Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a 2019 XD diesel Platinum Reserve at a price that puts it well below comparably priced 1/2 ton competitors. This truck will be a daily driver and not a “work” truck. I’ve done my research on issues, and knowing what I know about actual numbers vs message board/internet complaints, I’m not really concerned.

The XD is more truck than I “need” as my current boat is about 8K. But I “may” want to go bigger at some point. So I have no problem going a little bigger on the truck and as I said, it’s less than a comparable Chevy 1500 with the smaller V8 when comparing trims.

I’m most intrigued by the warranty. It is that fact alone that has made me seriously consider this truck. So..knowing it’s discontinued...knowing the issues (which, as I said don’t really bother me based on likelihood of data), the biggest issue I can not quite get past is the regens. I’ve owned diesels before and this seems out of the ordinary.

So...would you do it? Would you do it all over again at this stage knowing what we know? Thanks in advance y’all.

·
1,261 Posts
Yessir I would, not a doubt in my mind. Once you hook up to your boat you'll understand. The regens arent bad. I drive my truck kinda hard so regens only come about every 700 miles and lasts for 20 minutes. And yes my truck is my daily driver, only tow maybe once a month maybe every 2 months. I've put 20k miles on her and shes never let me down yet.

·
427 Posts
Titan XD diesel has a great combination of comfort and muscle. Too many people continue to compare it to competitors 3/4 ton trucks, and it is not was it ever intended to be in that class.

Compared to competitors 1/2 ton trucks, some of which promise competitive max tow weights, the XD tows easier and better, confident and competent, and many will attest to it's ability to go way beyond normal capacity while operating w/o a problem. So, towing 8k but maybe need 5o give more at some time, this is ideal for that.

Despite the occasional outraged person who has had a truck which developed a problem, on the whole they work well.

Also, despite the occasional outraged person who has trouble with their dealership or Nissan representative, most reported issues that occurred to owners have been fixed by Nissan under warranty. It has been my observation that Nissan honors their obligation, sometimes beyond their legal requirement. However this may vary depending on your dealership.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
427 Posts
The Regenerations can be annoying, however I have operated other recent diesel models from Ford & Dodge and they don't seem any better on smell or equipment longevity, there is variation in frequency between the brands and engine types and I think that may have as much to do with how close they are coming to real EPA regulations as anything else. Just note how Dodge had to deal with problems in their diesel motor offered in 1/2 trucks, stopped offering it as an option and had to work with regulators on fines/reparations etc. So sure, long time between regens and low DEF usage, but turns out it wasn't meeting emissions regulations so....

Making diesel motors cleaner is a good idea and the only way we are going to be able to continue to have them as an option in small trucks, so I'm willing to deal with it.

·
427 Posts
Regens/Diesel suitability

Also, diesel is maybe not the best choice if it will only be driven around town and on short errands. You'll end up with more frequent regens for sure and the mileage and pulling power advantages won't be as obvious. It definitely needs to have some highway miles put on it and/or worked hard occasionally, in fact that is where is abilities really shine.

·
427 Posts
Warranty work and Discontinued Motor/Drivetrain

Their was a lot of "The sky is falling!" reaction going on about them discontinuing the motor and therefore nobody would support it. This attitude has no basis in fact. It simply failed to be a profitable venture for them (mostly their own fault in my opinion). Nissan has every intention of continuing to support the motor and drivetrain, offer mechanical work and parts, honor the warranties, and so on.

I am not exclusive to Nissan/Datsun but I have owned two cars and a little pickup that had drivetrains/motors which were discontinued and I continued to be able to find components and mechanics, both factory and local shops, to keep them operating like new for a very long time. The only reason I ever got rid of them was because I or my wife would fall in love with some new vehicle. This being a Cummins motor I remain certain there will be parts and mechanics available for quite a while.

·
3 Posts
Not sure if this helps but. I recently bought a new 2019 diesel 2 weeks back. I have currently almost 2k miles and have only had 1 regen that lasted maybe 15 - 20 mins tops. I pull with this truck daily, nearly 8k pound cargo trailer as I am a contractor in South Texas. I have owned a truck (half tons) from every brand out there. This should have been my first truck. This truck drives so well, pulls fantastic, great miles per gallon. 13.5-14 while towing and about 18.8 not towing on the highway. Buy the truck, you will he happy you did. I plan on keeping this truck for a while as I drive about 800-1000 miles a week. One thing I can tell you is that I have talked to numerous people and diesel techs along with cummins who recommended diesel kleen (gray bottle) since I started using it my mpg are up and I feel better knowing that the pump is hopefully more lubricated than just using straight diesel alone as the ultra low sulfur diesel is not the best lubricant.

I have contacted Nissan and cummins ans have been reassured that the warranty will still remain in affect and parts will still remain available

·
177 Posts
everything combatdoc said is spot on! mine is a 2016 bone stock and I love it; this truck was made with me in mind (a very heavy half ton for guys who tow a lot and work the truck with a decent load. my 25' enclosed car trailer weighs in just under 10k). I use it as my long distance daily driver too (if the trip is under 10 miles I won't use the truck). mine has been totally trouble free; only been to the Nissan dealer for recalls/reflashes. I guess the big question is this -- what is your version of daily driver? if you make frequent short hops during the week then this truck might not be for you. it'll get caught in frequent regen cycles and might even get the dpf plugged up. I'd say my average mileage when i drive it is 40-70 miles a day. when towing its like 500 miles a day. so mine gets worked and is 'happy'. i too like combatdoc use a fuel treatement every fillup (hot shot secrets is what i use) and it's for peace of mind and yes it seems to help with extreme cold weather starting and also slight increase in fuel milage. one last thought for you - the diesel requires lots more expensive maintenance (especially if you don't do it yourself; i do all my own). every 10k you have to replace both fuel filters. I do my oil every 7k (and it takes nearly 11 qts of fairly expensive Valv Prem Blue synth). every 20k the trans needs spilled n filled. because of the way i use it, it's worth it to me. especially cause it tows SO DAMN WELL. and at the same time rides so well unloaded (way better than any other 3/4 truck). so for me it's like Nissan tailor made it. i guess it depends for you what your daily driving is really like. hope that helps i know it was longish haha! (and again i love my 2016 XD PR Cummins!!)

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I am in South Fl and my daily driving is usually 20-40 miles. However, I MAY be back “on the road” in the next few months depending on work, and in the past I would put 25-35K per year on my vehicles. So...I’m trying to buy the vehicle for now (limited driving and towing on weekends) and later (long highway trips).

·
37 Posts
Get the non XD gas. It will be cheaper for you and tow your boat just fine. And cheaper all around, especially if you start doing 20k a year.
Unless you are towing heavy or in the hills alot, he nonXD gas is cheaper $/mile and the gas engine has a much longer and frankly better track record than that Cummins.
Even the XD gas is arguably cheaper if you dont tow alot.
(Flame suit on)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
1,242 Posts
^...BUT. The non XD gas isn't near as capable for towing. There is absolutely NO comparison between the two when it comes to that. Even in gas trim the XD will handle the weight much better. I have a trailer that I tow for work with my Tundra 5.7 crewmax. That same trailer behind my XD isn't even close. (it's a 6 1/2 x 12 tandem loaded with a Kawasaki Mule FXT, 25 gallon diesel tank and job box) You feel every sway, shift, and bump with the Tundra...not so with the XD.

And my XD IS a diesel.

·
301 Posts
Get the non XD gas. It will be cheaper for you and tow your boat just fine.
I traded in a non XD gas Titan ('06) for an XD and while the non XD 5.6 will tow your boat it will be a lot more demanding on the driver. I towed my 8k lb camper with it and any side wind will give you white-knuckle driving and feel like the tail is wagging the dog.

And while the 5.6 is more than capable of towing that load, it'll have to do so at high RPM be it an XD or non-XD. So get used to down-shifting for any significant rise and having the engine drown out any sound system and conversation. Going up our long mountain passes up here was torture with how loud the 5.6 was. Whereas the Cummins purrs like a kitten the whole way up the incline. You don't have to turn up the radio volume one bit and you don't have to pause conversations until you get to the top.

Add the significant increase in MPG and the diesel has turned out to be a very wise purchase.

·
37 Posts
I don't disagree with a thing that either of you said. For towing you're absolutely right. The Cummins will perform better, especially if you're routinely towing heavy at high altitude in the hills with high winds.
BUT this guy is only going to tow on the weekends and he lives in South Florida the biggest hill he's going to see is the boat ramp, and hes at sea level.
For a daily driver and possibly long commuter. The small MPG advantage of the Cummins over the nonxd gas does not cover the higher cost of fuel. And is one heck of a premium to pay for a modest towing capacity bump.

I did all this math a year ago when I bought my truck, the math dont lie. If you want to start talking about deleting the DPF and tuning and other mods that starts to help a bit, but the legality and warranty impact is debatable and a big risk. And if you live in a state that has emissions or comprehensive vehicle inspections forget about it you just can't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
166 Posts
I have the opportunity to buy a 2019 XD diesel Platinum Reserve at a price that puts it well below comparably priced 1/2 ton competitors. This truck will be a daily driver and not a “work” truck. I’ve done my research on issues, and knowing what I know about actual numbers vs message board/internet complaints, I’m not really concerned.

The XD is more truck than I “need” as my current boat is about 8K. But I “may” want to go bigger at some point. So I have no problem going a little bigger on the truck and as I said, it’s less than a comparable Chevy 1500 with the smaller V8 when comparing trims.

I’m most intrigued by the warranty. It is that fact alone that has made me seriously consider this truck. So..knowing it’s discontinued...knowing the issues (which, as I said don’t really bother me based on likelihood of data), the biggest issue I can not quite get past is the regens. I’ve owned diesels before and this seems out of the ordinary.

So...would you do it? Would you do it all over again at this stage knowing what we know? Thanks in advance y’all.
i fret about mine but I’m at 93000 problem free clicks. Im a big fan of this truck and the way she tows is amazing. Nissan did a good job on this truck.

·
146 Posts
I own a 16 XD 5.0 with 56K miles I have had no mechanical issues other then a very loud ac compressor which Nissan claims is normal. I regen every 300-500 miles. I have found the hotter and more humid it is the frequency of regens happens more. My daily drive is about 32 miles round trip. With 50% of that highway. When my truck regens I just burn it out on the highway. It lasts 20-25 miles and my fuel mileage drops to 7-10 miles per gallon for that entire time. I think when you burn a regen out in a single trip you get longer life out of those emission components. I really like the XD for comfort and ride I like the 5.0 it has personality. My wife likes the comfort and cup holders. LOL. I will say every time it goes into a regen I say I am going to delete it but haven’t yet. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts