Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes Nissan wants a pretty penny for their new Titan XD, but is Nissan really asking for that much more then a conventional half-ton?

According to Car and Driver, not really.

Yes compared to a regular half-ton gasser the Titan seems woefully uncompetitive, but what if you compare it to the only other truck in class with a diesel motor, the Ram EcoDiesel?

Well when you look at the numbers (crew-cabs only ATM) C&D says that you're only looking at a $2560 premium over the Ram. Which nets you keyless entry, pushbutton start and Bluetooth over the Spartan EcoDiesel Tradesman. Not to mention the Cummins V8 that dwarfs the little V6 in the RAM...

·
94 Posts
The price point brings the RAM 2500 Cummins into the competition too and the big inline 6 Cummins puts it's little V8 sister to shame for power, torque and fuel economy. Here for example, before any negotiation I can get a RAM 2500 Laramie with pretty much everything but keyless and remote start for $2200 less than a fully loaded Pro4X.
In my opinion and for that price, Nissan should have offered a heavier GVWR putting the truck in class 2B for those of us wanting a Pro4X AND the ability to use the goose neck hitch.

·
24 Posts
I agree completely with this post. So many uneducated people keep posting things like "well, I can get this lariat f250 for $XXXX, so unless Nissan is less than that, the XD is overpriced." NO.... NO!!! Comparing one trucks incentive discounted price to another one's MSRP is not comparing apples to apples. The Titan XD IS priced exactly where Nissan said it would be. The Platinum F150 4x4 starts at $57k, F250 4x4 $67k. The Titan XD Platinum Reserve is right in the middle of those two at $60.5k

·
363 Posts
I agree completely with this post. So many uneducated people keep posting things like "well, I can get this lariat f250 for $XXXX, so unless Nissan is less than that, the XD is overpriced." NO.... NO!!! Comparing one trucks incentive discounted price to another one's MSRP is not comparing apples to apples. The Titan XD IS priced exactly where Nissan said it would be. The Platinum F150 4x4 starts at $57k, F250 4x4 $67k. The Titan XD Platinum Reserve is right in the middle of those two at $60.5k
In the real world people look at value for comparos. And that's been the rub all along. Unless Nissan puts a bunch of money on the hood, the XD will be overpriced based on it's marginal tweener specs/capability.

·
36 Posts
OTD price is a better gauge, it's what you'd pay. Guarantee the first long while these Titans will only go for MSRP, meanwhile you can get a 6.7 Cummins Lariat for 52k. That is, if you use a truck for truck purposes, not just advertising to women, "hey look at my tiny penis".

·
94 Posts
"uneducated people" LOL
My comparison is with MSRP's all around. Before discounts I can get a RAM 2500 Laramie for $2200CAD With discounts it becomes $12000 less.
If price was all there is to it, I would have already bought the RAM. There is still a chance I could be impressed by how it drives, so I remain here with an opinion(and education) as valid as the next guy.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I just went to canadian online ram builder a 2016 ram 2500 Laramie crew 4x4 diesel automatic. Without adding any options msrp'd at $76000?

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I just went to canadian online ram builder a 2016 ram 2500 Laramie crew 4x4 diesel automatic. Without adding any options msrp'd at $76000?
Actually to further that if you add all the options to the ram that the fully loaded pro4x has including cooled bucket seats, remote start, nav, locking diff, 5th wheel prep, spray in liner, ram box etc... the ram msrp'd over $82400 and the titan still has a few extras (around view monitor, electronic locking diff etc...) and one could argue to add sport group to the ram Laramie for another $1600 to make it more comparible to the titan xd pro4x. We are now approaching $10,000 cad. more for a ram 2500 Laramie optioned similar to the fully loaded titan pro4x.

·
94 Posts
And mine shows lower yet right from the Can RAM builder with freight and A/C fee added and before any dealer discounts.
*edit* I just noticed at the beginning of the build, it did take a discount off making the total $3800 more for the RAM2500 over Pro4X before the additional discounts form my dealer which being greater than that, still puts the RAM at a lower cost to take home.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
And mine shows lower yet right from the Can RAM builder with freight and A/C fee added and before any dealer discounts.
*edit* I just noticed at the beginning of the build, it did take a discount off making the total $3800 more for the RAM2500 over Pro4X before the additional discounts form my dealer which being greater than that, still puts the RAM at a lower cost to take home.

You mentioned in your comparison a fully loaded Pro4X

To get the Ram Laramie to almost the option list the fully loaded pro4x has

You need to add $18865 in options to the base MSRP of $62695 of the ram ram 2500 4x4 crew auto. diesel plus freight and air tax $1895 Total is $83455
for the ram optioned similar but still missing a few key options the titan has over the ram.
The fully loaded XD Pro4x options out at $72926. Even with Rams $6000 rebate its still $4500 more.
If your going to compare, it should be a fair comparison not a base Ram Laramie.

·
94 Posts
You mentioned in your comparison a fully loaded Pro4X

To get the Ram Laramie to almost the option list the fully loaded pro4x has

You need to add $18865 in options to the base MSRP of $62695 of the ram ram 2500 4x4 crew auto. diesel plus freight and air tax $1895 Total is $83455
for the ram optioned similar but still missing a few key options the titan has over the ram.
The fully loaded XD Pro4x options out at $72926. Even with Rams $6000 rebate its still $4500 more.
If your going to compare, it should be a fair comparison not a base Ram Laramie.
My comparison included a great many options including two alternators, bed liner, nav, clearance lights, rear window defrost, aux switches, top camera, black apearance, rear air suspension and a few various other things. My price on the Pro4X is from my dealer(Newcastle Nissan) not the builder.

Regardless, the point is that at the price point, and the tweener claim, 3/4 ton diesels are direct competition, not just the eco diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
But you said you were comparing msrp? Yes you can get a ram 2500 cheaper but it's not even as close to the option list the fully loaded pro4x is.
And a ram 1500 Laramie diesel optioned as similar as can be but still missing lots of key options compared to the fully pro4x msrp'd at $71,480.
The titan msrp is very competitive across the whole range.
As I have said before. It's going to come down to incentives.

·
94 Posts
But you said you were comparing msrp? Yes you can get a ram 2500 cheaper but it's not even as close to the option list the fully loaded pro4x is.
And a ram 1500 Laramie diesel optioned as similar as can be but still missing lots of key options compared to the fully pro4x msrp'd at $71,480.
The titan msrp is very competitive across the whole range.
As I have said before. It's going to come down to incentives.
Clearly we have a different opinion of what's not even close and what's fair. My price on the RAM lacked a locking rear dif, keyless start, remote start and around view cameras. The Pro4X lacks rear air suspension, load camera, a free floating rear end, an alternator and has a lesser infotainment center....and that's before we compare ability. I'd call that fair.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yep I was just comparing similar optioned to msrp don't know how that's confusing? And the ram is $10500 more. Which it should be as it has more capability. But the titan msrp is very well priced in comparison.

·
570 Posts
Availability and price of parts - domestics will have the advantage since there will be so few on the road. Not trolling, its the truth. Even if they are the same price when you take them home, the Titan will be a bit costlier in the long run.

·
44 Posts
Some good points made on all sides BUT...... Nobody really knows the exact details YET. In a month when these hit the lots and people can actually " get down to brass tacks" negotiating price, im coming back to this thread to see who "guessed" right" .

It will be interesting for sure.. Nissan thought these would be compared to the half tons but they are understandably being compared to 3/4 and 1 tons. Go figure....

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

·
12 Posts
Availability and price of parts - domestics will have the advantage since there will be so few on the road. Not trolling, its the truth. Even if they are the same price when you take them home, the Titan will be a bit costlier in the long run.
A bit? RAM gets 33 on the hwy and let's say the Titan gets 21 (That's being generous) you're looking at the Titan costing me an extra +$1284 per year with today's diesel prices in Texas travelling 35,000 miles per year. If I was to buy a Ram, I'd want the Laramie Longhorn 4x4 at $52,365. The Titan I want is nothing less than the SL 4x4 at $56,225. My point is, the RAM is a much cheaper option. By far cheaper. I just don't think I can get an XD, but I really want one...

Reactions: PappyVanWinkle

·
119 Posts
I hear you on the differences between the Ram and the Titan. Here's where I'm coming from, already have an 05 Cummins 2500 which will tow anything and everything I have. 2 years back bought an 08 Jeep GC with the 3.0L Benz diesel in it to do that towing and be an everyday driver (for spouse too). Trouble is, you can feel everything you tow behind that little 3.0 and it can wear you out on long trips with my enclosed car trailer, so I still have my big truck. Brother in law has a BMW X5 diesel (3.0L) and it's pretty much the same thing, a little more comfortable but it's a little heavier car as well. So for my needs the 3.0L Dodge would probably be even lighter (all that empty bed) and tow about the same. I'm really hoping this truck can replace both truck and Jeep and still keep spouse happy, but I'll take it in wallet probably with fuel economy....at least I'll save some insurance...I'm hoping that Titan 21 mpg highway number is low, but the 2500 truck gets that now and the Jeep gets only 26 or so. The new Dodge getting 33 mpg highway is a fairy tale, friend who has one hasn't busted 30 yet with over 60K on it and that 8 speed tranny has been a nightmare for him, back to the shop for ECU work 3 times.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts