Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wards Auto names the 10 best engines each year and before it does that it has to test a bunch of engines out. So Wards has tested out the Titan XD's 5.0L Cummins diesel V-8.

After taking it out in Arizona, off-road, hauling 800 lbs. of cargo and towing 9,000 lbs. on hilly freeways at 70 miles per hour, Wards described the engine as:

supremely capable, allowing the Titan XD to go anywhere and do anything. There’s no mistaking this engine as anything but a diesel, especially at idle, but it quiets down on the highway.
Nissan will not have to report fuel economy because of the classification of the Titan XD, but Wards observed fuel economy between 16 and 18 miles per gallon. When towing 9,000 lbs. through hilly terrain the fuel economy was measured at 9.6 mpg.

Read the full article and watch the video here --> http://wardsauto.com/diesel/2016-wards-10-best-engines-test-drive-nissan-titan-xd

·
857 Posts
That mileage while towing doesn't seem too bad to me. But seriously can't wait for the days that we have hybrid and even electric trucks since the range from that electric power seems to be what will last longer.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think that this engine will make the list, or the top of the list? Any other engines you think are the biggest competition?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Do you think that this engine will make the list, or the top of the list? Any other engines you think are the biggest competition?
I don't think there is currently any other diesel engine that holds a candle to the ISV, save maybe the Audi V12 TDI and I'm sure that engine is never going to come to North America.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a little excerpt form the article that gives an overview of the criteria and the winners.

Now in its 22nd year, the competition recognizes outstanding engines and electrified propulsion systems, as well as the technology and engineering behind them.

The Class of 2016:

3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 340i)
3.6L DOHC V-6 (Chevrolet Camaro/Cadillac ATS)
1.5L DOHC 4-cyl./120-kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt EREV)
5.2L DOHC V-8 (Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang)
2.0L DOHC 4-cyl./50-kW Drive Motor (Hyundai Sonata PHEV)
3.5L DOHC V-6 (Nissan Maxima)
3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. Boxer (Subaru WRX)
1.8L DOHC 4-cyl./53-kW Drive Motor (Toyota Prius HEV)
2.0L Turbo/Supercharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo XC90)
“This is a list that’s loaded with innovation, from hybrids to muscle cars,” says Drew Winter, director-content at WardsAuto. “We have three groundbreaking electrified drivetrains for the first time ever, each representing a different technology: the gas-electric Prius hybrid, the plug-in hybrid Sonata and the extended-range electric Volt.”

WardsAuto editors selected the winners after spending October and November studying and driving all 31 nominees. There is no instrumented testing – only everyday driving to and from home, work, school, the grocery store and grandma’s house.

Editors score each engine based on horsepower, torque, comparative specs, noise attenuation, fuel economy and the application of new technology. The guiding principles: Does the engine or electric propulsion system truly sell the car or raise the bar for its competitive set?
And on the Ram EcoDiesel and Titan XD category specifically:

Volkswagen may have polluted the diesel waters by rigging emissions, but Fiat Chrysler executives say demand for the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, with its 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm) of trailer-ready torque, remains robust.

We understand why. Two other diesels in pickup trucks were evaluated this year, but WardsAuto editors remain convinced FCA’s Italian-built 3.0L V-6 remains the gold standard for refinement and fuel efficiency in the world of light-duty trucks. Hitch a sizable trailer on the back, and this engine barely breaks a sweat.

Ten days of testing yielded observed fuel economy approaching 24 mpg (9.8 L/100 km). Nothing wrong with that.

One editor writes on his scoresheet: “Ram engineers have done such a stellar job of integrating this powertrain that most people wouldn’t guess there’s a diesel under the hood.”
http://wardsauto.com/engines/electrics-charge-10-best-engines-list?page=1

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Perhaps after the tuners show what the ISV is capable of they'll change their tune.

See what I did there?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts