Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/2016-nissan-titan-xd-first-look/ said:
...Trailer sway control, tow/haul mode with downhill speed control help keep your vehicle stable under heavy load, and a trailer light check system allows you to do this on your own. ...
I think this answers the question most of us have been wondering. While it's not being specifically called an exhaust brake, it seems Nissan is following the Ford model and integrating the exhaust brake with the tow/haul mode.

Really starting to look like Nissan is covering all their bases.

·
313 Posts
That's gotta be it. At least I hope so ...

·
857 Posts
Good move from nissan.
Overall the new Titan seems to be executed quite well, positions Nissan greatly within the truck segment it's targeting.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
If it's anything like my 2005 Titan, the transmission will down shift to 3rd if you tap the brakes a couple times on a down hill. Sometimes it gets annoying but just accelerate and it goes back to normal.

·
313 Posts
If it's anything like my 2005 Titan, the transmission will down shift to 3rd if you tap the brakes a couple times on a down hill. Sometimes it gets annoying but just accelerate and it goes back to normal.
Yes, that "downhill speed control" could be referring to just this, down gearing to get more engine compression at higher rpms. My F150 EcoBoost does that as well.

But I'm pretty confident that with the Cummins diesel, Nissan will also be using exhaust braking in Tow/Haul mode to get much more effective engine braking. AFAIK exhaust braking is only possible with a diesel. Ford diesel's have built it into the Tow/Haul mode as well.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that "downhill speed control" could be referring to just this, down gearing to get more engine compression at higher rpms. My F150 EcoBoost does that as well.

But I'm pretty confident that with the Cummins diesel, Nissan will also be using exhaust braking in Tow/Haul mode to get much more effective engine braking. AFAIK exhaust braking is only possible with a diesel. Ford diesel's have built it into the Tow/Haul mode as well.
Considering Cummins has mentioned the turbo system, specifically for the Titan, has the capability to exhaust brake and this down hill speed control mentioned by Nissan, I would hazard a guess the Titan will be able to hold its speed at close to its maximum loading. That rotary valve or even a VNT turbo should be able to adjust the amount of hold back. I hope someone figures out how much holdback it has.

On the ISX 15L, 485hp, it had over 600hp of hold back which was a combination of C-Brake and Exhaust braking through the VNT. I would guess the ISV is capable of around 100-150hp of holdback.

It sure would make sense though, the rule of thumb is never go down a hill faster than you can climb it. Following that rule, without using brakes gives you a significant safety factor.

Gasoline engines can be built to handle exhaust braking, but it would have to be a dedicated build. Engines with extreme valve overlap or light springs wouldn't do so well with exhaust braking though.

·
313 Posts
Considering Cummins has mentioned the turbo system, specifically for the Titan, has the capability to exhaust brake and this down hill speed control mentioned by Nissan, I would hazard a guess the Titan will be able to hold its speed at close to its maximum loading.
My only complaint with my F150 3.5L EcoBoost is it's poor engine braking. Going down some steep Appalachian slopes with an 8000# trailer, I'm in first gear and screaming at 5000rpm to keep the speed down. If I use second gear the brakes start cooking.

Don't really need the extra low rpm torque of the Cummins 5L diesel, but would LOVE the exhaust braking when towing.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read another article today that mentioned down-hill speed control as part of tow/haul. I think Nissan has noticed people asking the question about an exhaust brake...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts