Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and seen threads on paint quality and issues. I fairly recently purchased my '18 and according to carfax this was a one-owner accident free truck. It is an '18 with over 50k miles and is not perfect, but I have a paint issue that seems like a quality issue to me. I have various chips, nicks, and even scratches, but this started as a small spot on front passenger fender, it has grown, and now close to it is another larger similar looking spot. It appears the paint is just flaking off. If you can zoom in on the pic the smaller spot is what showed up 1st and the lighter color was original size. A couple days ago it grew to new size and can see color difference. It also appears to have a small bubble below like it is going to grow again. The second larger spot was 1st noticed this morning and it all just looks like flaking paint from either poor quality paint, poor prep work, or possible both. I know this is an area that can get chips, I have those and will deal, but this doesn't look to be damaged or disturbed.

Any thoughts or ideas? Should I even visit dealer?

·
66 Posts
The dealer will tell you that it is out of warranty, I have the same problem with my truck and paint isn’t covered under the 5/100k. I want to say it is 3/36k but I can remember for sure. I’m saving for a vinyl wrap personally. But god forbid you say anything bad on here or the forum police will come on here and tell you that you are an incompetent person that doesn’t know how to take care of your paint. So be prepared for that.

·
1,333 Posts
Open a case with Nissan North America. They will probably fix it.

I follow a guy on Instagram and he had his whole truck resprayed after reaching out to them- his truck was also white. He tagged them on Instagram, they reached out and opened a case. Pretty cool to see it happen like that.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same issue in the same place, also in Glacier White. If Nissan won't help you, and I haven't tried, you can get touch-up pens on Ebay for about $24 a piece. The part number's 999PPPSSDQAK, and if you want a link, let me know.
I plan to get some touch-up paint to at least maybe slow the process, but I believe mine is Pearl White. I hate the way touch-up looks, but it can't look any worse than it currently does. It just sucks because I searched for awhile for this truck, just got at the end of March, and while used, still spent alot of money to have paint already flaking off.

I did write Nissan USA to see what they say; I will keep posted.

I am certainly no expert, but I have painted a car and a couple boats so I'm not a total idiot. I know what I am seeing it not normal and it is not chips. As a second owner I cannot guarantee this hasn't been repainted, though it does appear to be factory.

I haven't read enough on the subject to know if this perceived issue is exclusive to Titan or Titan XD, however over the years I have owned 4 other Nissan's and have an Infinity QX80 and have never seen such issues.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. I have already gotten a response from Nissan; I have been assigned a case number and need to take truck to dealer for "diagnosis by an authorized Nissan Dealer". This might not go anywhere, but I will definitely let it play out and see.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I went to a somewhat local dealer only to be told they cannot help because they do not have a body shop. They said I would have to go a dealer in the next state over, over an hour away, as they are only dealer with body shop. Finding time during working hours to deal with is a challenge and paint is getting worse. According to Nissan USA website there are Nissan Certified body shops local, so I responded to my case email to see if I could have inspected by a local Nissan Certified shop of there choosing. Stay tuned.

I find it interesting that 2 different car people I have talked to about, before seeing the truck, guessed it was white, and the other mentioned in this thread is white. The dealer I visited today did say Nissan had recalls on some Rogue's and another model that they said received bad paint work.

·
4 Posts
My wife's 2009 WHITE Nissan Murano did the same thing!!! But I have notice a lot of white cars and trucks from several different manufacturers (mostly Dodge and GM) have pealing paint. I was once told (don't know how true) it was because the paint is used with water when sprayed on at the factory due to some EPA BS and at a body shop they don't use the water and it sticks to the primer. Seems like I see a lot of gray primer showing on the white ones that have pealed.

·
1 Posts
My white 2017 Titan XD P4X has this issue as well. It started with the tailgate which was covered under the warranty. That has since expired and now my hood is flaking. The paint under the hood in the engine bay is worse. I came across a class action settlement but it only pertained to older, white Rogue's and Qx56's. I had this same issue with a 2005 white Frontier. How many more of us are out there that would like to get our own class action lawsuit going?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
1,013 Posts
The best white paint that ever existed was Ford Oxford White from the 1990s.

Nissan has always used soft paint, the only old Nissans that still have good paint were garage kept.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts