Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The road to the 2015 Titan debut hasn't been an easy one. In fact, the January 2015 debut will be 4 years later than the Titan was originally supposed to be released.

Nissan was in partnership with Chrysler Group to produce a version of Chrysler's under-development new Ram pickup. That plan went under when Chrysler entered into bankruptcy reorganization in 2009.

Nissan then had to start over again all on its own to develop a fully redesigned full-size truck. They really had to start from scratch too since the last Titan never really sold that well. With rivals just recently releasing updates or redesigns to the market, Nissan has to make sure it gets it right.

Nissan only sells 1,000 Titans a month, That trails far, far, far behind the F-Series and Silverado which sell at 60,000 and 45,000 a month respectively.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2014/10/17/nissan-titan-pickup-detroit-auto-show-late/17473505/

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In order for Nissan to have limited success with their truck they need to have something that they can hold up as their thing. What I mean by that is that the Titan has to do something better than its competitors. Even with that it won't be outselling the big boys but at least then it gives people a reason to look at it.

·
81 Posts
In order for Nissan to have limited success with their truck they need to have something that they can hold up as their thing. What I mean by that is that the Titan has to do something better than its competitors. Even with that it won't be outselling the big boys but at least then it gives people a reason to look at it.
What could that 'better' thing be that the Titan needs as leverage to do better?

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In other threads we have been talking about it going after the work industry. So I am thinking bed capacity, tow capacity. It will be a diesel and if it can't beat the Ram Ecodiesel in fuel mileage then it should bank on the torque and try to win out there.

·
857 Posts
In other threads we have been talking about it going after the work industry. So I am thinking bed capacity, tow capacity. It will be a diesel and if it can't beat the Ram Ecodiesel in fuel mileage then it should bank on the torque and try to win out there.
How well do you think it will do in the work industry since american trucks seem to be taking up a lot of that? do you think people will be more likely to accept the idea of getting the nissan or stick with a ram for example.

·
55 Posts
and as I've said in other threads, Nissan does not have the dealer network in rural areas where the majority of this work is conducted. Besides there are limitations to what kind of capacity a half ton pickup can do. until they can show otherwise I'm still leery that 550+ ft-lbs is going to tear the frame to bits...

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if the Titan was equally or more capable than its American counterparts, I think that people have such strong connections to the American brands that it wouldn't even make much of a difference. They would get some converts, but most people probably wouldn't be swayed.

·
340 Posts
Even if the Titan was equally or more capable than its American counterparts, I think that people have such strong connections to the American brands that it wouldn't even make much of a difference. They would get some converts, but most people probably wouldn't be swayed.
we've seen a similar situation play out with the Tundra. Great capability, great reliability, yet its numbers have never reached the levels you would expect... not even made in Texas has done them any good...

·
81 Posts
that's what i have noticed with them, they are great trucks.
what ever is in the plan for next generation models need to be as good or better than what Nissan is doing here.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think another thing that makes the truck segment so difficult is there is less room for innovative design. A truck basically looks like a truck every time. Its not like you can take a risk with the design to get people's attention really.

·
340 Posts
I think another thing that makes the truck segment so difficult is there is less room for innovative design. A truck basically looks like a truck every time. Its not like you can take a risk with the design to get people's attention really.
design goes deeper than body contours, MUCH deeper. TRucks are about function, if you can't function why are you here?

diesel in a half ton is a design decision, aluminium trucks, thats a design decision. Don't get caught in myopia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts