Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GMC aiming to climb the small truck diesel hill also:

Just for the fun of it, tried to build one to get a look at the price but diesel engine was not yet an option. Doesn't state here but I think a 7700 lb tow rating. Couldn't find anything on MPG. Interesting, but a bit small for me i think.

NEW DURAMAX DIESEL ENGINE
Like the legendary Duramax V-8, Canyon’s available all-new Duramax 2.8L I-4 Turbo Diesel engine delivers abundant torque and horsepower—doing it all with stingy efficiency. The Duramax 2.8L features a variable-geometry turbocharger for optimal power and efficiency across the rpm band and a balance shaft for greater smoothness. Stay tuned to gmc.com for fuel economy ratings, which are expected to be released fall, 2015.

Other Duramax features and specs:
181 horsepower at 3400 rpm and 369 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm
Segment-first exhaust brake uses engine compression to slow the truck down, reducing the amount of conventional braking needed while driving downhill
Includes an integrated Trailer Brake Controller
B20 Biodiesel capable
Paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission

·
313 Posts

·
94 Posts
It's a 1/4 ton...I don't think it competes with the 1/2 ton eco diesel at all. I think it's just competing with current 1/4 tons and gets the glory of being the first to the market competition for the other spoken of 1/4 ton diesels like the speculated diesel Frontier or Tacoma.

There is no assumption on whether or not the XD has an exhaust break. The XD uses a turbo system that can function as an exhaust break(which seems to be what most people call an exhaust break these days). there is and neat animated video on its functionality on YouTube.

·
313 Posts
It's a 1/4 ton...I don't think it competes with the 1/2 ton eco diesel at all. I think it's just competing with current 1/4 tons and gets the glory of being the first to the market competition for the other spoken of 1/4 ton diesels like the speculated diesel Frontier or Tacoma.
1/4, 1/2 that's just nomenclature.

The GMC Duramax has similar payload and tow capacity to the Ecodiesel, but it is smaller and less powerful.

The GMC Duramax may be at the high end of its class, and the Ecodiesel at the low end of its class, making their ratings similar.

There is no assumption on whether or not the XD has an exhaust break. The XD uses a turbo system that can function as an exhaust break(which seems to be what most people call an exhaust break these days). there is and neat animated video on its functionality on YouTube.
Yes, the Holset M2 turbo can function as an exhaust brake. They say so in their literature. But nowhere have I found any reference to an exhaust brake in Nissan's literature. The video you mention doesn't talk about any exhaust brake functionality either.

Nissan does talk about how the transmission's tow/haul mode can be used to engine brake and how you can control downshifts by tapping the brake pedal.

Until Nissan says something more definite about the exhaust brake, I can only ASSUME that they have implemented it. Personally I think that it's near certainty that they did, as it would be really stupid not to.

But ..., I understand the RAM Ecodiesel does not implement an exhaust brake even though it supposedly has a turbo capable of doing so. So anything is possible I guess.

·
31 Posts
Toyota's chief engineer was pretty definite about the Tacoma not getting a Diesel engine. Rumors are still out there that the Tundra will have a diesel option for 2017. They need to do something if they plan to stay in the 1/2 ton truck business. The 2016 Tundra has changed very little from the 2007. Same lousy mpg. Ford has also backed off their no diesel in the F-150 stance and are rumored to be currently testing one. If the Titan XD ever shows up and is successful or if the Tundra gets a diesel, I'll bet we see one in the F-150. The longer Nissan drags out the release the more likely they are to see competition. Good deal for those of looking to buy a diesel 1/2 ton.

·
94 Posts
Toyota's chief engineer was pretty definite about the Tacoma not getting a Diesel engine. Rumors are still out there that the Tundra will have a diesel option for 2017. They need to do something if they plan to stay in the 1/2 ton truck business. The 2016 Tundra has changed very little from the 2007. Same lousy mpg. Ford has also backed off their no diesel in the F-150 stance and are rumored to be currently testing one. If the Titan XD ever shows up and is successful or if the Tundra gets a diesel, I'll bet we see one in the F-150. The longer Nissan drags out the release the more likely they are to see competition. Good deal for those of looking to buy a diesel 1/2 ton.
I'm under the impression that the no diesel taco statement was made before Toyota made significant advances in diesel efficiency. If so, I think that "no" is more of a "not in the 2016 model year"

·
31 Posts
In an interview with Toyota's chief engineer for trucks, he made a very definite statement regarding the Tacoma but left the issue of putting a diesel in the Tundra open. Of course he also said diesel was a dollar more expensive then gas when it was only about $0.10 higher.

·
56 Posts
Gas was $1.95 today while I was out riding. Diesel $2.05. That makes small Diesel's for fuel economy a hard sell from my point of view.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
You can trick the online builder. I'm pretty sure later on in the build it has a place to add exhaust brake. When you add that the engine shows up and gets selected.
I was seriously considering the canyon diesel but it's the room. As far as comparing it to the eco diesel. Capabilities are real close, I believe the gm even has more payload then the ram.

·
94 Posts
In an interview with Toyota's chief engineer for trucks, he made a very definite statement regarding the Tacoma but left the issue of putting a diesel in the Tundra open. Of course he also said diesel was a dollar more expensive then gas when it was only about $0.10 higher.
Made a definite statement for the current model year. Nothing in that statement holds them to it for any longer than that.
Diesel is consistently $0.10-$0.20 per L cheaper than gas up here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts