Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seriously considering the Titan XD. Imagine my disappointment today when I attended a local RV show and couldn't find one dealer, not ONE, who could show me any 5th wheel toy hauler that the 2016 Titan XD could comfortably tow with the rated 2000# payload and 12,300# towing capacity.

Well now that sucks! I really like the truck, but...................

·
1,979 Posts
If you had done your home work you would already know that a XD is going to be limited on what it can tow, especially 5th wheels.

·
203 Posts
My buddy tows an 8k 5th wheel toy hauler with his tundra which has about a 1500 lb payload. By the time you figure in kids, gear, coolers, dirt bike, etc....he is atleast 4-500lbs over that. A nice set of air bags to help stabilize the rear end and no issues. I don't know how dot is where you live, but I've never seen a guy towing a camper stopped by them here in Texas.

·
58 Posts
Fifth wheels in general, not just toy haulers, put about 20% of their weight on the pin. They also tend to be BIG so that weight can exceed 3000# pretty easily. I am thinking at least a 3/4 ton and probably a one ton to get this kind of capacity.

Of course, if you can find a F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload package, that should carry the weight but I don't know if the Ecoboost is up to pulling it uphill. Should, but I don't have any experience with it.

If you want to take your toys, it seems to be the price of admission.

Mike

·
570 Posts
Of course, if you can find a F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload package, that should carry the weight but I don't know if the Ecoboost is up to pulling it uphill. Should, but I don't have any experience with it.

If you want to take your toys, it seems to be the price of admission.

Mike
If you want to tow a 10k 5th wheel without getting a 3/4 ton, the HD F-150 with eb iss the ONLY way to go. The 3.5tt is stronger on the hills then any engine except the heavy duty diesels. The HD F-150s are just hard to find.

·
72 Posts
I'll take the Titan over the HD 150 any day for a 10k 5th. I'd rather load up a heavier diesel truck than spool up a beer can for towing. My Titan tows like a dream.

·
570 Posts
I believe the OP was more concerned about payload in which the XD diesel fails miserably. If you have qualms (sp?) against aluminium, it might be worth waiting for the gas XD.
It will most likely be closer to 10k # towing, but significantly higher payload.

·
430 Posts
I'll take the Titan over the HD 150 any day for a 10k 5th. I'd rather load up a heavier diesel truck than spool up a beer can for towing. My Titan tows like a dream.

You obviously haven't seen what happens to a Titan when it gets into a wreck. Any pre 2000 truck will open one up, like a can opener, and come out with minor damage. On another note; it's always good to recycle.

·
77 Posts
You obviously haven't seen what happens to a Titan when it gets into a wreck. Any pre 2000 truck will open one up, like a can opener, and come out with minor damage. On another note; it's always good to recycle.
Especially when you have an extra 10,000lbs behind you when you hit a stationary object its game over.

·
1,979 Posts
Not to mention the possible legality issues that come with being over weight in a accident situation.

·
72 Posts
I'll take the legality issues of being over weight against the chance of a lighter truck causing the wreck in the first place. Anyday.
I have never seen a Titan in a wreck. But I call bs on your argument. YOU have not seen a HD in a wreck either. Any pre 2000, bla bla, outta yer butt. weight is weight. Steel is steel and Aluminum is aluminum.
I have a good friend who works claims for a major insurance outfit, he is the one who warned me off the alum 150's. Driving them did not change that opinion, the net did not either. Go worry about your cops, I will tow with stability.

·
1,979 Posts
I'll take the legality issues of being over weight against the chance of a lighter truck causing the wreck in the first place. Anyday.
I have never seen a Titan in a wreck. But I call bs on your argument. YOU have not seen a HD in a wreck either. Any pre 2000, bla bla, outta yer butt. weight is weight. Steel is steel and Aluminum is aluminum.
I have a good friend who works claims for a major insurance outfit, he is the one who warned me off the alum 150's. Driving them did not change that opinion, the net did not either. Go worry about your cops, I will tow with stability.
That is truly dumb argument, having a accident while being within specs is just a accident. Having a accident while being overloaded could be considered criminal. Loss of Insurance coverage, freedom ect ect isn't out of the of the picture in a worse case scenario. Might be unlikely but it does happen from time to time. There is 100's of thousands 2015 F150's on the road now and lots of them are pulling or hauling heavy loads, I have read a few threads about people being unhappy about the lighter F150's.

·
430 Posts
You keep regurgitating the same tired beer can nonsense. I've been in a Titan that was side swiped by an 80's chevy. The Chevy came out with scrapes. Mine came out totalled, tore open down the side like a gutted fish. ALL the newer vehicles are designed to crumple for safety reasons. And yes I have seen many wrecked HDs. Not sure what your point is, there. Facts are, the aluminum will be more expensive to repair or replace but for strength and durability it's on par with the weak steal or plastic body panels that everyone else is using. Just wait. In 15 years, all the other automakers will be using aluminum body panels. That'll probably be the release of the 3rd generation Titan.

·
72 Posts
Ok, this truck has been out for a cpl months and you've seen a bunch of wrecked ones? Really? What do you do for a living again? A funeral director for XD's?
Sorry I'm hearing terrible reviews on the aluminum trucks, you can have one if you want though.
The f 150 has a higher towing rating because it is lighter correct? Is that at all in dispute?

Your welcome to convince yourselves that a lighter truck with less torque can tow as well as a heavier one with more torque if you want.
To me that's just buying into the number game and leaving common sense aside. Personally I don't want to get pushed off the road by my trailer.
And if you think that having a sticker on your door with a slightly higher number is what makes you safe, I don't want to be the one to pop yer bubble fellas
Yes there are plenty of guys towing with the lighter trucks. I see them all the time too, and quite often in the ditch in a pile of trailer pieces because they did NOT have enough truck. But at least that can point to that jam sticker and say 'ya but look officer'. Lol
It feels like Nissan went from a truck that was in my opinion 'a car' and now has made a 'truck', while the 150 was a truck and is being pushed backwards towards being a car. What's next a 5000# truck rated to tow 15k? With 1.7 liter 4 turbo something or another? Lol

·
658 Posts
Ok, this truck has been out for a cpl months and you've seen a bunch of wrecked ones? Really? What do you do for a living again? A funeral director for XD's?
Sorry I'm hearing terrible reviews on the aluminum trucks, you can have one if you want though.
The f 150 has a higher towing rating because it is lighter correct? Is that at all in dispute?

Your welcome to convince yourselves that a lighter truck with less torque can tow as well as a heavier one with more torque if you want.
To me that's just buying into the number game and leaving common sense aside. Personally I don't want to get pushed off the road by my trailer.
And if you think that having a sticker on your door with a slightly higher number is what makes you safe, I don't want to be the one to pop yer bubble fellas
Yes there are plenty of guys towing with the lighter trucks. I see them all the time too, and quite often in the ditch in a pile of trailer pieces because they did NOT have enough truck. But at least that can point to that jam sticker and say 'ya but look officer'. Lol
It feels like Nissan went from a truck that was in my opinion 'a car' and now has made a 'truck', while the 150 was a truck and is being pushed backwards towards being a car. What's next a 5000# truck rated to tow 15k? With 1.7 liter 4 turbo something or another? Lol
He said he's seen a bunch of wrecked HDs not XDs.... And only a fool (or a fan boy) would recommend towing over the weight rating of one truck and dismiss the rating of another.

·
1,979 Posts

You do understand the manufacturers don't just throw dart's to come up with tow ratings, right ?
Also Torque has very little to do with a tow rating or the ability to tow something. The feds could care less how long it takes a load to get going, but the do care about stopping it.

·
167 Posts
With the brakes that are on this truck there is no problem stopping. They are huge in comparison to anything I've driven before.

·
167 Posts
Below is from pickup trucks.com review. This is the best description of how I feel the truck compares to the other half tons when towing or packing the same loads. Ratings aside if course because they all can do it by the numbers.

[We'll start out positive and say that when carrying a heavy load, the Nissan crushed its competition. While the F-150 and Ram had difficulty running our drive routes and other tests in a confident, controlled manner with 1,750 pounds in the bed, the Nissan felt composed and stable. Several of our drivers noted that if they hadn't seen the factory numbers, they'd guess the XD could carry another 1,000 pounds without a problem.

Where some of the other pickups squatted by as much as 6 inches and were close to the axle bump stops with their load (even when hundreds of pounds short of their max payload rating), the Nissan didn't look like it had anything in the bed, running mostly level. Even our track test driver said that the only way he could tell the Titan XD had the rock salt in its bed was that it seemed to hook up a touch better off the line.

With a conventional 10,000-pound-plus loaded trailer hooked up to the bumper (using a weight-distributing hitch, of course), the Titan XD did seem a bit taxed. But with all that low-end torque and the axle-calming rear sway bar, none of our test drivers said anything about being worried about hauling with the load. The coil-sprung Ram also had a rear anti-sway bar, but it didn't feel nearly as settled as the Nissan.

When it came to towing comfort, the Nissan Titan XD was head and shoulders above the rest, due in large part to its transmission software tuning. Our judges found the grade braking and transmission shifts in the Aisin transmission to be standout features; the exceptionally smart and efficient Aisin held gears properly under load when accelerating from a stop and when braking. The smart grade-shifting and quick downshifts were a huge advantage over the competition.]

1 - 20 of 59 Posts