Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been a Nissan customer for a long time. I've had a 1 pathfinder, 1 Altima with a 3.5, 1 Xterra, 2 Armadas, 2 Titans (currently Pro4X) and 1 infinity QX80 (currently wife's car)

I've liked all of them except for the Xterra.

With all the delays in launching the new XD I think it's given people a lot of time to do a lot more research than maybe they would have done before, leading to some disappointment, myself included.

I've been awaiting the pro-4x version of the XD fully loaded. Speculated so far this truck would cost around $52-55K. With the max towing capacity of 11500 + pounds 310hp 555tq, payload 1750lbs.

I don't know if I'm 100% sold when you compare it with something like a GMC Sierra 2500 HD diesel Denali. I've had more than one dealer quote me a brand new one at slightly under $55k (MSRP $66Kish) I've even seen a few year in 2015 for around 50k with 2k-5k miles.

"For the price" the numbers are far more impressive. (The only thing I'm comparing is price for what you get not in any way comparing the two trucks)
2500HD:
Towing 13,000-14,000lbs, 397hp, 765tq, payload 3760!

For my research you can even get a Dodge 2500 diesel for less than the Denali 2500HD.

Thoughts??

·
658 Posts
So I've been a Nissan customer for a long time. I've had a 1 pathfinder, 1 Altima with a 3.5, 1 Xterra, 2 Armadas, 2 Titans (currently Pro4X) and 1 infinity QX80 (currently wife's car)

With all the delays in launching the new XD I think it's given people a lot of time to do a lot more research than maybe they would have done before, leading to some disappointment, myself included.

I've been awaiting the pro-4x version of the XD fully loaded. Speculated so far this truck would cost around $52-55K. With the max towing capacity of 11500 + pounds 310hp 555tq, payload 1750lbs.

I don't know if I'm 100% sold when you compare it with something like a GMC Sierra 2500 HD diesel Denali. I've had more than one dealer quote me a brand new one at slightly under $55k (MSRP $66Kish) I've even seen a few year in 2015 for around 50k with 2k-5k miles.

"For the price" the numbers are far more impressive. (The only thing I'm comparing is price for what you get not in any way comparing the two trucks)
2500HD:

For my research you can even get a Dodge 2500 diesel for less than the Denali 2500HD.

Thoughts??
I'm pretty much in agreement with you on all of your points here. My first vehicle was an '88 Pathfinder (2-door 4wd) and my most recent truck was an '09 Titan. I used the Titan as my Daily driver and as a weekend warrior for our camper (4,000ish lbs). The Titan was great and I had no complaints (except MPG!!!). My wife and I had our first child, so we sold the camper. We knew we wouldn't get to use it like we would like to for a few years and we had also decided we want to upgrade to a 5th wheel. The '09 Titan just wasn't suited for the job, so I sold it while I could. I've been looking forward to the new XD for exactly this reason. Unfortunately the numbers on this new XD are extremely disappointing to me. It just simply isn't suited for the job I was hoping for. Oh well, you bring up good points in regards to what you can get for the money.

·
42 Posts

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, I would strongly discourage you from getting a Dodge (RAM). I have a 1 year old 1500 with about 24K on it and there's a new rattle every week.

It's well-maintained but I'm not sure that'll be enough.

Consumer Reports also rated the RAM 2500 as the 7th *least* reliable vehicle sold in 2015.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/06/consumer-reports-reliablity-20--worst/75275986/

I agree, my brothers RAM earned the name "Rattle Can". He traded up to a Titan in 08. He loves it, but he doesn't tow more than 3k lbs.

It my be a GMC Sierra 2500HD for me. I'm picking up a 36' TT (7k lbs empty, 8k lbs with water and gear) tomorrow and am honestly worried about pulling it through the WV mountains with my 2012 Pro4X Titan. It will be a 700 mile test. Have a feeling I'll have a new 2500hd by next month.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
FWIW, I would strongly discourage you from getting a Dodge (RAM). I have a 1 year old 1500 with about 24K on it and there's a new rattle every week.

It's well-maintained but I'm not sure that'll be enough.

Consumer Reports also rated the RAM 2500 as the 7th *least* reliable vehicle sold in 2015.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/06/consumer-reports-reliablity-20--worst/75275986/

I agree, my brothers RAM earned the name "Rattle Can". He traded up to a Titan in 08. He loves it, but he doesn't tow more than 3k lbs.

It my be a GMC Sierra 2500HD for me. I'm picking up a 36' TT (7k lbs empty, 8k lbs with water and gear) tomorrow and am honestly worried about pulling it through the WV mountains with my 2012 Pro4X Titan. It will be a 700 mile test. Have a feeling I'll have a new 2500hd by next month.
I guess I can't speak for mountain towing. But towing around some northern regions of Ontario with the 2012 titan I had. With no issues it was a 38' 8500lb travel trailer. I have since gotten rid of both and now tow a 36' 8000lb travel trailer with a 2015 f150. The titan felt more stable with the 38' then the ford does with the 36'. But the new 2.7 feels stronger. Both by far surpass a 2011 ram 1500 Hemi towing the 38'.

·
9 Posts

2500HD:

Thoughts??
You hit the head on the nail. I'd rather have extra power and capabilities even thou I might not need it..if its for the same price !

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/QUOTE]
I guess I can't speak for mountain towing. But towing around some northern regions of Ontario with the 2012 titan I had. With no issues it was a 38' 8500lb travel trailer. I have since gotten rid of both and now tow a 36' 8000lb travel trailer with a 2015 f150. The titan felt more stable with the 38' then the ford does with the 36'. But the new 2.7 feels stronger. Both by far surpass a 2011 ram 1500 Hemi towing the 38'.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's the down hill decent with wet roads that has me concerned. My Titan's 5700lbs vs an 8000k TT is hard on the breaks, and I've had them heat up bad on a few occasions. Engine break would be great and the extra weight and sway control will be a big help considering the grade and number of truckers that use this route.

Another consideration is 2 part, 1st fuel tank size. I filled up 3 times in today to go 700 miles without towing anything doing about 75mph average. Going back with a 8k TT is going to drop me around 7-8mpg if I'm lucky and I'll have to stop 5-6 times to go 700 miles.
I think the real world reports on the 2500HD towing 8k is only 10-13mpg, but tank size helps with the stops.

·
12 Posts

2500HD:

Thoughts??
I think on the GM 2500 HD 4x4 Crew Cabs you'll find the actual payload number maxes out around 2,600 to 2,800 lbs (depending on the exact model). That's still about a 1,000 more pounds than you get with mid-trim XDs.

A few months ago, I bought a 2013 Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax to replace my 2011 Titan Pro-4x King Cab. I needed more towing to pull a new 30 ft. toy hauler and wanted a crew cab. I can say this, you won't ever need more than what the Duramax/Allison combo can deliver for towing 12,000 lbs. My trailer goes about 9,500 lbs loaded and I've pulled grades at 8,000 plus feet elevation and it never struggles.

I'm still fascinated by the XD, but pricing is going to be a sticking point for a lot of people when they can get a comparable 3/4 ton diesel for a few grand more. One other thing to consider is that resale on domestic diesels is amazing if you're in the right part of the country where they're in demand. My '13 is a loaded LTZ, with less than 40,000 miles and is still worth upper $40k's to near $50k here in Utah - it's MSRP was over $60k. Just food for thought...

Given my situation, sometimes I wish I wasn't a Nissan fan at heart and drawn to the XD because of it's uniqueness...

·
7 Posts

2500HD:

Thoughts??
You have captured my sentiments exactly. I have been a fan of Nissan since my first 240z and have owned Sentra, Pathfinder, SEV6 Pickup before settling on a Silverado in 2003 (coincidentally got tired of waiting for the 1st Gen Titan). I am way overdue for a new truck, and am frankly tired of the carrot on the stick routine Nissan has taken with this debut. You have a truck whose arrival to dealers in imminent, and you are playing games releasing the prices??? My white space is turning red.

This truck on paper is tailor made for me. I don't need a 3/4 ton but want something that can handle the abuse I dish out. The Silverado has failed me miserably and at 150k miles I have replaced just about everything, including the transmission twice. A tweener XD Cummins with a bulky trans, big brakes, beefy frame seems like a perfect fit for my needs. If the quality is like my past Nissans, it won't fall apart or bleed me dry on "known issues", recalls and TSB's.

I just bought my wife an Enclave to shuttle the kids around. The salesman had an 2500 HD in Light Steel Gray loaded on lot that really caught my eye. Like a loyal soldier, I told him not interested until I see the Titan. Sticker was $67k and I told him I couldn't justify a truck at that price for my needs. He responded "when you are ready, come back, you 'll be shocked at what we can get you into it for". It's been 4 weeks now......

·
608 Posts
I would say that you should take into consideration that Nissan may also provide significant discounts (incentives) when the truck is at dealerships. But obviously price is something to consider. Where will you get the most value for your dollar.

·
857 Posts
That is true, once the truck is on their property, they'll want to move it as quick as possible giving some way to letting in incentives. Any idea on exactly what those could be?

·
26 Posts
So is there any chance of a SV crew cab at under 50k Canadian? If not than il just stick to my GMC van's :)

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
So is there any chance of a SV crew cab at under 50k Canadian? If not than il just stick to my GMC van's
That is my hope as well. But since it's the SV premium only available at first. I don't think it will be below $50,000. In looking at my fully optioned 2015 f150 xlt sport crew 4x4 2.7 with moonroof and everything it msrp'd at $56000. The sv premium will be similar equipped minus the panoramic roof. But with an expensive diesel. So in reality I don't think the MSRP will be cheaper if anything it will be more as we are talking diesel vs gas. And all the xd heavy duty improvements as well. Now the key will be what type of incentives will nissan have off the hop. As I got almost $12,000 off my all new designed ford.
Also comparing it to the ram ecodiesel when you option out an slt with diesel it creeps above $60,000 but you can get those for $13-$14000 off right now and pretty much all year. But again the xd is a more capable truck. So that should still carry a premium over the ecodiesel.
But nissan has to consider what the others are offering at the xd's launch especially if they want to grab customers.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I've spent the past 2 days towing a 7k lb TT from Ohio to NC. 700 miles is a good test. Gas Mileage Was Bad! 7.2 to 7.7mpg.average 65mph. My buddy's Silverado 2500HD diesel got 12mpg towing 10th lbs average 70mph

Hummmm

Attachments

·
6 Posts
This is turning out to be such a let down. I was considering getting an XD, but the price is starating to seem prohibitively high. The gasser would be a better fit for me anyhow, but it looks like they won't be available until 2017. Nissan has really screwed the pooch with getting this truck to market.

Looks like it's time to start shopping for a silverado

·
31 Posts
Just checked with the local dealer. Now mid January before they get trucks. It was mid December. Salesman mentioned production issues. Not sure whether that meant a problem or just not enough capacity. Headed for the Ford dealer to find out the 2016 F-150 not due until mid February.

·
492 Posts
Just checked with the local dealer. Now mid January before they get trucks. It was mid December. Salesman mentioned production issues. Not sure whether that meant a problem or just not enough capacity. Headed for the Ford dealer to find out the 2016 F-150 not due until mid February.

They just started production yesterday:

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPGNov. 20, 2015

The all-new 2016 Nissan Titan XD.

Nissan began production of its all-new 2016 Nissan Titan XD full-size pickup today at its Canton, Mississippi assembly facility.

·
49 Posts
I drove 3/4 tons from 1999-2006 (Then Hurt my back)and love the **** out of them!!! They where all rated less then what the new Titan is rated for. Last one I owned was a 2004 2500 4x4 Quad cap it was a beast that 5.9 would puul a house down. I always towed more weight then what the truck was rated for.. I never had any issues.. I always had stabilizer hitches and trailer brakes. I also had air right..

The way I see it, I am getting the same performance if not better with the 1/2 ride!!!! Bring on the Titan!!!!!! This truck is going to change my world.. Im so tired of my 2008 Cadillac Escalde. It pulls good has plenty of power (6.2L) it's just falling apart.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts