Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nissan Titan XD has been short listed for the North American Truck of the Year award. Finalists will be announced on December 8th with the winners announced on January 11th at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Here is the full list of nominees in both the truck and car categories.

North American Car of the Year Short List:

BMW 7 Series

Cadillac CT6

Chevrolet Camaro

Chevrolet Malibu

Chevrolet Volt

Honda Civic

Kia Optima

Mazda MX-5 Miata

Nissan Maxima

Toyota Prius

North American Truck/Utility of the Year Short List:

Ford Edge

Honda HR-V

Honda Pilot

Hyundai Tucson

Jeep Renegade

Kia Sorento

Lexus RX

Mazda CX-3

Nissan Titan XD

Tesla Model X

Toyota Tacoma

Volvo XC90

Do you think the Titan could win? Anything you are more or less surprised to see on the list?

·
31 Posts
Considering the list, the Titan XD is the only real standout.
LOL, I guess nothing really stands out about the Tesla Model X.

I'm surprised that they can poll for vehicles of the year when a bunch aren't even commercially available.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
LOL, I guess nothing really stands out about the Tesla Model X.

I'm surprised that they can poll for vehicles of the year when a bunch aren't even commercially available.
To me the model X doesn't really stand out. Sure it has falcon doors but I watched the release of it and it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Musk tried to make a big deal about how much more accessible the third row was, with motorized seats that moved forward. The falcon doors offered no benifit there. The front doors are conventional so in tight parking like the demonstration, you'd have to get in the back and climb into the front. So I guess the real innovation is only having to climb over the console instead of two rows of seats.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me the model X doesn't really stand out. Sure it has falcon doors but I watched the release of it and it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Musk tried to make a big deal about how much more accessible the third row was, with motorized seats that moved forward. The falcon doors offered no benifit there. The front doors are conventional so in tight parking like the demonstration, you'd have to get in the back and climb into the front. So I guess the real innovation is only having to climb over the console instead of two rows of seats.
It is the first all electric SUV. I think that is a pretty big deal. Falcon doors, whatever, but it is bringing an entirely new power train to the industry.

·
31 Posts
it is the first all electric suv. I think that is a pretty big deal. Falcon doors, whatever, but it is bringing an entirely new power train to the industry.
this!

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Model X is super expensive, but other than that being a barrier to mass ownership, it I think its undeniable that the Model X stands out from the bunch as the most innovative. No one else did the electric SUV first, but I guarantee you that many brands will be following behind Tesla.

·
665 Posts
I guess I don't see it that way. The SUV is the natural progression from the sedan and will likely share a number of drivetrain components. There is nothing spectacular or new other than being a different body on EV under pinnings.

·
31 Posts
I guess I don't see it that way. The SUV is the natural progression from the sedan and will likely share a number of drivetrain components. There is nothing spectacular or new other than being a different body on EV under pinnings.
Using that rationale there's not really that much new about the Nissan other than the engine.

·
158 Posts
Oh, you forgot the transmission, rear axle, 14" 4 wheel boost assisted brakes and complete redesign...lol

·
665 Posts
Using that rationale there's not really that much new about the Nissan other than the engine.
I can agree with you to a point. Yes a beefed up frame, completely new to the consumer market engine/tranny combination isn't something that hasn't been done before.

Where the Titan XD stands out is that it's the first real competition to Ford that offers something unique, that no one else currently has. It's a genuine effort to stand out and take up part of the pickup marketshare.

The Model X is not yet going to put a serious dent in the competition because Electric still isn't mainstream. So the Model X has interesting featutes but it doesn't stand out because it is a niche product and not yet(yet!) a legitimate threat to the other luxury brands, but they will be watching.

·
31 Posts
I can agree with you to a point. Yes a beefed up frame, completely new to the consumer market engine/tranny combination isn't something that hasn't been done before.

Where the Titan XD stands out is that it's the first real competition to Ford that offers something unique, that no one else currently has. It's a genuine effort to stand out and take up part of the pickup marketshare.

The Model X is not yet going to put a serious dent in the competition because Electric still isn't mainstream. So the Model X has interesting featutes but it doesn't stand out because it is a niche product and not yet(yet!) a legitimate threat to the other luxury brands, but they will be watching.

The transmission is borrowed from the Ram 3500, axles from the power wagon and the frame modified from the NV. http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1501-five-interesting-things-about-the-2016-nissan-titan-xd/

The first half ton diesel is the Ram 1500.

Still can't see how this is more unique than the first 100% electric SUV.

If you think Telsa's aren't mainstream, drive to LA (I have recently) and see how many Model S' you see on the road. Just a matter of time before the Model X is the same.

·
665 Posts
Actually in the 90's you could get a GM/Chevy 1500 with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel.

The Ram ecodiesel is a hypermilling pickup, not a good work truck.

The Leaf is the best selling EV in the world, if memory serves me correctly they've sold just under 300,000 units since it debuted. I don't know Teslas numbers, but 300,000 units over six years is not mainstream.

I'm not trying to discredit Tesla but fact is fact, they're not mainstream. Sure they are quite visable in large urban areas though. I see plenty of model s's in the GVRD.

The Titan XD needs to sell at least 100,000 units a year to be a genuine success.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts