Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with factory equipped titan boxes, is the key for the doors the same used for the boxes? I bought a set of boxes off another member, expecting to be able to have the locks rekeyed. Especially because these should be available as an accessory eventually, you should be able to match your original key to them. But my girlfriend's family owns a locksmith business and I'm here now, and i just pulled the lock tumblers out and they are a solid piece and can't be taken apart without damaging them. Then to top it off, each tumbler has a different code stamped on them, and they don't pull up as a Nissan key code in his database.

I just want to verify that these are set to the trick key originally, or if they came with a separate set of keys.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, as I was sitting here writing this, he cut a key somehow using one of the codes, and it works in one lock, but not in the other. He's checking something for the other lock. But I think is pretty silly that I'd need all these separate keys.

·
167 Posts
Those of you with factory equipped titan boxes, is the key for the doors the same used for the boxes? I bought a set of boxes off another member, expecting to be able to have the locks rekeyed. Especially because these should be available as an accessory eventually, you should be able to match your original key to them. But my girlfriend's family owns a locksmith business and I'm here now, and i just pulled the lock tumblers out and they are a solid piece and can't be taken apart without damaging them. Then to top it off, each tumbler has a different code stamped on them, and they don't pull up as a Nissan key code in his database.

I just want to verify that these are set to the trick key originally, or if they came with a separate set of keys.
They are a self cutting lock. The Nissan key fits and when you put in the first time and turn it cuts the tumblers to suite that key. if no key was used, you could still cut to any truck key. if it was already done, it will be cut to the key that belonged to the previous owner. I was a early purchaser and my boxes didn't show up until a month after I purchased the truck and I installed myself. This is how I set my boxes to my truck keys.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the code that worked he was able to look up, which didn't work the first time because they didn't stamp the numbers correctly and the last number looked like a backwards 3, but ended up being a 6, just missing some punch marks. But the other code looks completely legible but doesn't pull up.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They are a self cutting lock. The Nissan key fits and when you put in the first time and turn it cuts the tumblers to suite that key. if no key was used, you could still cut to any truck key. if it was already done, it will be cut to the key that belonged to the previous owner. I was a early purchaser and my boxes didn't show up until a month after I purchased the truck and I installed myself. This is how I set my boxes to my truck keys.
Hmm, maybe one lock was set to the original owner key and he never used the other lock, which just set itself with this key we just tried. I guess i might see about getting new tumblers.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up just getting the other key made the old fashioned way with a file. So I have lockable boxes now but different keys. I'll just have to live with that for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts