Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have quite the story (Its long, sorry).

So I bought a used 2016 titan xd diesel with 76k miles. Carfax shows it had been taken care of. I inspected it, with no death rattle, performance issues, or leaks. I purchase it. I get a 3mo powertrain warranty and I purchased an extended warranty that is just below bumper-to-bumper. (Omissions weren't covered apparently).

I drive from Arlington VA -to- Powhatan VA, it has no issues. The very next morning (less than 12hrs) I go to work, a CEL pops up, but no performance issues. When I'm done I use my scan-tool it shows excessive EGR flow and bad data for the NoX sensor.

Of course I am raging, made it clear to my dealership. For 3days I get screwed around by the internet sales manager saying he is in contact with dealership manager, service manager,and some other manager (depending on the day). Everyday I hear "He will call you shortly" which never happens. I then text him back and he wants to get arrogant with my questioning him.

I get fed up and put a very articulate and detailed review on dealerreview.com. less than an hour later, the general manager calls me and asks about what was happening (he had heard nothing from anyone and saw my review).

They offer to replace everything at a place of my choosing, if i take down my review. The NoX sensor gets replaced at a local (not in network) service center free of charge.

It's freezing during ownership and I noticed a very slight drop in coolant, then the next week, the CEL comes on again. Take it to the same service center, the EGR cooler was leaking, so my dealership covered the cost.

Another week goes by... the CEL comes back with the original codes. I take it back to the service center. Come to find out, the SCR was ruined alongside the new NoX sensors. This time, i took it back to Arlington and they replaced everything FOC.

I honestly don't know if I should be raging or pleased they honored everything. It's been quite the journey, but everything has been solid... now. The dealership manager even paid for my rental truck while the SCR/NoX sensors were replaced.

My hat is off to that guy for squaring things out, but I had a suspicion that a tech at the service center or the previous owner resetted the original codes (Not blaming the dealership).

Anyways, I'm not a vengeful person if you make right by me... it's water under the bridge now.

What are your thoughts?

·
17 Posts
Just bought a 17' with 77k. Didn't make 1 mile before pb007 came up along with "limp mode". Have learned a lot since yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the information.

·
733 Posts
Always check PID 0x31 "Distance traveled since DTCs cleared " when inspecting a potential used vehicle purchase, especially at a dealer. It can take several hundred miles of driving for the ECU to run all of its periodic self-tests. Dealers will almost always take advantage of this to sell a used car with CEL issues.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
838 Posts
Always check PID 0x31 "Distance traveled since DTCs cleared " when inspecting a potential used vehicle purchase, especially at a dealer. It can take several hundred miles of driving for the ECU to run all of its periodic self-tests. Dealers will almost always take advantage of this to sell a used car with CEL issues.
Are you checking that with ez lynk or a different tool?

·
733 Posts

·
733 Posts

·
133 Posts
A tip for anybody with the P00B7 coolant flow code: rotate your coolant resevoir sensor like you're unscrewing it. About a quarter-turn and it should drop. Don't worry, no coolant will come out. This will clear the code since the sensor will think the tank is full. These sensors are shit and often claim you're low on coolant even though you're fine. You can't buy them alone, it has to be purchased with a whole damn resevoir. Just check on your coolant level every so often and you'll be fine.

Here's a thread with the 2-second fix that will help many XD owners:

·
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have quite the story (Its long, sorry).

So I bought a used 2016 titan xd diesel with 76k miles. Carfax shows it had been taken care of. I inspected it, with no death rattle, performance issues, or leaks. I purchase it. I get a 3mo powertrain warranty and I purchased an extended warranty that is just below bumper-to-bumper. (Omissions weren't covered apparently).

I drive from Arlington VA -to- Powhatan VA, it has no issues. The very next morning (less than 12hrs) I go to work, a CEL pops up, but no performance issues. When I'm done I use my scan-tool it shows excessive EGR flow and bad data for the NoX sensor.

Of course I am raging, made it clear to my dealership. For 3days I get screwed around by the internet sales manager saying he is in contact with dealership manager, service manager,and some other manager (depending on the day). Everyday I hear "He will call you shortly" which never happens. I then text him back and he wants to get arrogant with my questioning him.

I get fed up and put a very articulate and detailed review on dealerreview.com. less than an hour later, the general manager calls me and asks about what was happening (he had heard nothing from anyone and saw my review).

They offer to replace everything at a place of my choosing, if i take down my review. The NoX sensor gets replaced at a local (not in network) service center free of charge.

It's freezing during ownership and I noticed a very slight drop in coolant, then the next week, the CEL comes on again. Take it to the same service center, the EGR cooler was leaking, so my dealership covered the cost.

Another week goes by... the CEL comes back with the original codes. I take it back to the service center. Come to find out, the SCR was ruined alongside the new NoX sensors. This time, i took it back to Arlington and they replaced everything FOC.

I honestly don't know if I should be raging or pleased they honored everything. It's been quite the journey, but everything has been solid... now. The dealership manager even paid for my rental truck while the SCR/NoX sensors were replaced.

My hat is off to that guy for squaring things out, but I had a suspicion that a tech at the service center or the previous owner resetted the original codes (Not blaming the dealership).

Anyways, I'm not a vengeful person if you make right by me... it's water under the bridge now.

What are your thoughts?
An Update,

At 91k mi now
I have had zero issues since and I am regularly seeing 20+mpg, but that is with consistent addition of fuel additives (Hot shots every day diesel), along with my 95% hwy driving, with barely any idling (unless letting my turbo's cool after a trip). I also replaced every fluid/filter in the truck myself with the higher quality stuff.

I could not be happier with this bad boy.

I still have all the weight on it, but once I run through my warranty, I will update you all later with my diet status.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts