Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of the titan people look at forums or not but I just want to post this.....I think it is very important that the titan XD be offered with a 5.5' bed. This is something you can't get from the others. A heavy duty truck that is maneuverable, parkable, and can tow 12k lbs.

If the XD is a 6.5' bed only then you're up against the Ram HD and Super Duty. Please don't ignore the market portion that doesn't want that extra foot in the wheelbase.

·
857 Posts
I feel like Nissan will give as many options as possible to max sales on this truck. I'm guessing 5.5', 6.5' and 8' beds will all be available for the XD.
I sure hope they do, the last thing they need is to further complicate the process for owners, making it as smooth sailing as it can be is going to put the ball in their court more times than if they don't do this.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so as well. Two wheelbases at least.....

Single cab with 8'
Super cab with 6.5'
Crew cab with 5.5'

Or

Super cab with 8'
Crew cab with 6.5'

I've only seen pictures of the longer wheelbase and it makes me nervous. If they make the shorter wheelbase then I'm in, if not I'll keep my 6.2L f150 Crew with 5.5' bed. I've owned a super duty before and it sucked when not on the interstate or in the field.

·
658 Posts
I don't know if any of the titan people look at forums or not but I just want to post this.....I think it is very important that the titan XD be offered with a 5.5' bed. This is something you can't get from the others. A heavy duty truck that is maneuverable, parkable, and can tow 12k lbs.

If the XD is a 6.5' bed only then you're up against the Ram HD and Super Duty. Please don't ignore the market portion that doesn't want that extra foot in the wheelbase.
A Diesel truck meant for towing should have a 6.5' bed as a minimum. That is what Nissan Titan XD is going for here right? How many 5th wheel/goose neck trailer towers are going to want that short of a bed? If you haven't done it/researched it, then you probably dont know the problems a short bed like that causes with towing these types of trailers. Considering they are offering a factory goose neck in the Titan XD (from a certain trim level & up), I would be surprised to see anything less than 6.5' in the Titan XD Diesel version.

However... In the non-XD gasser version, I would think that it would be completely reasonable and they should make a 5.5' bed an option. I believe they will too, since they will be using a different frame anyway.

just my $.02...

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Diesel truck meant for towing should have a 6.5' bed as a minimum. That is what Nissan Titan XD is going for here right? How many 5th wheel/goose neck trailer towers are going to want that short of a bed?
just my $.02...
I think your definition is too narrow. Bumper pulls are the majority of 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck+trailers I see (including my own). If Nissan thinks like you then I believe they will miss their "in-between" market segment. Let's all hope for choice.

·
608 Posts
It might be that they release the different options over time instead of all at once, but I would say that more options will definitely be released.

·
658 Posts
I think your definition is too narrow. Bumper pulls are the majority of 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck+trailers I see (including my own). If Nissan thinks like you then I believe they will miss their "in-between" market segment. Let's all hope for choice.
It might be that they release the different options over time instead of all at once, but I would say that more options will definitely be released.
If I were to bet, Nissan wont offer a 5.5' bed with the XD Diesel package, at least not for a while. Maybe if the market demands it and if sales seem to justify it. They are already having to go with a beefed up frame to handle the Cummins and I bet a shorter frame would reduce the towing capacity.

Cost is a big issue with auto mfgrs. The more they can use part continuity from one to another, the more they can keep cost down. Having two heavy duty frame lengths for the XD diesel version and having two light duty frame lengths for the gasser versions (along with different engine, body/bed, and trim level pkgs) may be asking too much of a company that barley even has a share of the market.

I hope you get your wish. You're right, this truck is intended for that in between market and as of now, I cant think of anyone who makes a diesel with a 5.5' bed. Maybe there are a lot more folks like you out there who are willing to buy one and maybe there is a reason no one makes a short bed diesel. Time will tell.

·
608 Posts
I completely agree with you that it will only happen if sales can justify it. It wouldn't make sense to offer so many options if they didn't have the sales volume, and this particular option seems particularly expensive now that you describe it.

·
857 Posts
Good chance that the configuration we're talking about here is filling a demand nissan sees potential with that isn't filled as much as it should. come time for sales it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can get a 6.5' bed on a super cab ford HD. It's a smaller wheel base truck and the trim level is capped at Lariat. If you want higher trim then it's a longer truck. You also get all the height, width, girth, & ride of a HD.

Here is a table I made a while back and added what I could find on the XD

Bed WB Length
F150 Crew 5.5’ 145 231.9
F150 Crew 6.5’ 156.8 243.7
F150 SCab 6.5’ 145 231.9
F250 Crew 5.5’ 156.2 246.8
F250 SCab 6.5’ 141.8 232.4
Toy SCab 6.5’ 145.7 228.9
Toy Crew 5.5' 145.7 228.9
Titan XD 6.5’ 151.6 242.9

The most popular 1/2 ton around here (Dallas) is the Crew with 5.5' bed. At 232" long you can actually drive it around and use normal packing spots. Mine is rated at 12k towing with 6.2L and tow package. It's a great truck but I get 14mpg avg and 11 towing my tandem enclosed trailer @ 7-8000 lbs. I could have gone eco for better empty mileage and lower towing mileage but I like my choice. I would guess the XD would push me to around 20 empty and 14 towing but that's just a guess.

I miss the days where a heavy half or even 3/4 ton truck was the same size of a 1/2 ton but beefier. Fun times for truck people :)

·
23 Posts
If I were to bet, Nissan wont offer a 5.5' bed with the XD Diesel package, at least not for a while. Maybe if the market demands it and if sales seem to justify it. They are already having to go with a beefed up frame to handle the Cummins and I bet a shorter frame would reduce the towing capacity.

Cost is a big issue with auto mfgrs. The more they can use part continuity from one to another, the more they can keep cost down. Having two heavy duty frame lengths for the XD diesel version and having two light duty frame lengths for the gasser versions (along with different engine, body/bed, and trim level pkgs) may be asking too much of a company that barley even has a share of the market.

I hope you get your wish. You're right, this truck is intended for that in between market and as of now, I cant think of anyone who makes a diesel with a 5.5' bed. Maybe there are a lot more folks like you out there who are willing to buy one and maybe there is a reason no one makes a short bed diesel. Time will tell.
Pretty sure Nissan announced non-xd will have the ultra short bed. XD only 6.5 foot I believe I read. I would be shocked if they had a diesel ultra short bed. Shorter bed and wheelbase is not good for towing at all, at least at the upper end of the ratings imho, and 5th wheel not possible with that either.

·
658 Posts
Pretty sure Nissan announced non-xd will have the ultra short bed. XD only 6.5 foot I believe I read. I would be shocked if they had a diesel ultra short bed. Shorter bed and wheelbase is not good for towing at all, at least at the upper end of the ratings imho, and 5th wheel not possible with that either.
Exactly my thought process

·
5 Posts
Just look at the wheelbase. 151"

Fords (sorry Ford guy here) are 145" for the crew short bed and 157" for the 6.5 ft bed.

The Titan XD will be right in the middle.

I believe Titan with the previous 7ft bed was 159" wheelbase wise. Not a Nissan guy so not 100% sure.

Not sure why the XD would be a shorter bed and wheel base than previous Titans but they are trying to shoot for a shorter wheelbase than current HD trucks.

So it will turn and park easier than 3/4 ton trucks per their release. Not sure the 5.5 ft bed is needed.

If you are looking for a short wheelbase truck that can't tow a fifth wheel or gooseneck bit want a diesel then the Ram EcoDiesel is what you are looking for in this case.

If you want a half ton to tow a light gooseneck/fifth wheel then the XD will be your truck of choice with a shorter wheelbase and better turning radius with better MPG than a HD diesel.

Different tools for different jobs. Chose what is right for you.

·
313 Posts
An F150 with 6.5' bed and short ("super", but not full crew) cab with a wheel base around 145" is what we have now and is perfect for our needs.

60% of the time it's tow truck, and although a longer wheelbase might make for a smoother ride, I prefer the manoeuvrability of a shorter wheelbase truck, especially when backing the trailer into tight campsites, and when looking for parking spots when not towing.

Hoping the Titan XD comes in a shorter wheelbase than the full crew's. Would even consider a Reg Cab if necessary.

And the RAM EcoDiesel doesn't have enough payload to tow that much, especially a 5th wheel.

·
658 Posts
An F150 with 6.5' bed and short ("super", but not full crew) cab with a wheel base around 145" is what we have now and is perfect for our needs.

60% of the time it's tow truck, and although a longer wheelbase might make for a smoother ride, I prefer the manoeuvrability of a shorter wheelbase truck, especially when backing the trailer into tight campsites, and when looking for parking spots when not towing.

Hoping the Titan XD comes in a shorter wheelbase than the full crew's. Would even consider a Reg Cab if necessary.

And the RAM EcoDiesel doesn't have enough payload to tow that much, especially a 5th wheel.
Speculation and hope are fine, but I think we already know the answer based on the fact that they are putting in an integrated gooseneck in the Titan XD (emphasis on the XD part) and will be standard equipment on some trim levels. There is NO WAY they would put a gooseneck in a 5.5' bed (not enough room to clear the cab without an extender).

Now, like I said earlier.... The non XD gasser version, I would expect to see a 5.5' bed.

·
313 Posts
But is the Crew Cab going to be the only Cab option with Cummins?
A shorter cab with a 6.5' bed (and goose neck or whatever) also gives a shorter wheelbase.

·
658 Posts
But is the Crew Cab going to be the only Cab option with Cummins?
A shorter cab with a 6.5' bed (and goose neck or whatever) also gives a shorter wheelbase.
I doubt it. So as wheelbase is concerned, you're right, it very well could be a shorter wheel base. I was merely referring to the 5.5' bed length when couples with the Cummins in the XD version.

I found this, although it doesn't specify XD vs non-XD

"Another big change for 2016 Nissan Titan lineup is the fact there will be three different cab configurations: single cab (normally called a regular cab), King Cab (or extended cab) and crew cab (four full-size doors). To go along with these cab lengths, the new Titan lineup will have three bed lengths: 5.5 feet (available on crew only), 6.5 feet (King and crew) and 8 feet (single and King). This will likely mean Nissan will need three different wheelbases (compared to just one now) to accommodate the configurations. The Titan XD models we saw at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit only had 6.5-foot-bed crew cabs, which sit on a 151.6-inch wheelbase; that's a length and configuration Titan never offered before"

located here: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/01/2016-nissan-titan-xd-the-packages.html

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nissan would be making a mistake in my opinion not offering a crew/5.5/XD for people like me who would move away from a 1/2 ton to a "in-betweener" with solid diesel power plant for bumper hitch towing. The frame could be shared with the super cab 6.5' bed truck or regular cab 8' bed truck.

If they only offer the XD with the longer frame, then they are on a collision course with HD truck buyers who are some of the most loyal there are. They will also be putting a 550 ft-lb cummins up again Dodge with a 800 ft-lb cummins or power stroke or Isuzu.

All arguing aside about what is required for goose-necks (which I don't disagree with)...Nissan talks about the in-between space that is left unserviced. I hope they know what that white space actually is. Shaving 4 inches off a super duty will be a shoot and a miss from my point of view.

Time will tell...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts