Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Originally, it was estimated that the combined city/hwy fuel economy for the Titan XD was at 22.7mpg but reports from various publications suggests that the real world number is closer to 17.7mpg combined.

Motor Trend has recently published the real world fuel economy numbers of a production model powered by a 310hp Cummins 5.0-liter V8 turbo diesel engine and according to forum member Tiger7, a third party called IntelliChoice was employed to run the test.

The Titan XD fuel economy results will give buyers an idea of what to expect when driving around a truck with a gross vehicle weight of 8,500 pounds.

City: 15.8 mpg (14.9 l/100 km)
Highway: 20.8 mpg (11.3 l/100 km)
Combined: 7.7 mpg (13.3 l/100 km)

It was not mentioned in any of the publications if this was with a maximum payload of 2,000 lbs (907 kg) or if the Titan XD was towing something near its maximum towing rating of more than 12,000 lbs (5,443 kg).

Is the Titan XD’s preliminary fuel economy above or below your expectations? Speaking of expectations, what are you guys expecting the fuel economy will be once the XD is saddled with more weight?

·
608 Posts
This is a bit below what I thought. I was thinking it would be closer to 20 mpg combined, maybe 19. So close, but on the lower side of what I was expecting.

·
94 Posts
Logic tells me that this is going to have to be taken with a grain of salt. I for one wont accept any efficiency numbers prior to the end of the embargo as anything more than speculation.

·
29 Posts

It was not mentioned in any of the publications if this was with a maximum payload of 2,000 lbs (907 kg) or if the Titan XD was towing something near its maximum towing rating of more than 12,000 lbs (5,443 kg).

:) would be nice if these were numbers with 12k behind it:)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

:) would be nice if these were numbers with 12k behind it:)
OK now your dreaming ;)

Reactions: pyro404 and bugz202

·
235 Posts
I think these numbers came about with an unloaded XD. Maybe we'll see more numbers from motortrend with the XD loaded with something of substantial weight even if it's not the maximum load.

·
857 Posts
I think these numbers came about with an unloaded XD. Maybe we'll see more numbers from motortrend with the XD loaded with something of substantial weight even if it's not the maximum load.
I'll be interested in towing reviews that state what it's like and that in comparison to data already out and to be out.

·
608 Posts
This is the only thing that Nissan has said about the fuel economy of the engine. Does this 17.7 figure match up?

"Since the majority of full-size pickup owners drive more than 10,000 miles a year, fuel economy is also critical. TITAN XD's Cummins diesel is expected to provide a projected 20 percent better fuel economy* than a gasoline-powered V8 while towing full loads," said Diaz. Actual mileage figures are not yet available.

·
573 Posts
I was a bit alarmed when they said 20% mpg increase in towing. That is nothing. Diesels have always done much better than gas engines towing. If the diesel gets 20% better while loaded, then it is 0-5% better or even worse while unloaded.

·
14 Posts
Nissan must know of the MPG report that's out.. I'd think that if the actual numbers were better, they'd release them to crush the rumors.. Then again I know nothing of marketing, so I'm hoping they have a nice surprise up their sleeve. Any reason why they wouldn't release the numbers? I'm trying to hold onto some optimism, but...

·
658 Posts
It's still a sizable gap. The XD would need an additional 11% mpg improvement to equal the 4x4 crew cap Ram ED.

21.6 hwy isn't too bad for a 4x4 crew cab XD but we don't know that. We only have a week or so till more specific info is release.
11% gap in fuel economy for a 50%+ gap in tow capacity? I'll take it!

·
573 Posts
LOL that instagram pic couldnt possibly be anymore useless. All we know it was highway and not far off what MT is showing for highway. You know you are a fanatic when you dismis MTs controlled calculations but then get excited when joeblow manages to get a descent number with no testing info.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts