Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went on a 200 mile one way trip hauling our 25ft Airstream Safari. Think the camper itself has a weight of 6300, plus a few hundred pounds of firewood, and camping stuff. I am guessing 7500 pounds ish... Got 12.1 mpg with cruise set at 72 most of the way. The truck rode great handled the camper like a pro. The truck only had 1 moment of hesitation and it was when I was entering interstate highway and semi wouldn't get over so I floored it and tried to get ahead of him... Well long story short... If it was a gas engine it would have sh!t and get... But the diesel took its good old time to get up to speed. Think maybe a little better torque mgt might be necessary in the future. Or faster throttle response. Either way... Love the truck and happy with its performance other than this one time.

Attachments

·
229 Posts
12.1mpg is promising! I've got a 32' toyhauler that's 6900 dry, and am hoping to be somewhere in that range when pulling it. My last truck only got 8mpg doing 70, which was one of the major reasons for me upgrading vehicles. I pulled it around my block when I first purchased my truck and it did great, but it was a very short drive as I was still under the 500 mile mark at that time. I'm hoping to hook up and go for a real drive asap w/it now. Will report my findings shortly.

·
404 Posts
12.1mpg is promising! I've got a 32' toyhauler that's 6900 dry, and am hoping to be somewhere in that range when pulling it. My last truck only got 8mpg doing 70, which was one of the major reasons for me upgrading vehicles. I pulled it around my block when I first purchased my truck and it did great, but it was a very short drive as I was still under the 500 mile mark at that time. I'm hoping to hook up and go for a real drive asap w/it now. Will report my findings shortly.
Please post photos of toy hauler attached and let us know how it goes. I'm in the market for a toy hauler and most of them are very heavy, especially the fifth wheel versions which the XD isn't rated to pull.

·
1,979 Posts
No way a 32' TH weighs 6900#, I'd say more around 8k. I pulled a 33' Gear Box BP with my 3500 CTD & it was a handfull even with that big of a truck.

·
229 Posts
No way a 32' TH weighs 6900#, I'd say more around 8k. I pulled a 33' Gear Box BP with my 3500 CTD & it was a handfull even with that big of a truck.
Actually it's 6800 dry…gvw is 9900…it's also listed at 33 1/2' total length. Coachmen blds.
My last truck was a Cadi EXT and it pulled it "well", but definitely could've been better. I bought the XD due to my last truck suffering on the steep highway hills I would occasionally come across.

·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got home 244 miles with the camper. Truck got 12.2 mpg on way. 2 miles better than the trip there.

·
10 Posts
My Platinum Reserve 4x4 pulling a 28 foot Airstream Flying Cloud got 12.7 mpg. I am guessing I was under 8000 lbs. Average speed 65 to 70 mph. No issues with the truck at all. I was using tow mode. Which brings up an interesting question. The manual for the truck stated to use tow mode when towing a heavy load. Anyone know what Nissan considers a heavy load? I noticed that in tow mode the truck seems to take longer to shift gears than when it is not in tow mode. I am a bit leery to try towing the trailer for any length of time out of tow mode. Anybody have any input on this?

·
1,979 Posts
My Platinum Reserve 4x4 pulling a 28 foot Airstream Flying Cloud got 12.7 mpg. I am guessing I was under 8000 lbs. Average speed 65 to 70 mph. No issues with the truck at all. I was using tow mode. Which brings up an interesting question. The manual for the truck stated to use tow mode when towing a heavy load. Anyone know what Nissan considers a heavy load? I noticed that in tow mode the truck seems to take longer to shift gears than when it is not in tow mode. I am a bit leery to try towing the trailer for any length of time out of tow mode. Anybody have any input on this?
If you can feel the trailer you should use the THM, it's really that simple. You can Run around with the THM on everyday of the week if you want, it won't hurt anything. THM just changes this shift points.
Sounds like you had a awesome trip !

·
93 Posts
Tow mode also causes the tranny to downshift more aggressively to help with engine braking.

How is the rear end sag with your AS? I believe the 28' has the most tongue way of all Airstreams (even the 30'). I get about an inch of sag with my 25' which puts the truck just about perfectly level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10 Posts
I have an Equalizer weight distribution hitch. The 28' does have a heavier tongue weight. I originally had a 25' Flying Cloud towed by a Nissan Armada with this set up before buying the Titan XD; I had to drop the hitch head down one hole to level everything out. We traded the 25' in for the 28' and the dealer made a one hole adjustment to the sway control bracket, but the trailer is just as level as the 25' was. Driving the trailer back from Fort Worth and going camping with it I could not tell any real difference between towing the 28' and the 25'. I did not measure the sag when I originally load the trailer (although it did sag); once I hook up the Spring Arms the front end drops to where it was without the trailer hooked up (approximately 40 inches measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well). Next time we go camping I'll measure the sag before I install the Spring Arms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts