Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - this is my first post here. I am 95% sure that I would like to purchase a new gas Titan XD, but the only thing that I'm not 100% sure I can live with is the ride quality. Don't get me wrong. For a more than half ton truck that has good payload with the gas engine it rides very well. I didn't used to care about ride quality, but I recently had a nerve surgery on my arm which makes my hand somewhat sensitive to the empty bed bounce you get with heavy duty trucks. I don't fault Nissan for having this. Every non 1/2 ton truck I have driven has it to some degree. Aside from that one issue the truck is perfect - it's exactly what I want.

I test drove both the Platinum Reserve and Pro-4X gas models. Unfortunately the only place to test drive them around here and get up to a decent speed is a concrete freeway. I am pretty sure that the empty bed bounce that both trucks had would be either totally eliminated or much less severe if I were driving on more level asphalt, but I honestly do not know for sure if that is the case. I noticed that the Platinum Reserve had a significantly smoother ride than the Pro-4X. Unfortunately the Pro-4X has a locker and several other options that I really would like to get. This leads me to my first question which is the ride quality difference just down to the shocks, tires and extra weight? The payload on the Platinum Reserve was 350 pounds less than it was on the Pro-4X which leads me to believe that it must weigh that much more. Are there any other technical differences that would affect the ride quality such as spring rates?

The second thing I am wondering is how much this empty bed bounds goes away when something is in the bed. The reason I am purchasing this truck is to put a pop up camper in it. This camper will weigh about 1600 pounds wet. We plan to remove the back seat and tailgate and there will only be two of us which means we should be within the 2100 pound payload limit of the Pro-4X gas - By the way that is the reason why I am not considering the diesel. As much as I love lots of torque the diesel kills the payload. Have any of you guys had your trucks close to payload? If so how did this affect the ride quality?

I really like this truck and I think everyone here has made a great decision going with something that clearly has better build quality than the competition. I just don't want to write a $55,000 check for the truck and a $25,000 check for the camper and have the bouncy ride cause issues for me. I am thinking that when something is in the bed and when we are driving on the typical asphalt highways you drive on in the United States for long trips this probably won't be much of an issue. I am also thinking that I can smooth out the ride of the Pro-4X by changing the shocks to the regular Nissan ones if need be - provided there isn’t a difference in spring rate. Any insight from you guys is greatly appreciated.

On a side note the other thing I am trying to figure out is camper tie downs. It doesn't look like anybody makes any yet, but I did notice that a member here was talking about how he used his slide in camper on his Titan XD. If anybody has any suggestions for front tie downs that would also be greatly helpful. Sorry for the long-winded post I've never been very concise.

·
348 Posts
Yes, the ride is much better on smooth asphalt. When I hook my boat to the truck, (200 lbs. ish) the bounce gone. The truck should handle the slide in nicely. My Pro4X XD rides better than my 04 Titan, gets better mpg, looks a lot better, and the Fosgate system is awesome. Music you can feel.

·
1,265 Posts
I have my truck camper on now....

First, I have a 2010 Palomino Bronco 1251 truck camper. I am using the Brophy tiedowns which are great! I have the Pro4X with the rails along the truck bed sides. The rails on the sides need to come off to attach the Brophy tie downs....

I also added rear air bags. I have another thread on those, with the model I chose. I can tell you that with 25 pounds of air in the bags, my truck is dead level with the truck camper on the back.

My truck has the stock shocks and the ride is firm, no bouncing with the camper on the back.... Also, it doesn't bottom out. If you look up the specs on my truck camper, you will see that I'm moving a fully loaded XD....with no problems. I do have the diesel and that engine doesn't even know the weight is back there.
I'm heading for the beach tomorrow and will be trying the 4x4 capabilities for the first time.... Can't wait!

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both very much for your replies.

WireNut, So you have the gas version and basically you are saying that you do notice the bounce I am talking about when the bed is empty, but when you hook up a trailer with a 200 pound tongue weight the bounce is completely gone? If that is the case I could probably put a steel plate or sand bag or something in the back of the bed. No question this thing comes with an awesome sound system. One of the best factory stereos I've ever heard.

Bikerndiver - Just the guy I wanted to hear from actually. You are the one I saw mention that you were using the truck with a slide in camper. I was looking at the Brophy tie downs. That definitely looks like one of the few universal tie down options for the front of the truck. I know that for the back I can use Happijac bumper buttons or a number of other things. Are you using them for both the front and rear? I am assuming that you're talking about the ones that clamp onto the bed not the ones that go in the stake pockets. Do you have the version with the angled out tabs? It looks like they make two versions of the clamp on ones.

I was concerned about using these because I read that they work better on older trucks where the sheet metal used to be thicker. I read that on a newer truck with thinner bed material you can bend and damage the body panels using these. That said my camper will even be more lightweight than yours, so maybe these comments are more about heavy hardside campers. Let me know how this goes off road. I would love to know if you have any issues at all with bed damage or the mounts when the weight of the camper is shifting around in different directions off road. If you don't have any issues I think it's pretty safe to say that I wouldn't since my camper would be lighter. Have fun at the beach that is exactly what I want to be doing when I get this truck and camper!

When you say that it rides firm you're talking with the camper in place just because the springs are more compressed? Would you say it rides significantly firmer than it does empty?

·
1,265 Posts
Hey guys - this is my first post here. I am 95% sure that I would like to purchase a new gas Titan XD, but the only thing that I'm not 100% sure I can live with is the ride quality. Don't get me wrong. For a more than half ton truck that has good payload with the gas engine it rides very well. I didn't used to care about ride quality, but I recently had a nerve surgery on my arm which makes my hand somewhat sensitive to the empty bed bounce you get with heavy duty trucks. I don't fault Nissan for having this. Every non 1/2 ton truck I have driven has it to some degree. Aside from that one issue the truck is perfect - it's exactly what I want.

I test drove both the Platinum Reserve and Pro-4X gas models. Unfortunately the only place to test drive them around here and get up to a decent speed is a concrete freeway. I am pretty sure that the empty bed bounce that both trucks had would be either totally eliminated or much less severe if I were driving on more level asphalt, but I honestly do not know for sure if that is the case. I noticed that the Platinum Reserve had a significantly smoother ride than the Pro-4X. Unfortunately the Pro-4X has a locker and several other options that I really would like to get. This leads me to my first question which is the ride quality difference just down to the shocks, tires and extra weight? The payload on the Platinum Reserve was 350 pounds less than it was on the Pro-4X which leads me to believe that it must weigh that much more. Are there any other technical differences that would affect the ride quality such as spring rates?

The second thing I am wondering is how much this empty bed bounds goes away when something is in the bed. The reason I am purchasing this truck is to put a pop up camper in it. This camper will weigh about 1600 pounds wet. We plan to remove the back seat and tailgate and there will only be two of us which means we should be within the 2100 pound payload limit of the Pro-4X gas - By the way that is the reason why I am not considering the diesel. As much as I love lots of torque the diesel kills the payload. Have any of you guys had your trucks close to payload? If so how did this affect the ride quality?

I really like this truck and I think everyone here has made a great decision going with something that clearly has better build quality than the competition. I just don't want to write a $55,000 check for the truck and a $25,000 check for the camper and have the bouncy ride cause issues for me. I am thinking that when something is in the bed and when we are driving on the typical asphalt highways you drive on in the United States for long trips this probably won't be much of an issue. I am also thinking that I can smooth out the ride of the Pro-4X by changing the shocks to the regular Nissan ones if need be - provided there isn’t a difference in spring rate. Any insight from you guys is greatly appreciated.

On a side note the other thing I am trying to figure out is camper tie downs. It doesn't look like anybody makes any yet, but I did notice that a member here was talking about how he used his slide in camper on his Titan XD. If anybody has any suggestions for front tie downs that would also be greatly helpful. Sorry for the long-winded post I've never been very concise.[/QUOTE

I'm using the Brophy tie downs front and rear. I was advised NOT to use the bumper buttons on this truck.
There is no bed flex with the Brophy mount. The inner clamp is up high at the double wall.
I'm answering from the beach and i can assure you the camper stays on solid with no sway.
Would I rather have frame mounted tiedowns? Yes...but I'm not going to miss out on camping while the are being developed.

Reactions: hg52

·
35 Posts
Bikerndriver,
What airbags did you install? Were they listed as fitting the Titan XD? I am considering upgrading my 10 - F150 for my camper which really seams to squish the F150. I fear the 2k payload isn't really much of an upgrade only 400lbs and should really be considering a F250 or Ram 2500.

Does the XD handle well when you are fully loaded and do you wish you had more payload?

Considering.... Love my Nissan Xterra

·
1,265 Posts
Bikerndriver,
What airbags did you install? Were they listed as fitting the Titan XD? I am considering upgrading my 10 - F150 for my camper which really seams to squish the F150. I fear the 2k payload isn't really much of an upgrade only 400lbs and should really be considering a F250 or Ram 2500.

Does the XD handle well when you are fully loaded and do you wish you had more payload?

I'm using the Airlift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate. Yes, they are designed for the XD with no holes to drill in order to mount them. My Palomino Bronco truck camper weighs 2,000 pounds loaded (I had it weighed at a certified scale) and the PRO4X never even sagged when I put the camper on....BEFORE I put the airbags on!!! After I put the airbags on, I could raise the bed an get a forward rake with the camper on the truck. I don't run like that, but I could do it if I wanted to.... I use the airbags as a stabilizer to make exit ramps and curvy country roads much "flatter". The truck doesn't have any sway or lean with the airbags.
Tork Lift has now come out with a set of frame mounted tie downs for the XD. I'll be ordering them this week. The Brophy mounts are OK, but I don't like the look of them on the truck...
Hope this helps you! The XD is a MUCH more heavy duty truck than the F-150. Nissan has greatly under rated its capabilities in the spec charts!

·
9 Posts
Have you looked into air ride suspension? The only problem is the Titan is so new and has not sold in any great numbers (yet) so accessory mfrs and the like are a bit reluctant to invest time and resources into a venture that doesn't hold much promise of a return. But you never know, there may be existing air ride kits that could be adapted and I'm sure an expert installer would be able to sort out your suspension for whatever type of ride you desire and for whatever load you intend to carry.

·
167 Posts
squatting of the rear has nothing to do with payload. Fords tend to squat alot for the listed payloads and most people that carry campers or even a cooler full of beer with f150's require airbags. I would suspect the squat on the xd is more similar to 3/4 ton ford or ram. payload is related to axle capacities, brakes, power etc in addition to spring capacity. at 1000lbs payload, there isn't much squatting in xd. Pickuptrucks.com did a comparison of squatting in the 2016 shootout if you want to see the difference between and xd and reg half ton.

Bikerndriver,

·
1,265 Posts
In my humble opinion, payload is the only factor that affects squatting. If there is no payload, there is no squat, or, if there is, you are carrying way too much air in your truck bed....move to a higher altitude.

However, I can only speak from my experience, I have a 2,000 pound truck camper in the bed of my Titan XD Pro4X diesel and w/o the airbags, the truck rides level. The Airlift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate air bags just make the truck corner smoother....also less bounce too if you go over a severe bump at highway speeds. I now have 20k miles on my truck and about half of that is with the camper on it. Without question, the Pro4X can handle a truck camper in the 2,000 pound range and do it happily! This truck has muscle to spare....

Torklift now has frame mounts for the Titan XD. I did order mine and expect they will be in this week.

·
167 Posts
In my humble opinion, payload is the only factor that affects squatting. If there is no payload, there is no squat, or, if there is, you are carrying way too much air in your truck bed....move to a higher altitude.

However, I can only speak from my experience, I have a 2,000 pound truck camper in the bed of my Titan XD Pro4X diesel and w/o the airbags, the truck rides level. The Airlift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate air bags just make the truck corner smoother....also less bounce too if you go over a severe bump at highway speeds. I now have 20k miles on my truck and about half of that is with the camper on it. Without question, the Pro4X can handle a truck camper in the 2,000 pound range and do it happily! This truck has muscle to spare....

Torklift now has frame mounts for the Titan XD. I did order mine and expect they will be in this week.
Well right you are, I meant to say payload rating. thanks for the correction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts