Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the Ez Lynk out of my Ram 5500 and it fell right into the OBDII port on the Nissan... Strangest thing is that it had a Pile of tunes on it so I just had to see what all the fuss was about...:devil:

The truck is not deleted quite yet. As of right now I'm running the "Proven Diesel tunes" and it is flashed with their Emission Friendly 60HP Tune. I've gotta say within the first 10 mins of driving the truck around, like everyone else has stated it drives and responds completely different, it actually moves when the right foot is put down.

The shifts are very, very good now and the small bump in power is nice when merging onto the highway. I put my foot down the truck will down shift immediately and take off.

The best part for me is the stupid surge when coming to a stop is gone, the truck rolls in and stop at 650RPM and it stays there, it does not flair up and try to lung forward or anything (Why cant Nissan figure this out is beyond me) AND The Torque Management is completely altered now so the truck feels way safer to drive :nerd2:. If I need to get the truck moving quickly out of a situation it just goes now, its not second guessing my right foot anymore. Driving around town the truck is nice and smooth not jumpy at all.

So far I could not be happier with the tune I'm running from Proven Diesel.. I was going to go with PPEI but these guys are about 100 bucks cheaper.

Hey NISSAN!! This is how your truck should be driving from the factory, you D*ck Heads...

·
1,331 Posts
I just flashed the PPEI 60hp emissions friendly tune, haven’t started it yet as they recommend waiting 10mins before starting.

I’ll run this for awhile until I find time to do the delete, I can’t believe how easy the ezlynk is to use. I’m interested to see the diff between this tune and the AG Diesel unit I had on it, after removing the AG Diesel unit my truck just felt lacking, the stock tune they put on these is weak once you feel what just a tad more overall power does.

Edit: So much better, the detuning of the torque management is awesome in itself. I did a quick loop and overall computer mileage was 2 mpg better then I usually had. It just gets up and goes, I do wonder if the no emissions tune will be similar or better yet.

·
121 Posts
If you like the emission friendly tunes....Just wait till you delete, Its a completely different animal and its bad a**.
LOL

·
517 Posts
Ok, gents I'm totally new to the tune and delete but I'm trying to learn. I live in AZ (Maricopa county). I'm ready to do something to make the truck run better, longer, and more trouble free. How do I get around the emissions stuff? Are the emission friendly tunes acceptable? I need recommendations. How easy/hard is it to swap back and forth in case I want to put the crap back on to get past emissions, then take it back off after for a year? I'm pretty mechanical (fix my dirtbikes, etc all the time) and do almost all my own maintenance on the truck.

I'm ready to do something. Tired of this $h!t.

·
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well as of right now the emission friendly tunes is a much needed improvement IMO. Guys that think there truck is good the way it is totally stock are completely closed minded lol they need to drive it with a small emissions tune.

Honestly I'm really impressed it's just the start too as when deleted I'm sure it will open up a lot more still.

As for swapping the dpf in and out normally they are not that tough to do. 3 or 4 bolts on the flange, a clamp or two and hangers.
Just a PITA more than anything to swap back and fourth.

Honestly give the emission tune a whirl first see how you get on with it and go from there. If you want more take the DPF out and put on a 90HP or 120HP tune

·
121 Posts
Crawl under the truck and look, there's a few plugs to unhook and a few bolts, not to over simplify but it really doesn't take more than a couple hours to do.

·
517 Posts
Gents, I know what it takes to remove the def tank under the truck (pretty simple), but what else gets removed in a full tune and delete? If its an emission friendly tune - do you still have the DEF issues (I'm assuming you do)? Because I'm done with the DEF system error crap. I'd love more performance and more responsiveness. That's a BIG step. I'd deal with the DEF if it will stop the stupid DEF system error $h!t. 4th trip to the dealer now for the same dang thing. Sorry for what may seem like dumb questions. First diesel, I'm a noob (even though I've had the truck for a year and a half).

Ready to do something about how it runs.

·
1,344 Posts
Gents, I know what it takes to remove the def tank under the truck (pretty simple), but what else gets removed in a full tune and delete? If its an emission friendly tune - do you still have the DEF issues (I'm assuming you do)? Because I'm done with the DEF system error crap. I'd love more performance and more responsiveness. That's a BIG step. I'd deal with the DEF if it will stop the stupid DEF system error $h!t. 4th trip to the dealer now for the same dang thing. Sorry for what may seem like dumb questions. First diesel, I'm a noob (even though I've had the truck for a year and a half).

Ready to do something about how it runs.
The DPF and converter comes off. Straight pipe takes the place of those. that's it. Since my tune in early December last year, my truck has run much better and w/o any DEF warnings. I never removed my DEF tank, but I will soon.

·
142 Posts
In an emissions friendly tune all of the emissions equipment is intact and operating. Because of the higher fuel flow you will regen a lot more and use a lot more DEF. Not to mention pushing more soot etc into the egr. So emissions friendly is good very short term change.

For a true delete and tune you remove the DPF and SCR from the exhaust either with a delete pipe or a full new exhaust from the downpipe flange back. The tuning turns off the EGR and electronically shuts the valve that lets exhaust in.

The electronic EGR delete (turn off) is a good short term fix but it is best to full delete it with a kit from CFT.

For the DEF tank itself you don't have to remove it as it isn't doing anything but it is very easy to drain (and flush with DISTILLED water) then unbolt and take it off.

·
145 Posts
If its an emission friendly tune - do you still have the DEF issues (I'm assuming you do)? Because I'm done with the DEF system error crap. I'd love more performance and more responsiveness. That's a BIG step. I'd deal with the DEF if it will stop the stupid DEF system error $h!t. 4th trip to the dealer now for the same dang thing.
Have they done the latest ECM flash? I went through the DEF system error for a few times in January. The first couple times I took it in, they weren't able to fix. On the third time, Nissan had released a TSB, and they did that flash. No more DEF errors since then.

I'm getting ready to do the EZ lynk tune and delete, though. Mainly to kill the frequent regens. May try just the tune first and I'll see how that affects it. In my experiments with unplugging the EGR, I noticed that this alone significantly reduced regens. When the EGR is open, the engine generates more soot, so the DPF is clogged quicker. Still just trying to decide on which tunes, though I'm leaning toward PPEI. Just wish they had SOTF available now.

·
142 Posts
HPP is just as good if not better than PPEI and has SOTF. A guy on the FB forums tested all of the tunes currently available and said he'd top the list with HPP then PPEI. As for unplugging the egr without being deleted and tuned what will happen is over a period of time the engine will derate itself. There is a forum thread on that.

If you do a non-emissions tune you have to delete or you will cause problems with clogging the dpf very quickly.

·
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Running the em tune is fine for a short time, yea it will cause a regen to happen sooner if your constantly hard on the right foot. If your driving normally the truck is not using that extra HP/fuel. Also the timing and pulse width is slightly adjusted so there is a more complete burn. In general a guy will be fine running a EM tune for awhile.

I'm going to run the EM tune for 10-15K which is like almost a year LOL I don't drive the truck too much as I daily drive my Ram 5500 Service Truck. So I'll be monitoring how the truck is doing from fuel consumption to active regens over the summer and fall while dragging the 5th wheel. Come winter time I will be keeping an eye on the cold starts, if it does not start better in the winter/cold than the DPF and other parts will be ripped off the truck. If it starts fine than I'll leave it be till next spring and then pull the DPF and EGR off. Even now with the EM tune when starting the truck it does sounds a lot better, it doesn't have any RPM flutter or do the quick sputter then fire up. It cranks and than a solid fire up. Before the truck would crank and than do a bit of a soft quick little sputter and than take off, and you can tell that the fuel is not fully flowing on the start.

·
145 Posts
HPP is just as good if not better than PPEI and has SOTF. A guy on the FB forums tested all of the tunes currently available and said he'd top the list with HPP then PPEI. As for unplugging the egr without being deleted and tuned what will happen is over a period of time the engine will derate itself. There is a forum thread on that.

If you do a non-emissions tune you have to delete or you will cause problems with clogging the dpf very quickly.
That was the other one I was looking at. For some reason, when I looked on their site, I didn't see the Titan XD link. I see it now.

Is the Stock HPP tune emissions friendly? I'll probably delete it all anyway, but just keeping options open for now.

On the EGR unplugging. Yeah, I'm familiar with that thread. I unplugged it to see what was up, and ran it that way for about a week or so, then plugged it back in as I started to notice the derate.

·
769 Posts
Running the em tune is fine for a short time, yea it will cause a regen to happen sooner if your constantly hard on the right foot. If your driving normally the truck is not using that extra HP/fuel. Also the timing and pulse width is slightly adjusted so there is a more complete burn. In general a guy will be fine running a EM tune for awhile.

I'm going to run the EM tune for 10-15K which is like almost a year LOL I don't drive the truck too much as I daily drive my Ram 5500 Service Truck. So I'll be monitoring how the truck is doing from fuel consumption to active regens over the summer and fall while dragging the 5th wheel. Come winter time I will be keeping an eye on the cold starts, if it does not start better in the winter/cold than the DPF and other parts will be ripped off the truck. If it starts fine than I'll leave it be till next spring and then pull the DPF and EGR off. Even now with the EM tune when starting the truck it does sounds a lot better, it doesn't have any RPM flutter or do the quick sputter then fire up. It cranks and than a solid fire up. Before the truck would crank and than do a bit of a soft quick little sputter and than take off, and you can tell that the fuel is not fully flowing on the start.

Any update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,331 Posts
Any update?

Proven diesel shows currently that they aren't selling the emissions friendly tune. Anyone have info on this? Updating?

They may not advertise it and just include when you purchase the package, PPEI offers them as well, you just have to ask for them when they are giving you your tunes.

·
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She is running good at the moment very pleased with the power and economy is better.
I'm going to be hooking up to the 5th wheel in a couple hours for a short local camping trip over the weekend. I'll keep you posted on how she pulls and if there is anything out of place, engine lights ect when in tow!

Reactions: Duke
1 - 20 of 48 Posts