Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016 Titan xd diesel SL yesterday from the nissan dealer. I had a 14 titan SL 4x4 gas for the last 6 yrs and loved it so much decided to upgrade. It has 70k miles and all seems ok, but I really want to keep this truck on point, any advice or tips I may need to know or pre maintenance advice anyone can share is highly appreciated.

·
941 Posts
Trade it in for an XD gasser! Read up on the diesel issues. Most forego the warranty for the delete and tune, this is your best bet to keep the diesel out of the shop for repair. Good luck.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trade it in for an XD gasser! Read up on the diesel issues. Most forego the warranty for the delete and tune, this is your best bet to keep the diesel out of the shop for repair. Good luck.
I’ve been reading a ton of blogs and it’s so mixed, some people say it’s the best thing they’ve ever owned and the other half are horror stories….

·
510 Posts
Yes, it does seem to be a luck of the draw thing. As a 2016 SL owner (stock, no mods albeit with only 20,000 miles on it--it is not a daily driver) I have had no problems--yet perhaps. It is clear there can be problems with EGR's (even if deleted--they made a change in 2017 to the EGR to beef it up a slight bit--2016's can have problems earlier..) and the DPF, SCR and DEF systems have a lot of electronics and things that can go wrong. Polyanna to think otherwise. Are deletes the answer? Opinions vary, but it is hard to deny that eliminating the DPF, SCR and DEF system takes a lot of potential problem areas out of the equation.

Hard to argue with regular fuel filter changes using Fleetguard OEM or a quality filter--don't exceed 10000 miles. Also, consider using a lubricity additive such as Diesel Kleen or others--many threads and opinions on that here. Keeping the HP fuel pump lubricated and those piezo injectors clean cannot be bad thing Also, if stock, consider lowering your oil change interval. All that soot and high temps....will it keep you from spinning a bearing? Who knows, but it is cheap insurance.

All you really can control is clean fuel and oil, and other fluids. Right? Enjoy--they are fun, super comfortable trucks to drive.

·
941 Posts
I’ve been reading a ton of blogs and it’s so mixed, some people say it’s the best thing they’ve ever owned and the other half are horror stories….
If you read about what you say before buying, then you shouldn't second guess your decision cause it's probably too late. When everything's working right, hands down the truck drives and rides really good.

A diesel fuel additive is a good choice due to quality of diesel fuel here in the US. I use this whereas others use the cheapest to the most expensive additive and had no complaint.

·
733 Posts
It is the best thing I have ever owned, and it is a horror story. :D

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
838 Posts
The best fuel additive is Stanadyne Performance Formula.

Though any quality fuel additive should be considered a must.

I run Mobil Delvac 5w40. I’m of the opinion the factory oil spec is too thin for a diesel.

·
306 Posts
Have you got a CEL code reader? Best investment. There are several links on the site to a blutooth reader available on Amazon, and the software (OBD Fusion, I think).

I had a CEL, P00B7-00 (Coolant-related error) for a while, came on, went off. The coolant sensor/tank had to be replaced (mine was under warranty, but apparently not too expensive).

I love my '17 5.0 PR (41K miles), but there is a level of anxiety over the engine.

I use the Cummins Approved Diesel Kleen (Power Service). Can't say if it's done any good or not, but I've been using it for the last 10,000 miles (ever since turbo actuator valve had to be replaced @ 30K), and no problems asides from the coolant sensor.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you got a CEL code reader? Best investment. There are several links on the site to a blutooth reader available on Amazon, and the software (OBD Fusion, I think).

I had a CEL, P00B7-00 (Coolant-related error) for a while, came on, went off. The coolant sensor/tank had to be replaced (mine was under warranty, but apparently not too expensive).

I love my '17 5.0 PR (41K miles), but there is a level of anxiety over the engine.

I use the Cummins Approved Diesel Kleen (Power Service). Can't say if it's done any good or not, but I've been using it for the last 10,000 miles (ever since turbo actuator valve had to be replaced @ 30K), and no problems asides from the coolant sensor.
No I don’t have one of those, I’ll look into that, and yes the coolest sensor is bad and it’s on a national back order for 3 months…guess I’m keeping it until then…I really want to keep it but just seems like to much knit picking things going wrong with it…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts