Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Titan has been at the very bottom of truck sales for quite a while, so when Nissan decided to really invest in the model and give it a fighting chance, they smartly decided to make the Titan XD something that was different from all its competitors.

The Titan XD is more capable than trucks like the F-150, Silverado/Sierra 1500, and Ram 1500. However it isn't as heavy-duty as trucks like the F-250, Silverado 2500, and others in that category.

It is a smart strategy to be sure. Customers are able to get more capability than what most other brands are offering at the half-ton level, but they won't have to shell out the same premium in order to do so.

When it comes to classification, the Titan XD is classified as a Class 2B Truck. For comparison, the F-150 is a Class 2A Truck. So what does this change in classification mean for you?

A Class 2B Truck does not need to have its fuel economy validated by the EPA, which may make people breath a little easier given the recent increased scrutiny of diesel powered vehicles. This class of truck also requires you to register it as a commercial vehicle in any state that requires 2500-sized trucks to do so.

Is this what has attracted many of you to the Titan XD?

·
56 Posts
I was attracted to the concept but the numbers are a bit of a let down to me. It has none of the positives of a heavy half (like my current f150 6.2L max tow) compared to a 3/4 ton but most of the negatives of a 3/4 ton. I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy but this truck is heavier than my current truck, longer than my current truck, but rated nearly the same. It will beat my truck on mpg (loaded or empty) but that is not enough of a reason for me to trade.

When my truck wears out then I will look at it again but as it stands, I would only go with the hassle of diesel if my tow ratings went up significantly. I wish Nissan good luck with this truck.

·
492 Posts
I'm still waiting for "real world" numbers for mpg before I decide. I thought that the truck would be a little bit lighter.
It would certainly meet my towing needs, but I am not sure if I want to give up the sporty feel of my current Titan.
I won't be choosing a new truck for a couple of years, so I will keep my fingers crossed. There will be much more information about both Titan models by then.
The XD will be the perfect truck for some but not for others.
People who have been waiting for the XD have voiced their disappointment with the design, because it isn't what they hoped for. If the XD doesn't suit my wants and needs, I wont bad-mouth Nissan, I will just find what suits me best. I hope it is a Nissan, because I have enjoyed my Titan a lot.
YMMV

·
857 Posts
I'm still waiting for "real world" numbers for mpg before I decide. I thought that the truck would be a little bit lighter.
It would certainly meet my towing needs, but I am not sure if I want to give up the sporty feel of my current Titan.
I won't be choosing a new truck for a couple of years, so I will keep my fingers crossed. There will be much more information about both Titan models by then.
The XD will be the perfect truck for some but not for others.
People who have been waiting for the XD have voiced their disappointment with the design, because it isn't what they hoped for. If the XD doesn't suit my wants and needs, I wont bad-mouth Nissan, I will just find what suits me best. I hope it is a Nissan, because I have enjoyed my Titan a lot.
YMMV
I'm starting to think that car/truck makers should start testing for real world numbers since that's really what owners look for, people serious about buying.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read 16 - 18 mpg for fuel economy. --> http://wardsauto.com/diesel/2016-wards-10-best-engines-test-drive-nissan-titan-xd

During Wards 10 Best Engines testing, we drove the Titan XD 785 miles and observed fuel economy between 16 and 18 miles per gallon. During my test drive in Arizona, which included rugged off-roading, I got 13.8 miles per gallon. A truck towing 9,000-lbs. on undulating freeways all day was getting 9.6 miles per gallon, according to the trip computer.

·
51 Posts
My husband had a chance to talk to his uncle in Oregon who has been in the business of wholesaling motors in Portland OR. Some of the motors he sells are rebuilds, some are factory but he's owned this business for over 30 years. If we ever want to know anything regarding motors, he's our go-to bank of knowledge. What we wanted to know from him were his thoughts about this new Titan and if he thought it is a good idea to purchase it on it's first year out or if we should be looking at a different truck. His response was "Buy the Cummins." He said the only Cummins engine he ever knew of that had any problems was a larger Cummins that came out in 1999 -2000 and it had a block built in Brazil that did have some problems. Other than that though, they are outstanding quality motors that last and last. He was asked about the Ram Hemi and he said that he's been seeing a whole lot of them coming to him with broken 7th or 8th pistons. Apparently it's always the same two that break and he thinks it's a defect so he said to stay away from the Ram. He also said don't even consider a Chevy (I wasn't anyway), they've had consistent bad problems but he didn't go into specifics but it sounded like it could be several issues. He did say the gas 5.0 F150 is fine and he said he wasn't familiar enough with the Ecoboost to give a good opinion on it. He also said he does like Nissan, he was trading in his wife's Honda passenger car for a Nissan too but he didn't say what model. We've purchased a couple of motors from him in the past and I really think he knows motors very well, I really trust his opinion so hopefully I like the feel of this Titan when I test drive it.

·
313 Posts
FYI, I read somewhere that the Cummins 5L CGI block is made in Brazil and the Al Alloy heads are made in Mexico.

Seems Brazil has a corner on Compacted Graphite Iron casting for various engines. Haven't heard anything negative about them.

·
51 Posts
FYI, I read somewhere that the Cummins 5L CGI block is made in Brazil and the Al Alloy heads are made in Mexico.

Seems Brazil has a corner on Compacted Graphite Iron casting for various engines. Haven't heard anything negative about them.
At least it does sound like they've worked out some of the issues with those blocks now, 15 years down the road. I really liked reading about the other Cummins owners that have over 600,000 miles on their truck engines too. Sounds like there is a very good reason that Cummins is so respected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts