Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking for my next truck this year. I am currently driving a Chevrolete 2500HD with an 8.1L gas engine. Before that I had an F150 with the 5.4 gasser. I am definitely looking at a diesel, which is why the Titan XD has interested me. I have read through what I could find on this forum and most of the comparisons I see between 3/4 ton truck and the XD are paper comparisons. I noticed going form the 1/2 ton truck to the 3/4 ton a huge difference in towing, not only in power, but in stability (although there's a definite trade off in smoothness of ride). Is anyone currently driving an XD that previously had a 3/4 ton, or has anyone who currently had a 3/4 ton driven one of these? I was curious if anyone had any thought on the titan XD based on their experiences with a 3/4 ton truck. Thanks for your help.

·
169 Posts
I have a 3/4 ton and have driven an XD.

I can't see any reason to purchase an XD if you're towing anything over about 10k. If you're towing in the 6-8k range, then sure the XD can suffice.

The XD handles and rides no better than my old 2003 Dodge Ram, it has significantly less power than the Dodge (even given the power ratings are near-identical), and if you're comparing the new 3/4 tons to the XD, the XD pales in rated capacity. All for a similar price.

·
36 Posts
Get an xd and don't worry about it. It'll tow whatever you want it to. You can get a 3/4 truck but you'll be spending extra cash for nothing.

·
169 Posts
Get an xd and don't worry about it. It'll tow whatever you want it to. You can get a 3/4 truck but you'll be spending extra cash for nothing.
That's completely untrue, and a lie.

Your ignorance is becoming more clear with every post....

·
363 Posts
Yikes. Your info couldn't be further from the truth. Do yourself and everyone else a favor, do more research, and less posting.

·
36 Posts
Get a 3/4 ton (ram especially) and still fall short of payload way before you run out of pulling power or save money and get an xd.

·
430 Posts
Get a 3/4 ton (ram especially) and still fall short of payload way before you run out of pulling power or save money and get an xd.
Modern "3/4 tons" actually fall into about a 3-4000lbs payload range. And it's already a proven fact that you can get the big 3 with incentives for less.

·
20 Posts
Let's quit comparing the XD to a 3/4 ton. It's not a 3/4 ton it does not have the specs or performance of a 3/4 ton. It was not intended to be a 3/4 ton or compete in the 3/4 ton market. If you think it is the equivalent of a 3/4 ton have a look at the axle. A 6 lug axle is not a 3/4 ton axle. The XD is a HD 1/2 ton. If you like to over load your 1/2 ton and tow heavy loads near maximum capacity with your 1/2 ton take a look at the Titan XD, it may be enough truck for what you need. If you need more truck save yourself some money and get a 3/4 ton with more power and greater payload capacity. For now I went with more truck, and for the minimal price difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton went with the 3500. If my needs change and I need less truck I'll give the XD a serious look. So if you are an XD fan don't compare it to a 3/4 ton. If you need a 3/4 ton quit dumping on the XD and look at the big 3. You'll find what your looking for there. Just my .02 cents

·
44 Posts
let's quit comparing the xd to a 3/4 ton. It's not a 3/4 ton it does not have the specs or performance of a 3/4 ton. It was not intended to be a 3/4 ton or compete in the 3/4 ton market. If you think it is the equivalent of a 3/4 ton have a look at the axle. A 6 lug axle is not a 3/4 ton axle. The xd is a hd 1/2 ton. If you like to over load your 1/2 ton and tow heavy loads near maximum capacity with your 1/2 ton take a look at the titan xd, it may be enough truck for what you need. If you need more truck save yourself some money and get a 3/4 ton with more power and greater payload capacity. For now i went with more truck, and for the minimal price difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton went with the 3500. If my needs change and i need less truck i'll give the xd a serious look. So if you are an xd fan don't compare it to a 3/4 ton. If you need a 3/4 ton quit dumping on the xd and look at the big 3. You'll find what your looking for there. Just my .02 cents

^^^^^^this!

·
72 Posts
I think I read that the new 6 lug rims have enlarged studs for a heavier rating than the previous 6 lugs? Anybody have more info on that?

·
430 Posts
The buyers of this truck need to compare this truck to a 2500 class truck, hence the title of this post. People are buying the truck with expectations, and the clueless dealers aren't going to tell them their new XD won't tow that 70,000$ fifth wheel they just bought.

·
169 Posts
The comparison will ALWAYS be there. Nissan themselves aimed to build a truck in-between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Logically comparisons to both will follow. Common sense kind of dictates that...

And it's far less capable than a 3/4 ton, but costs about the same.

And it's no more capable than any other 1/2 ton, and costs more.

·
658 Posts
Let's quit comparing the XD to a 3/4 ton. It's not a 3/4 ton it does not have the specs or performance of a 3/4 ton. It was not intended to be a 3/4 ton or compete in the 3/4 ton market. If you think it is the equivalent of a 3/4 ton have a look at the axle. A 6 lug axle is not a 3/4 ton axle. The XD is a HD 1/2 ton. If you like to over load your 1/2 ton and tow heavy loads near maximum capacity with your 1/2 ton take a look at the Titan XD, it may be enough truck for what you need. If you need more truck save yourself some money and get a 3/4 ton with more power and greater payload capacity. For now I went with more truck, and for the minimal price difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton went with the 3500. If my needs change and I need less truck I'll give the XD a serious look. So if you are an XD fan don't compare it to a 3/4 ton. If you need a 3/4 ton quit dumping on the XD and look at the big 3. You'll find what your looking for there. Just my .02 cents
Well obviously YOU compared it to a 3/4 ton and decided it wasn't enough truck for you. Let everyone else hash it out too, pros and cons. Nissan is the one who placed this truck in the in between segment. Like Mopar says, that in and of itself leads to a natural discussion and comparison of this truck vs other 1/2 tons AND 3/4 tons. This is a totally legit discussion.

·
41 Posts
The comparison will ALWAYS be there. Nissan themselves aimed to build a truck in-between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Logically comparisons to both will follow. Common sense kind of dictates that...

Here's my side by side comparison. I included my window sticker, obviously no one pays MSRP so I got my Duramax for $53,400. The XD is just over $53,000 for the Pro4x.

The price is pretty close but I wasn't able to match all features between both vehicles exactly. Like I don't know if this Pro4XD has hill power folding tow mirrors, brake controls,or an exhaust brake.
As for capability, cargo capacity is 2293lbs and can tow 19,800lbs. My MPGs have been fluctuating between 14-21. I'm working in Ft Lauderdale and the traffic sux, but having a 36 gallon tank makes it less of a hassle.

The XD rates its payload at "over 2000lbs" and towing at 12,000lbs. I'm hearing 15-21mpg from multiple owners.
Looking at paper I chose the Chevy.

Attachments

·
20 Posts
Well obviously YOU compared it to a 3/4 ton and decided it wasn't enough truck for you. Let everyone else hash it out too, pros and cons. Nissan is the one who placed this truck in the in between segment. Like Mopar says, that in and of itself leads to a natural discussion and comparison of this truck vs other 1/2 tons AND 3/4 tons. This is a totally legit discussion.
Actually I didn't compare it to a 3/4 ton truck. I had a look at my future towing and payload needs and determined any 1/2 ton or HD 1/2 such as the XD would limit my choice of 5th wheel trailers. Far as I'm concerned when it comes to towing and hauling you can never have too much excess capacity. Ram 3500 gave me all the towing and payload I'll ever need. If we get out of RVing a 1/2 ton will be fine and I'll downsize. Anyone that's looking at the XD for hauling a 5th wheel had better take a serious look at its limitations. I don't think Nissan had any intentions of challenging the 3/4 ton market rather they wanted to make a heavy weight in the 1/2 ton market. I think the XD might be there time will tell.

·
36 Posts

Here's my side by side comparison. I included my window sticker, obviously no one pays MSRP so I got my Duramax for $53,400. The XD is just over $53,000 for the Pro4x.

The price is pretty close but I wasn't able to match all features between both vehicles exactly. Like I don't know if this Pro4XD has hill power folding tow mirrors, brake controls,or an exhaust brake.
As for capability, cargo capacity is 2293lbs and can tow 19,800lbs. My MPGs have been fluctuating between 14-21. I'm working in Ft Lauderdale and the traffic sux, but having a 36 gallon tank makes it less of a hassle.

The XD rates its payload at "over 2000lbs" and towing at 12,000lbs. I'm hearing 15-21mpg from multiple owners.
Looking at paper I chose the Chevy.
So you actually think that your 2300lb cargo capacity truck will tow 19,800lbs? But an xd with a few hundred less of capacity is weak?

·
36 Posts

Why aren't you in the ram fiat forums? Us Nissan guys are used to dependability. We can't depend on your info or your truck brand cause both are questionable. Don't you have a recall or something. Get lost.

·
658 Posts
Actually I didn't compare it to a 3/4 ton truck. I had a look at my future towing and payload needs and determined any 1/2 ton or HD 1/2 such as the XD would limit my choice of 5th wheel trailers. Far as I'm concerned when it comes to towing and hauling you can never have too much excess capacity. Ram 3500 gave me all the towing and payload I'll ever need. If we get out of RVing a 1/2 ton will be fine and I'll downsize. Anyone that's looking at the XD for hauling a 5th wheel had better take a serious look at its limitations. I don't think Nissan had any intentions of challenging the 3/4 ton market rather they wanted to make a heavy weight in the 1/2 ton market. I think the XD might be there time will tell.
I agree with pretty much every thing you wrote here. I sold my 09 Titan in preparation of buying a bigger more capable truck for the main reason of pulling a 5th wheel. I was very excited in the XD because I assumed at the time that when Nissan said they were going for tweener market that it would literally be in the middle. It seemed to me that the truck would be perfect for a 10k lbs or less 5er. Enough capability to load the family and gear, hook up the rig, and have enough room to spare that I wasn't always at max capabilities. AND give me a better ride when not using if for towing (wife, kids, car seats and dogs...). To find out that the XD doesn't actually fit into any inbetween tow and cargo ratings disappoints me. Ultimately I'll probably end up in a 3/4 ton but I am still admittedly in that inbetween market. Unfortunately this XD doesn't split the 1/2 and 3/4 market at all. But because Nissan calls in a tweener it's always going to be bashed for not having enough capabilities, at least until it's numbers are truly in between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton numbers.

·
169 Posts
Tacoman and digitalbliss pretty much both of you hit it on the head. That's really my only problem with the XD.

So you actually think that your 2300lb cargo capacity truck will tow 19,800lbs? But an xd with a few hundred less of capacity is weak?
Are you trying to say the XD can pull 19k? Safely?

Why aren't you in the ram fiat forums? Us Nissan guys are used to dependability. We can't depend on your info or your truck brand cause both are questionable. Don't you have a recall or something. Get lost.
Piss off. I'm not going anywhere, get used to it.

I post facts. Period. Or at least opinion based off of facts and/or deductive reasoning. Nothing questionable. I certainly don't post moronic statements like "why go buy a 3/4 ton and gain nothing" or whatever that trash-post you made was.

When your Nissan has 50 years of work behind it and is still ticking, then you can talk about reliability. And then let's not even mention the fact that Titans do, in fact, fail, just like everything else. I mean they don't sell well at all so one could have his head in the clouds and say something foolish like "Dodge sucks. Recall. Titans are reliable" since, ya know, the scales are not exactly even. Until then, woopty doo, your Titan made it past the 10 year mark at the most (12-13 years)! Addaboy!

Let's completely ignore those owners of 1989 Dodge Cummins trucks that still drive them daily and have never broke down....or the guy with a '72 Chevy that has never broken down, or....

Basically, you got nothin' to yap about. But at least the XD is twice what the previous joke-of-a-truck Titan was. The only thing more embarrassing is the Honda Ridgeline minivan-with-a-bed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts