Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite the fact that I really don't need a truck I have always wanted one and do like the XD. Test drove a Cummins Pro-4X however it was early-on without the BLIS, etc. so did not buy it since those features are important to me.

At this point I would wait for the 2017 models when the Titan would also be available. If I were to opt for an XD, can anyone think of any reason why I should choose the diesel when most of the time it would be used to commute to work (45 mi RT) towing only my computer and gym bag? I do take several long camping/hiking trips and have a history of staying current with all maintenance however it does appear maintaining a diesel is far more involved than a gasser...

·
1,979 Posts
You definitely DON'T need a Diesel & to be honest you might want to wait for the regular Titan to come out next year, it's just a smaller version of the XD.

·
207 Posts
I was in the same position, and it took me awhile (and several test drives) as well as this forum to come to a decision on Diesel vs. Gas. So, props again to all the members, personal accounts, opinions, etc.

For me, I'll typically be towing ~3k (ATV's on trailer) throughout the year. I also have a 28ft camper that weighs in ~7k (+ bed full of gear, etc.), but I typically only tow it within a few hundred miles, 4-5 times a year, with the other trips being 20-30 miles 8-10 times a year. Aside from that, it will be more city driving (thanks to stop/go traffic). Therefore, the Diesel wouldn't give me any true advantage. While I could wait for a half ton, I'd be pushing the recommended tow limits, and w/ my family I prefer to stay on the cautious/safe side, and a heavier truck makes for a better experience. End result...going after a Gas Pro4X.

Reactions: digitalbliss

·
31 Posts
To each there own. I went with the diesel for the longevity, power advancement potential, and unknown future uses, plus a turbo diesel is fun to drive Imo. I plan on having the truck at least 8-10 years (maybe longer if this is as good a truck as it has been) and want to make sure my truck can do all the truck stuff, without hassle, I might need it for within that time.

·
1,979 Posts
To each there own. I went with the diesel for the longevity, power advancement potential, and unknown future uses, plus a turbo diesel is fun to drive Imo. I plan on having the truck at least 8-10 years (maybe longer if this is as good a truck as it has been) and want to make sure my truck can do all the truck stuff, without hassle, I might need it for within that time.
Unless you plan on doing a full delete don't necessarily bank on the "diesel longevity" of the yesteryear To be honest everything on the newer diesels has made them a lot more troublesome than Gassers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting diesels are junk but unless someone is dragging around a lot of weight on a daily basis, a diesel won't be the best option. Especially in the case of the gasser xd which has already been shown to pull better or just as good as the Diesel.

·
31 Posts
Florida, so don't get checked on emissions. Do plan on full delete eventually. Also that tfl tow comparison is a joke at best. Yes the diesel only barely beat the gas but the stock engine worked less doing it (lower rpms) and put 12k behind both and start while stopped on a hill then let's see....way more potential and again, more fun to drive. Bean a ditself mechanic for 14 years and trust me, they are built to last much longer- mainly because they have to be based on design.

·
658 Posts
Florida, so don't get checked on emissions. Do plan on full delete eventually. Also that tfl tow comparison is a joke at best. Yes the diesel only barely beat the gas but the stock engine worked less doing it (lower rpms) and put 12k behind both and start while stopped on a hill then let's see....way more potential and again, more fun to drive. Bean a ditself mechanic for 14 years and trust me, they are built to last much longer- mainly because they have to be based on design.
You got that backwards, the gas beat the diesel....

·
94 Posts
Fellow NJ Titan Lover and Owner here.

I bought the Pro4x Diesel fully loaded without the BSM and to be honest I was bummed the feature didnt exist, but at the same time, the truck has very good mirrors and an extremely handy 360 view camera system. I would obviously prefer if it had the feature, but I am not as disappointed as I thought I would be without it.

I opted for the diesel because I simply always wanted one. I have a few ATVS and Quads, I drive frequently on the turnpike and GSP, and the sound and look of a Cummins engine to me was something I always wanted to call my own. While the diesel might run some higher maintenance costs, and may have issues since is a fairly new engine, I know I am happier with this engine every time I press the button to turn the beast on. Its a beautiful truck that turns heads and makes you feel like you have balls of titanium.

Either way its your call but I can tell you you will not be disappointed with the Cummins.

·
31 Posts
You got that backwards, the gas beat the diesel....
Haven't seen it in a little while, was it the gas that won the time and had slightly worse fuel mileage? The gas would seem as a faster one, either way, it's a moot point. I'm saying why I prefer diesel. Again, to each their own but experiences and opinions from others always help.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really appreciate all the candid feedback - since I do plan to wait for the 2017's (current driving a 2012 Xterra Pro-4x manual trans...which I LOVE) I still have plenty of time to think about it. In any event I'll let you all know what I decide...

·
207 Posts
Had an XTerra as well and loved it, family just outgrew it and then I moved on to my 06 Titan.

As others have said here, it's ultimately your decision on what you need, want, etc. I WANTED a diesel, but couldn't justify the additional cost/expense for what I'll be using it for, so went with the Gas. If I or the family decides we want to upgrade our camper, I'll prob go for the diesel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts