Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
575 Posts
Glad they are finally getting info out there. Rather surprised how wide the RPM range is - all the way to 4200 revs.

·
38 Posts
Is anyone else worried about the 4 chains on the v8? I know Cummins is very reliable but most of that reliability reputation came from their inline engines. More moving parts to me seems like more liability for something to go wrong. This has been my first concern I have seen so far and I have been following the titan xd development for a while now. Just wondering if y'all think it would cause expensive problems after 10 years or so of ownership?

That being said I'm new here and will be buying a new truck when I graduate college in May. I love the titan xd and the idea of a 1/2 ton with the reliability, capability, and gas mileage of a diesel. For me, as with most of yall, it will come down to pricing and gas mileage. I will be waiting till next summer to pull the trigger (after people have tested it in the real world and Nissan is offering summer sales events). Until then I will have to make my 2002 trailblazer last lol.

·
94 Posts
Chains will have a shorter life than gears but how much shorter really depends on the stresses they are under and how they are maintained. Chains will likely be quicker and easier to change than gears in the event of failure but as long as they are well lubricated and properly tensioned, that might not be an issue. The only concern I have is that in a quest for quiet, Nissan might have the chains a little on the tight end which can lead to stretching and sprocket wear. We could list pros and cons and speculate all day but the fact is there are many higher RPM applications with lesser chains that have no issues and this isn't the first engine to feature a chain driven DOHC set up. I look forward to the real world data on this when it's finally made available.

·
28 Posts
That's the only concern I have heard about the ISV 5.0L is the Timing Chains but I am very confident in Cummins and with there decision.

·
492 Posts
Chains

My 2004 Titan has 142,000 miles on the original cam drive chains.
Mine often sees 4000-5000 rpm for extended times when towing up hills.
They are quiet, and I haven't heard of any chain failures on the 5.6L Endurance engine. There is not much load on any of the chains.

It has been pointed out that the Cummins 5.0 ISV will rev to 4200 RPM, but I am betting that you won't need to go there very often since the torque is max at 1600 RPM and very flat across the RPM range. With a 6 speed transmission, I expect that it will have all of the power that it needs without having to rev it that high.
JMHO

·
313 Posts
With my 2005 Passat TDI, the problem wasn't with the chain itself but with the chain guides, which wore out prematurely. Luckily VW came up with a replacement gear driven module for the oil pump.

But are there any V engines using gears to drive overhead cams?
I can't imagine the clock-work complexity that would involve, and getting the gear lash right wouldn't be easy.

What do the V8 Powerstroke or Duramax use?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
666 Posts
Nissan had issues with chain guide materials in the early VH45s but they fixed that in a couple years. The VQ series v6 are all chain drive.

The ISB, Powerstroke and Duramax engines are push rod engines. So even if there was a chain, it would be short and robust like the small block chevy timing chain. The old B-series are gear drive for sure, but I've never been inside the newer ISBs.

·
313 Posts
Nissan had issues with chain guide materials in the early VH45s but they fixed that in a couple years. The VQ series v6 are all chain drive.

The ISB, Powerstroke and Duramax engines are push rod engines. So even if there was a chain, it would be short and robust like the small block chevy timing chain. The old B-series are gear drive for sure, but I've never been inside the newer ISBs.
Thanks, good info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts