Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
What a fantastic sounding engine. I know I've said that many times, but every video it just sounds better and better.

·
36 Posts
In my opinion it is pretty much a useless truck for fifth wheels. Seriously, who is going to be hauling just 3 four wheelers and som cinder blocks on their gooseneck, and then just two guys inside. Huge disappointment. I don't see why they bothered with the fifth wheel at those capacities, but thats just me.

·
124 Posts
I have a feeling Nissan underated the true tow capacity and will bump it up after first years sales. The XD pulled that weight up a 7% grade without a struggle. Compare that to the RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi pulling 12,500lb. up the same grade. It could barely maintain 30mph and took well over 11 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWhXy_ciuM

·
570 Posts
@redtitan - If they bump their tow capacity, they need to bump their GVWR otherwise it is useless.

According to the RPM calculator, it was in 3rd gear when going 3100 rpm at 60 mph with 33" tires. The truck would approach redline at 50 mph in 2nd gear.
This truck was right where I expected it - a little faster than the ED while pulling a bit more weight.

·
492 Posts
Since they didn't mention it, I wonder if they were in Tow Mode and using the transmission braking properly on the downhill portion.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets talk about numbers on the ike gauntlet towing trucks so far... this truck will be hard to justify:serious:

2016 Titan xd 8.44 sec up. 3.9 mpg. 10,700 lbs

2014 Ford f150 3.5 ecoboost. 7:36 sec up. 2.9 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 chevy silverado 6,2l. 8.26 sec up. 3,4 mpg. 10,800 lbs

2014 nissan titan 5.7l. 9.08 sec up. 2.8 mpg. 10,800 lbs

·
19 Posts
Lets talk about numbers on the ike gauntlet towing trucks so far... this truck will be hard to justify:serious:

I think it will be more the ones like me that want the half ton ride and diesel power band and don't tow heavy but like a bass boat and still get better ride than the 3/4 ton. Especially if you lift it and put 35s or 37s under it. But I am going to have to test drive one and decide. I was really expecting mpg empty to be about 24 on hyw and 18 city but seems what I read it is more 20 hyw and only 16 city range. Probably overall average mixed 17. I was hoping ave mixed 21. I don't know!!

·
665 Posts
I don't see the problem. The Titan XD went up the hill with a good time, not great but good, but clearly the lowest fuel consumption of the group you've compared.

·
42 Posts
So this is ok but not great for the truck. It could pull but how about its actual capabilities.

Does anyone think they will increase the towing next year?

Also what would last longer the ram diesel 2500 or titan xd

·
169 Posts
How do you quantify "last longer"?

Because one would assume the Ram and the XD would have similar life cycles.

There's no way to answer that, it's impossible.

·
119 Posts
So this is ok but not great for the truck. It could pull but how about its actual capabilities.

Don't know about the "new" ram Cummins, but I'm on my third 5.9L (99, 03, and now 05) and the first two went over 250K, the only problem with Cummins engines so far is they are surrounded by Dodge, THAT'S what wears out!

·
665 Posts
In one of the promotional videos produced by Nissan they said they were testing the Titan XD for the equivalent of 600,000km of lifespan.

·
190 Posts

Don't know about the "new" ram Cummins, but I'm on my third 5.9L (99, 03, and now 05) and the first two went over 250K, the only problem with Cummins engines so far is they are surrounded by Dodge, THAT'S what wears out!
is 250 really that impressive for a long lasting diesel? my 07 titan is nearly there.

and it hasn't rusted away. lol

·
214 Posts
There's at least one thing missing from these evaluation... What about driver fatigue?

I don't care about mpg while pulling 11k up a 7% grade, all I want to know is which truck will pull around 5k for 12h and won't leave me dead-on-arrival?

My FJ can easily tow my caravan (3k), mecanically no problem, but comfort wise! I'm dead after driving 3h; cabine noise, suspension, seating and range anxiety (72L tank!)...

Don't ear me wrong, it's an awesome vehicule for driving loaded on gravel roads for days on out, but on the highway with a load attach... Not so much...

That's why I'd like to know about how it handles with a moderate load? Could one do multiple 12h day runs in a row with a Pro-4X?

·
36 Posts

So, really that is pretty sad that the Ecoboost pulled 100 more pounds over a minute faster. That is small GAS engine. There really shouldn't be any reason the iceboats pulled up the hill that much faster. I dive through big rolling hills often and I don't like the results of the test. The Truck needs to be able to hold itself back when going down and at the bottom needs to be able to start working to get me back up the next hill. I really expected it to have the 12,000 bumper tow capacity, but really thought it would have more like 14-15,000 gooseneck.

·
19 Posts
There's at least one thing missing from these evaluation... What about driver fatigue?

I don't care about mpg while pulling 11k up a 7% grade, all I want to know is which truck will pull around 5k for 12h and won't leave me dead-on-arrival?

My FJ can easily tow my caravan (3k), mecanically no problem, but comfort wise! I'm dead after driving 3h; cabine noise, suspension, seating and range anxiety (72L tank!)...

Don't ear me wrong, it's an awesome vehicule for driving loaded on gravel roads for days on out, but on the highway with a load attach... Not so much...

That's why I'd like to know about how it handles with a moderate load? Could one do multiple 12h day runs in a row with a Pro-4X?

I agree. I just bought a 2016 Tacoma which I love but it is not working for me for over 2 hours in seat I am hurting. I love it for trail running and running in city but unless I have 2 trucks(cant do that) I am switching. I have a buyer lined up to pick it up in couple weeks from me and hopefully dealer will get new Titan in this week to test drive. Most I will tow is 5k and really after what you said. I want to drive 4 to 6 hours or more comfortably on me and the wife. From what I read anyway it says it has the most comfortable seats. That is huge to me right now. Plus of course price too.

·
12 Posts
I'm very disappointed. I've been watching TFL for years now and I have to say, the Titan XD was not a good showing up the Ike. This makes me lean even further toward the Ram :(

Reactions: Frost
1 - 20 of 41 Posts