Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to this forum, but it to the forum life! My question is, what is everyone's opinions on trading up? I am currently driving an '02 Chevy 2500HD ccsb rwd, with an 8.1. I've been browsing and have noticed a lot of people saying how the XD's tow ratings are not what they were expected to be. My opinion on this is, I tow a 36' 5th wheel just fine with my 2500. And in 2002, the GM 2500HD was only rated at 12k pounds for towing.
This truck seems tailor made for me. Enough for the odd times I need to tow, but not over doing it the rest of the time. What kills me is the price. The Pro-4x, with options ID want, comes in at approxately 52k. I can get a new base model Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4x4 duramax for about the same. So I am split down the middle right now. What are your opinions?

·
430 Posts
Newbie to this forum, but it to the forum life! My question is, what is everyone's opinions on trading up? I am currently driving an '02 Chevy 2500HD ccsb rwd, with an 8.1. I've been browsing and have noticed a lot of people saying how the XD's tow ratings are not what they were expected to be. My opinion on this is, I tow a 36' 5th wheel just fine with my 2500. And in 2002, the GM 2500HD was only rated at 12k pounds for towing.
This truck seems tailor made for me. Enough for the odd times I need to tow, but not over doing it the rest of the time. What kills me is the price. The Pro-4x, with options ID want, comes in at approxately 52k. I can get a new base model Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4x4 duramax for about the same. So I am split down the middle right now. What are your opinions?
I would go the Chevy route. The Pro4x is going to give you less than 12k towing and less than 1800lbs payload, for your pin weight. Sounds like you'll be taking a step back in capacity and capability. The Duramax will also net better fuel mileage at that load weight. Shop around. With rebates you could be out the door with at least an LT trim for less than 52k.The numbers are there. It is what it is, but this is an XD forum, so good luck getting an unbiased answer.

·
41 Posts
I would say go with Duramax for your needs....but I'm biased��
If you do some shopping and are willing to drive like I did, you can get a 2016 Dmax LTZ Z71 CC for $53k. Check Donohoo Cheverolet in Ft Payne Alabama. They had my same truck but in white for the same deal.
Im extremely stoked with it.

Attachments

·
658 Posts
I would say go with Duramax for your needs....but I'm biased��
If you do some shopping and are willing to drive like I did, you can get a 2016 Dmax LTZ Z71 CC for $53k. Check Donohoo Cheverolet in Ft Payne Alabama. They had my same truck but in white for the same deal.
Im extremely stoked with it.
Bout an hour drive for me... I should check it out. Hmmmm...

·
72 Posts
That's a pretty good sized 5th wheel
I've not gone heavy with my XD yet, so won't advise that direction just yet.
I've every intention of towing my 26' toy hauler with my XD, including the UTV, ATV's and bikes, gear 40 gal fuel, and 120 gal water.
We need to remember when thinking towing, that the XD has the same ratings that the older 3/4 and 1T's many are used to towing with, more than some.
If an older 3/4t Chevy tows it fine, I'm thinking the Titan will excel.
Towing 11.5 or so on a gooseneck this weekend, I'll report back with how she handled.
Took some getting used to the throttle response, put the pwr is there.
My 6.4 with Spartan tuner was stupid fast and strong, when it ran. you can't expect this lil 5.0 to be all that for power. San's tuner the 6.4 was a pig, but it was a 450, 10k.
But I don't have a 19k lb 5th wheel anymore. I think the XD will handle everything I've left quite nicely.

·
917 Posts
The towing rating for a 5er on the Pro4X would only be 10555lbs with a king pin load of 1547lbs. Listed max tow ratings are for hitch on a 2wd s model only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts