Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I am not very tow savvy so I wanted to put this question out to the experts in this forum.
Everyone seems to want to know the max the XD will tow and how well it will do. This is all good and fine, but I can't imagine buying just enough truck to tow what I need to tow regularly.
So my question is this. I have a travel trailer that weighs in at 6,500 loaded and I plan to carry maybe 750-1000 max cargo including the passengers in the truck.
Should not the Titan tow that very comfortably? I live in Colorado and will be pulling the passes quite frequently to get to camping destinations.
My 2012 RAM with the 5.7 hemi seems to do okay, but it has to be wound up pretty high going up passes like Eisenhower (ike) and that in 2nd gear.
It doesn't have enough suspension to support the dolphin effect when driving on my neighborhood streets without the WD hitch on. It bottoms out the hitch when crossing the dips between streets.

I welcome your comments and opinions. Thanks.

·
94 Posts
Hello folks, I am not very tow savvy so I wanted to put this question out to the experts in this forum.
Everyone seems to want to know the max the XD will tow and how well it will do. This is all good and fine, but I can't imagine buying just enough truck to tow what I need to tow regularly.
So my question is this. I have a travel trailer that weighs in at 6,500 loaded and I plan to carry maybe 750-1000 max cargo including the passengers in the truck.
Should not the Titan tow that very comfortably? I live in Colorado and will be pulling the passes quite frequently to get to camping destinations.
My 2012 RAM with the 5.7 hemi seems to do okay, but it has to be wound up pretty high going up passes like Eisenhower (ike) and that in 2nd gear.
It doesn't have enough suspension to support the dolphin effect when driving on my neighborhood streets without the WD hitch on. It bottoms out the hitch when crossing the dips between streets.

Without personal experience I cant say for sure but by the numbers and putting together a bit form the various videos and publications, the Titan XD should fit the needs you defined.
My heaviest trailer has a max weight of 7000lbs and I'm pretty sure the Titan would pull that very well. I have some reservations about the max payload on the Pro4X and I'd be running it pretty close to max if the family is with me on my typical camping/hunting trip but if they price it right I can probably live with that.

·
51 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! Are you just going to be hauling on weekends and driving around town with the truck the rest of the time? 6,500 is not a real heavy load but I know those mountains in Colorado are steep. The torque is outstanding for the steep uphills and it seems like the brakes on this truck would be able to handle those steep downhill grades and that load nicely. I don't know how well this truck is going to serve as just a get-around-town truck though. Sounds like it's going to be a bit lumberish so I guess it depends on what's more important to you - the stable tow or the speedy driving around. It seems like no matter what truck you look at, something is compromised in one way or another. Your numbers do fit right in with the XD's capacity though and for towing it would probably be great for you. We are all pretty much just waiting to get a chance to see how it feels when we can test drive one.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input Pyro...I'm thinking the same. I think that I am probably the perfect customer for the Titan XD. A lot will depend on pricing for me as well.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cruz for your thoughts.

I think for me, the towing is more important. The daily drive is short and having the comfort of a mid level trim XD over a base 3/4 ton (because I think that is where the price point will be) will also be nice. Can't wait for this thing to get here so we can get more real world tests and feedback from buyers.

Cheers,

·
58 Posts
The XD will handle your trailer beautifully. If your trailer is loaded properly, there should be something in the neighborhood of 800# on the hitch. Depending on trim level, your XD will still have 700-1200 pounds of payload for passengers and stuff.

I have towed my 8000# Airstream all over the lower 48 with my 2004 Titan SE, which is a far less capable tow vehicle. I am really looking forward to buying an XD for the additional payload, integrated brake controller, and greater weight (= stability). Waiting to see the numbers on the new 5.6 liter gasser version before I decide which powerplant.

Mike

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I'm learning more about towing from this forum which is really good because being safe is the top priority.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts