Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
214 Posts
This pretty much sums it up:

- Best stopping distance while loaded
- Best mpg while pulling
- When it came to towing comfort, the Nissan Titan XD was head and shoulders above the rest
- When carrying a heavy load, the Nissan crushed its competition. While the F-150 and Ram had difficulty running our drive routes and other tests in a confident, controlled manner with 1,750 pounds in the bed, the Nissan felt composed and stable.
-When it came to towing comfort, the Nissan Titan XD was head and shoulders above the rest, due in large part to its transmission software tuning. Our judges found the grade braking and transmission shifts in the Aisin transmission to be standout features; the exceptionally smart and efficient Aisin held gears properly under load when accelerating from a stop and when braking. The smart grade-shifting and quick downshifts were a huge advantage over the competition.

Otherwise,
- If you're looking for luxury comfort and a car-like ride, the Titan XD won't be a good choice.

------------

This is pretty much along the line of most of the discussions here so far, and confirming the opinion I had made of the truck so far without having tested it on the road.

·
363 Posts
All would expect the XD to do better than 4th place out of that half ton pack. Digging into the details may make one even more depressed.

Even with oversized brakes, the XD's didn't outperform in the loaded braking test. Maybe related to the extra pork it's hauling or Nissan didn't do very well with the brake design.

Loaded fuel economy wasn't very stellar compared to the half ton gassers but that's been a known observation.

I was very surprised the XD was dead last in loaded acceleration.

Sound level at 60mph was middle of the pack.

Max towing was only 160lbs more than the GMC - hardly tweener territory as many have noted before.

Unfortunately, when the dust settles Nissan's still has a fail on it's hands for now. Here's their summary:

These details are likely be the biggest challenges for salespeople dealing with smart truck shoppers: The XD has capabilities similar to half-ton pickups, it rides rougher, it doesn't have the power or strength of current three-quarter-ton diesel options and it's more expensive. That's going to be a tricky sale pitch.

·
608 Posts
It's a bit surprising given that Nissan knew it would be up against very tough competition. They weren't ever going to get by with a truck that wasn't obviously overtaking some of the competition in at least a few areas.

·
70 Posts
This pretty much sums it up:

- Best stopping distance while loaded
- Best mpg while pulling
- When it came to towing comfort, the Nissan Titan XD was head and shoulders above the rest
- When carrying a heavy load, the Nissan crushed its competition. While the F-150 and Ram had difficulty running our drive routes and other tests in a confident, controlled manner with 1,750 pounds in the bed, the Nissan felt composed and stable.
-When it came to towing comfort, the Nissan Titan XD was head and shoulders above the rest, due in large part to its transmission software tuning. Our judges found the grade braking and transmission shifts in the Aisin transmission to be standout features; the exceptionally smart and efficient Aisin held gears properly under load when accelerating from a stop and when braking. The smart grade-shifting and quick downshifts were a huge advantage over the competition.

Otherwise,
- If you're looking for luxury comfort and a car-like ride, the Titan XD won't be a good choice.

------------

This is pretty much along the line of most of the discussions here so far, and confirming the opinion I had made of the truck so far without having tested it on the road.
These are the reasons I pulled the trigger and ordered one along with having been so pleased with my Gen 1. Outrunning another truck with mine while towing is not really something I care about. The factors listed above are to me whats most important when buying a truck you are going to tow with often. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
A quality built over built tank of a 1/2 ton that's getting same mpg or slightly better as my 2.7 ford I had on winter diesel.
I am very happy with my xd.

·
77 Posts
The XD was probably about right when they went to develop this truck way back when but the issue is that manufacturers have really doubled down on capability in the last few years which has made the XD less relevant. It's still not a bad option for some people but it's not in the middle of the market where Nissan wanted it to be.

·
573 Posts
The Xd actually did well on the Dyno. 270 hp is 87% of engine hp and 455 TQ is 82% of engine TQ.
Only the 3.5tt Ford was as "honest" as Nissan with 84% Hp/ 83% TQ
Ram was the most generous for their ratings. 294 Hp/229 TQ puts them at 74%/73% respectively.

The 5-10% better mpg towing is a tough price to pay over the 10-20% decrease mpg while unloaded against the GM/Ford
---> especially with that 26 gallon fuel tank

·
169 Posts
I can't "Like" Frost's post more than once, so I'll just echo what he said.

Nissan Titan XD= fail, fail, FAIL. In a massive way. What a disappointment this truck is, I've tried so d a m n hard to like this truck after all its ratings were released, and it just isn't happening. I mean, if I were rolling in some dough and could afford a frivolous truck with no real purpose, I would have bought that PR on the spot. But I need one to tow, and one to get mileage. And Ram makes both, which is where my business will continue to be. Was hoping the XD could come in close enough to both my goals to cover both bases in one truck.

Ram 3500 for towing, and Ram 1500 EcoDiesel for daily grind/mileage. Meh, more Dodges in the driveway is a very VERY good thing so I'm not sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts