Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
742 Posts
Wow that's super cheap. Just be aware that you'll need a sump as well to prevent low fuel pressure problems below about 1/4 tank.

·
945 Posts
Wow that's super cheap. Just be aware that you'll need a sump as well to prevent low fuel pressure problems below about 1/4 tank.

I thought the OEM fuel pump is powerful enough to suck any sized tank dry, even a Gerber baby bottle.

However, why a sump pump? Does the OEM fuel pump in the aftermarket tank commonly lose prime at 1/4 tank full because the fuel surface level drops appx. to 1/2 of what existed in the stock tank, and thus intermittent fuel starvation exist when taking off at a quick speed (flooring it) and/or from traveling up and down hills leaving a void of fuel between both longer ends of the tank where the pump sets and is now high and dry?

If true, the aftermarket tank is a worthless purchase to the prudent until a redesign hits the market that has a small well molded below the tanks bottom equaling a gallon, two or more of fuel capacity for the OEM pump to go down into.

·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I thought the OEM fuel pump is powerful enough to suck any sized tank dry, even a Gerber baby bottle.

However, why a sump pump? Does the OEM fuel pump in the aftermarket tank commonly lose prime at 1/4 tank full because the fuel surface level drops appx. to 1/2 of what existed in the stock tank, and thus intermittent fuel starvation exist when taking off at a quick speed (flooring it) and/or from traveling up and down hills leaving a void of fuel between both longer ends of the tank where the pump sets and is now high and dry?

If true, the aftermarket tank is a worthless purchase to the prudent until a redesign hits the market that has a small well molded below the tanks bottom equaling a gallon, two or more of fuel capacity for the OEM pump to go down into.
Personally I would buy the current tank and put a bean sump on it, I don’t feel the fears most have in their head truly are rational. For all the bean sumps installed show me just one example where someone ripped off the sump or a fuel line. I’ve yet to see an actual failure in my research. To me your more likely to get in an accident driving then have an issue with the sump in the life of ownership of the vehicle. Wish I had jumped on the deal.

The aftermarket tank is only a 1/2” or so deeper then factory but way longer, therefore more gallons in the tank when low, sump cures any issue with having a longer tank.

·
945 Posts
Personally I would buy the current tank and put a bean sump on it, I don’t feel the fears most have in their head truly are rational. For all the bean sumps installed show me just one example where someone ripped off the sump or a fuel line. I’ve yet to see an actual failure in my research. To me your more likely to get in an accident driving then have an issue with the sump in the life of ownership of the vehicle. Wish I had jumped on the deal.

The aftermarket tank is only a 1/2” or so deeper then factory but way longer, therefore more gallons in the tank when low, sump cures any issue with having a longer tank.
So your saying fuel starvation exist and not a weak fuel pump as I read anothers response to be? And where is the best place for this bean sump pump in the tank. I never seen the sump to fuel pump setup you guys are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

Not a SUMP PUMP, a SUMP... Just a "low spot" to pick up fuel.Wish I would have seen that at that price! I think it's a good idea to add the sump to the tank. Good place to drain water.

·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Not a SUMP PUMP, a SUMP... Just a "low spot" to pick up fuel.Wish I would have seen that at that price! I think it's a good idea to add the sump to the tank. Good place to drain water.
Good catch I didn’t even notice he was thinking a replacement pump.

·
945 Posts
Tell me what this persons response reads to be; "...you'll Need a Sump as well To Prevent Low Fuel Pressure Problems Below About 1/4 Tank." which is a false statement because the OEM pump can suck any sized container dry when positioned correctly. And thats about 99.9 % of the time.

So instead you guys are saying to add a sump well to the plastic tank yourself? yeah right!! Or are you saying the tank needs to be redesigned to include a sump well molded to where the stock fuel pump will go in it, which is what I expressed needs to be done. Otherwise the larger tank is a worthless design with the pump sucking air as the now lower fuel level at 1/4 tank sloshes up and down the extended tank ends and creating a void of fuel supply to the pumps intake. Simply put in mechanics terms across the country w/o cursing...It's a worthless POTrash. :serious:

·
945 Posts
DTF, nice product, and it's on sale for a good price. It fits the bill for resolving issue with a poorly designed, over priced POTrash tank that requires the customer to modify for correct operation. Just wonderful, today's new standard!

·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
fshn16, well ok we all can have a view but I respectfully disagree. Also a sump is better then a suction process as it currently is in my view. Also if you ever upgrade to a hi flow pump you’ll need to add a sump any way.

But the reason for a low pressure issue with the tank is the fact they had to get the extra space for fuel on a horizontal plane and not vertical, therefore you have more gallons at a low tank level remaining.

That said I won’t buy one until I can get this price as I don’t feel the tanks are worth the retail price, I should have ordered but was thinking on it.

·
945 Posts
fshn16, well ok we all can have a view but I respectfully disagree. Also a sump is better then a suction process as it currently is in my view. Also if you ever upgrade to a hi flow pump you’ll need to add a sump any way.

But the reason for a low pressure issue with the tank is the fact they had to get the extra space for fuel on a horizontal plane and not vertical, therefore you have more gallons at a low tank level remaining.

That said I won’t buy one until I can get this price as I don’t feel the tanks are worth the retail price, I should have ordered but was thinking on it.

It's a shame that the mfg offers a subpar product at an extravagant price. When I buy new I don't expect to drop more cash to correct a faulty designed product, and won't. There are other options to get the job done. If not and it's needed, then I'll make it or have it made as long as the cost is less than or equal to the sub par poorly designed product.

As far as loosing ability to maintain fuel output pressure with this aftermarket tank, I now understand fuel starvation occurs due to poor tank design. It's not due to failure of fuel pumps output ability if fuel intake is with constant submersion in fuel at any tank fill level. That's the answer I was looking for. Also learned about the bean sump which looks like a good product to me, so now I'm good to go to know of a POTrash tank on the market and it's fix for the DIY guys who just have to have it now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts