Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new XD owner. I've owned two Frontiers before my diesel XD. I bought the truck 1.5 months ago and the transmission hasn't been right since I bought it.

The truck was an owner demo - the owner of the dealership drove it for the first 4,500 miles. I test drove a different XD and then they offered this demo XD at a great price. I remarked during that test drive of the demo truck that the transmission shifted hard (much different than the other XD I test drove), but of course I expected them to make it right (my dealership has always been very good to me).

I took the truck in for a regen issue and the hard shifting issue 800 miles ago. They "flashed" the transmission and the shifting actually got worse. The shifts from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 are "okay" but 4-5 is very hard and the whole truck shakes or "thunks." I took the mechanic out to show him and he could feel what I was describing.

I went to pick up the truck yesterday and the mechanic gave me the following explanation. He spoke with the Nissan tech line and they said it could take up to 1500 miles after a flash for the transmission to reprogram itself. It gets better. I am supposed to drive at "highway" speeds (though those speeds were not actually spelled out. 60? 65? 80?) to warm up the transmission. At a certain temperature (175??) the transmission will enter learn mode. From what the mechanic could understand from the tech line, the transmission will exit the learn mode if it cools down (hence the possible 1500 miles to learn??).

Here is where it just doesn't pass the smell test with me. How is a transmission supposed to "learn" shift points if you're driving 70 down the highway? My problem is mostly between 4-5. Am I supposed to back up highway traffic while I make the transmission shift between all the gears? Also, I drive about 30 miles in one direction twice a day. 20 miles of that drive is at 60 and then 70 mph. Then there is some "in town" driving for the last 10 miles. I've been doing that since I've owned the truck and definitely since they flashed the transmission. Wouldn't you think the transmission has "learned" enough??

This is very, very frustrating for me. I have an extremely busy schedule with long hours and it is difficult to drop the truck off at the dealership. They are good enough to give me a rental. I have no reason to believe the diesel mechanic is trying to BS me. He said as soon as I hit 1500 miles post flash, bring it back and he will call the tech line again. Until then he says Nissan won't do anything else to help him.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I love the truck, the trim line, and so forth, but I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Mark

·
65 Posts
I don't have the Cummins. But I just had mine at the dealership for my transmission which is not the same for the Cummins. But while I was there they pulled up all they could. The Tech was telling me and showing me a lot of information in the Cummins for various issues and many were from transmission problems. To many for me to recite. But the gave me a loaner Cummins to drive while mine was there I had the loaner for 2 days. It was an SV when I left the lot it felt like it had the emergency brake on the truck slammed into **** near every gear the trans brake was jolting me forward and made some noises I wouldn't want to hear. But while in the highway it was a dream. I feel your pain and it's not going to be easy getting the issue resolved but for Nissan and Titan xd Cummins. It's going to an up hill battle if they don't act fast on many of these problems. Something else I noticed that the platinum reserve Cummins for some reason seems rather refined kinda like they tuned the tranny differently that's just my take after test driving it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
918 Posts
I am a new XD owner. I've owned two Frontiers before my diesel XD. I bought the truck 1.5 months ago and the transmission hasn't been right since I bought it.

The truck was an owner demo - the owner of the dealership drove it for the first 4,500 miles. I test drove a different XD and then they offered this demo XD at a great price. I remarked during that test drive of the demo truck that the transmission shifted hard (much different than the other XD I test drove), but of course I expected them to make it right (my dealership has always been very good to me).

I took the truck in for a regen issue and the hard shifting issue 800 miles ago. They "flashed" the transmission and the shifting actually got worse. The shifts from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 are "okay" but 4-5 is very hard and the whole truck shakes or "thunks." I took the mechanic out to show him and he could feel what I was describing.

I went to pick up the truck yesterday and the mechanic gave me the following explanation. He spoke with the Nissan tech line and they said it could take up to 1500 miles after a flash for the transmission to reprogram itself. It gets better. I am supposed to drive at "highway" speeds (though those speeds were not actually spelled out. 60? 65? 80?) to warm up the transmission. At a certain temperature (175??) the transmission will enter learn mode. From what the mechanic could understand from the tech line, the transmission will exit the learn mode if it cools down (hence the possible 1500 miles to learn??).

Here is where it just doesn't pass the smell test with me. How is a transmission supposed to "learn" shift points if you're driving 70 down the highway? My problem is mostly between 4-5. Am I supposed to back up highway traffic while I make the transmission shift between all the gears? Also, I drive about 30 miles in one direction twice a day. 20 miles of that drive is at 60 and then 70 mph. Then there is some "in town" driving for the last 10 miles. I've been doing that since I've owned the truck and definitely since they flashed the transmission. Wouldn't you think the transmission has "learned" enough??

This is very, very frustrating for me. I have an extremely busy schedule with long hours and it is difficult to drop the truck off at the dealership. They are good enough to give me a rental. I have no reason to believe the diesel mechanic is trying to BS me. He said as soon as I hit 1500 miles post flash, bring it back and he will call the tech line again. Until then he says Nissan won't do anything else to help him.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I love the truck, the trim line, and so forth, but I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Mark
When we reprogram a TCM it sets all of the parameters of solenoids etc. to their baseline. Everyone has different driving habits. As you drive your truck it will adjust settings in the TCM to your driving habits. It has to warm up fully before this will take place. Drive your truck normally and it will learn your driving habits.
Based on your post I am wondering if the tech did the calibration procedure which there is a bulletin on. If your trucks shifting does not improve than that is where I would start.

·
78 Posts
I have a similar issue with my truck as well. I went in for "revving" in between shifts, I believe there was a TSB that reflashed the TCM which they did do.
Now instead of my transmission reving/feeling like it slips it does really hard shifts at low speeds.

Truck is perfectly fine at highway speeds but all shifts below 40mpg are all hard clunking shifts

·
573 Posts
I am suprised on the issues with the AISIN. It is like they just can't get this xmission to work properly with the 5.0 Cummins.
I have not heard of this happening with the the 3500 RAM, but I suppose the different RPM range prevents it from occurring.

·
918 Posts
I think that some of the difference between the Ram 3500 and XD are peoples expectations. Most people buying a 1 ton are using it for hauling or work and I might be wrong but most of the concerns are over shifting are under every day driving conditions. Not when pulling a trailer or hauling heavy loads. Also the Ram has had years to iron out the bugs. It is not that there is a problem but the transmission is not operating to customers expectations. There are over 20,000 pieces and multiple control units talking back and forth on modern vehicles. Sometimes there are bugs to work out. And until there are vehicles being driven under real world conditions some of the bugs will not be found.

·
426 Posts
The 6spd Aisin shifts a lot like the 6spd Allison that was in my Silverado. It was very firm, you notice/feel every shift plus the Allison would let the engine rev until things warmed up. I see no issue with Aisin.

·
1,300 Posts
Yep the rams have issues also. My 13 5500 shifts like sh*t. I've taken it in a couple times and they will not even look at it or hook it up to the computer, they test drive it and say it's normal deal with it. "That's the way it is sir, your going to either buy a different truck or change your driving expectations" is what the clowns said to me at ram last time I was there...

I've had my truck in for the re-flash and it seems to be better with its shifts. But it's still not great much better than it was tho lol.

All of the problems lie with the computers in this truck. There is too much going on and it just can't seem to figure itself out. The truck has to deal with torque management, traction control and all of the other safety featers that are on the truck. When there is this much sh*t going on everything just compounds and just makes it stupid.

If they got rid of the torque management this truck would drive absolutely beautifully, it is way to restricted. It would not have to worrie about holding back and trying to find the best shift point or trying to prevent wheel spin(that is when the traction control kicks in and derates the engine ) than your right back to square one and it won't let you go anywhere when a person needs to.

Hopefully when the deletes come out they get the Trans tuning with it and get all the computers to f*ck right off and let me drive the truck lol

I hate when a car or truck second guesses my right foot if it's hard down I need it to move out of the way or I'm trying to lay some 11's.

I was trying to do some donuts in a parking lot last night as we got 5"of snow and the f*ckin truck would not give me the pedal. With the tractin turned off it still derates and flashes the slipping icon on the dash. The computers are killing this truck.

·
5 Posts
The 6spd Aisin shifts a lot like the 6spd Allison that was in my Silverado. It was very firm, you notice/feel every shift plus the Allison would let the engine rev until things warmed up. I see no issue with Aisin.
Do you still have your Titan XD and do you still enjoy it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts