not prepared for the realities of a diesel engine, someone in Nissan kneecapped the XD and consigned it to failure when they abandoned the 3/4 to 1ton market. I don't care what anyone else says, the truck spells it out, it's a 1 ton truck with half-ton axles. There is no real market for knee capped one ton, we can't legally use our trucks for what they're capable of.

I do appreciate the kudos, but perhaps don't be so quick to do so. I started out wanting to share everything I learned and produced. I'm still going to share my knowledge, but now I do understand why diesel tuners are so secretive and get away with charging so much. It took so much work to get here, not many people would appreciate the gesture if I just gave it away. I'm leaving my longevity tune priced so low because I really want people to take care of their trucks and make them last forever... these engines are not being produced anymore. I'm not going to share the work that went into the longevity calibration. I wanted to have this tune compatible with consult, I won't anymore. If one of my xcals, or binaries made it out into the wild, all the work I put into this tune could be stolen, slapped onto one of the other tunes and someone else makes a quick buck off my efforts.

550 Posts
Heck yeah guys this is good to hear for sure. If it all gets sorted out and proven I have not one problem with purchasing this tune from you. Sounds better and better fuel mileage? Shit I’m all for it

14 Posts
Awesome to hear! The lower boost above 2k rpm really makes sense. I live in texas with 70-75 mph insterstates around and I am always wishing for one more gear for efficiency but I am sure the lower boost would help a lot as well.

1,295 Posts
Awesome to hear! The lower boost above 2k rpm really makes sense. I live in texas with 70-75 mph insterstates around and I am always wishing for one more gear for efficiency but I am sure the lower boost would help a lot as well.
The ISV was designed to rev, with its fully rollerized valvetrain it's a rather low friction engine. Bumping the rpm up to lower boost is a reasonable way to save fuel.

147 Posts
Congrats to you @NavyCuda & u @Two Yeets for making & testing the tune unbiased!
I don’t have a clue how you figured out how to make ur own safe tune, but hats off!

like Cajun mentioned, if u make sure it’s proven, safe, reliable, & save fuel, u will sell a lot I’m sure!

again.. great job!

179 Posts
Looking forward to this. The tune I'm using, the tuner said over a year ago (to the reseller, not me) he doesn't care if there are problems with it, he's done messing with it and just continues to sell it because people will pay for it.

320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a lazy dick. People trust their engines to him, and he refuses to make them better. Turbos overdriven, overfueling to get hot for emissions equipment that don't exist on the truck, and premature timing with disabled/removed EGR's are placing a tremendous burden on the engine and supporting systems.

I can tell you first hand, NavyCuda got it right, and is still improving it almost daily. Meanwhile, he's also charging half as much everyone else, and keeping us informed with detailed progress reports.

14 Posts
Sounds like a lazy dick. People trust their engines to him, and he refuses to make them better. Turbos overdriven, overfueling to get hot for emissions equipment that don't exist on the truck, and premature timing with disabled/removed EGR's are placing a tremendous burden on the engine and supporting systems.

I can tell you first hand, NavyCuda got it right, and is still improving it almost daily. Meanwhile, he's also charging half as much everyone else, and keeping us informed with detailed progress reports.
Have you still been testing v2.19 or are you testing v2.20 which it seems navycuda is on? Either way now that you have more time with it what has been your opinion?

1,295 Posts
Navy, will your tunes remain on the EZ-Lynk for re-flashing as well?
Initially I will only sell permanent service, I have complete control over which versions are released. I can pull a tune and it can’t be installed again, for example. It won’t take that tune off your truck though.

I’m starting to think about releasing a couple different versions and then taking feedback on which things people like so I can work towards a long term release.

320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you still been testing v2.19 or are you testing v2.20 which it seems navycuda is on? Either way now that you have more time with it what has been your opinion?
I'm still on V2.19, and have been pretty damn busy the past few days. I'm installing V2.22 sometime today, but probably won't drive. Maybe tomorrow, I need to pickup some plywood.

4 Posts
Is there a chance this tune will work well with emmisions on trucks? I have the Proven Diesel tune installed with full support but am unsatisfied at how long it’s taking to communicate with the technician. And apart from that, the fact the the tune isn’t problem free on a stock truck is saddening as well.

1,295 Posts
Is there a chance this tune will work well with emmisions on trucks? I have the Proven Diesel tune installed with full support but am unsatisfied at how long it’s taking to communicate with the technician. And apart from that, the fact the the tune isn’t problem free on a stock truck is saddening as well.
This is a completely emissions disabled tune.

550 Posts
I don’t think there’s an emissions on tune that’s worth a shit for our trucks. If you want to tune, delete it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts